THE GULF IS DESTROYED FOR 1000 MILLENNIA

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah I was a little fuzzy Sunday morn for sure.  4 hr drive home from the White Mountains, when I wanted to just sleep it off :lol: 

Did you get a chance to go up Mt Washington?

Just now, ckf said:

Did you get a chance to go up Mt Washington?

Nah, couple guys went and hiked it though.  It was basically Thurs-Sat, meetings in the morning, then do whatever you want the rest of the day.  Next year, our event is there though at the Omni hotel, which looks pretty nice. :bc: 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Nah, couple guys went and hiked it though.  It was basically Thurs-Sat, meetings in the morning, then do whatever you want the rest of the day.  Next year, our event is there though at the Omni hotel, which looks pretty nice. :bc: 

mt washington is 1000x better than being at attitash.  One of the great hotels in new england.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

mt washington is 1000x better than being at attitash.  One of the great hotels in new england.  

Yeah Attitash, was ok, just ok.  Omni looks pretty shwanky. :bc: 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah Attitash, was ok, just ok.  Omni looks pretty shwanky. :bc: 

we used to rotate balsams, mt washington, attitash and samoset.  Attitash was the worse of the 4- still fun but not like the others.  

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

It was a pretty cool event...  Watching what the oil company was able to do to stop the flow of oil.  

It was kind of like watching the Chilean miners being rescued in that mine collapse. 

Those were cool news items to watch.....  Now all we get on the news is fake news stories about Trump and Russia.  

We could use a good old big oil spill to get the news onto something else beside the fake partisan bullshit rhetoric about russia that has consumed the news cycle 24/7

Sure why not 11 deaths, huge loss of wildlife and peoples source of income getting fucked up :nuts: 

39 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

we used to rotate balsams, mt washington, attitash and samoset.  Attitash was the worse of the 4- still fun but not like the others.  

Stayed at Balsams 35 years ago on a New Years weekend.  It was pretty cool, but unless they've upgraded it twice since then, no thanks.  It was dated and old even then.  Already looking forward to next year at Mt. Washington.

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Well when I was employed by a major company I didn't want anyone to be able to point at something I said on line and use it against me.  Now that I'm unemployed I don't give a rat fuck what anyone thinks.  

I thought you went back as a contract employee :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I thought you went back as a contract employee :dunno: 

Im doing some consulting work for a couple different projects. I am paid on a day rate. Same amount every day. 

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

How do you like it?

Hahaha. The most money i have ever been paid  just to give my opinion on how to accomplish something.  

I bill about 14 days a month.  I would feel guilty billing more than that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha. The most money i have ever been paid  just to give my opinion on how to accomplish something.  

I bill about 14 days a month.  I would feel guilty billing more than that. 

That's sweet!

9 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Stayed at Balsams 35 years ago on a New Years weekend.  It was pretty cool, but unless they've upgraded it twice since then, no thanks.  It was dated and old even then.  Already looking forward to next year at Mt. Washington.

The Balsams has been closed for several years. They are supposed to be redoing it, but I don't think Les Otten has secured all of the financing yet. http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2017/01/15/les-otten-balsams-ski-resort/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

the oldness was part of the charm, spectacular golf course up at the top of the hill and that speakeasy bar downstairs was a ton of fun

45 minutes ago, ckf said:

The Balsams has been closed for several years. They are supposed to be redoing it, but I don't think Les Otten has secured all of the financing yet. http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2017/01/15/les-otten-balsams-ski-resort/

i don't see that place ever getting off the ground, clearly no investors can see that the vision Otten has will actually make money.  It's too far away IMO,  they should have tried to just save what they had,  spruced it up and kept running it.  At this point with being closed 5 years they prob should just finish tearing down the rest,  can't imagine it's salvageable at this point including the golf course which will need a complete renovation after that much neglect

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the oldness was part of the charm, spectacular golf course up at the top of the hill and that speakeasy bar downstairs was a ton of fun

i don't see that place ever getting off the ground, clearly no investors can see that the vision Otten has will actually make money.  It's too far away IMO,  they should have tried to just save what they had,  spruced it up and kept running it.  At this point with being closed 5 years they prob should just finish tearing down the rest,  can't imagine it's salvageable at this point including the golf course which will need a complete renovation after that much neglect

I would like to see the Balsams make a come back. But I tend to agree with you that it not be a good return for investors. I've been there numerous times in the 90's for conventions of an automotive group we belong to.

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

I *think* I read somewhere that they have been maintaining the golf course.

The Omni is pretty cool for sure.  It's old too but they have done a great job of maintaining it.  I think it was constructed between 1900 and 1902.  The most incredible thing about the hotel is the IMF room.  This is where the Bretton Woods monetary conference was held in the summer of 1944, a while before the end of WW2.  Over 700 delegates from 44 nations gathered to establish rules for international banking and commerce.   Both the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund were established at this conference.  The US dollar was designated as the reserve currency linked to the price of gold.  

We were at the Omni the day after OT bought us dinner at DiMillos in Portland last fall.  It's worth a visit for sure

14611124_10153781511616513_1622783078391

1920px-Mt._Washington_Hotel.jpg

14590334_10153781507376513_3771450934090

14523189_10153781511706513_5133692287065

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The Omni is pretty cool for sure.  It's old too but they have done a great job of maintaining it.  I think it was constructed between 1900 and 1902.  The most incredible thing about the hotel is the IMF room.  This is where the Bretton Woods monetary conference was held in the summer of 1944, a while before the end of WW2.  Over 700 delegates from 44 nations gathered to establish rules for international banking and commerce.   Both the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund were established at this conference.  The US dollar was designated as the reserve currency linked to the price of gold.  

We were at the Omni the day after OT bought us dinner at DiMillos in Portland last fall.  It's worth a visit for sure

14611124_10153781511616513_1622783078391

1920px-Mt._Washington_Hotel.jpg

14590334_10153781507376513_3771450934090

14523189_10153781511706513_5133692287065

I've been at those same spots a few times. I've lost plenty of golf balls on the course. It's a great hotel. I hoping to go there next fall.

• Like 1

Just now, T1R9sledder said:

I've been at those same spots a few times. I've lost plenty of golf balls on the course. It's a great hotel. I hoping to go there next fall.

Rooms are a little spendy but you get to be in a part of our country's history.  I think they were $500/night when we were there.  They average 95% occupancy rate throughout the year.  Dinner on the back deck looking at Mt Washington was incredible.  

• Like 1

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Rooms are a little spendy but you get to be in a part of our country's history.  I think they were $500/night when we were there.  They average 95% occupancy rate throughout the year.  Dinner on the back deck looking at Mt Washington was incredible.  

That would be about right on the price. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to pay for my room. I'm on the board of directors of an automotive/insurance group. We have had our annual meetings there .

Just now, T1R9sledder said:

That would be about right on the price. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to pay for my room. I'm on the board of directors of an automotive/insurance group. We have had our annual meetings there .

Very cool.  It would be an awesome place for a conference.