Dishwasher question...good brand.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Fucking Maytag just crapped the bed after only 3 years and looking for a reasonably priced replacement...perusing Sears and I found a decent Samsung and Frigidare. Looking for a stainless with the top of the door controls not front of the door....suggestions for under 500 hundo?

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

Everyone seems to like Bosch.  That's what we have and it works well.  I'd buy another for sure.

I'll see what they have....this Maytag just pisses me off...that parts it might need are almost  as much as the fucker cost and when I pulled apart the door and front of the control panel I found broken plastic bullshit in addition to whatever electrical gremlins it has.:bashhead:

my samsung doesn't dry worth shit, to save energy it doesn't bake the drying it's super dependent on having rinse aid in the dispenser for some reason and run on sanitize.  i like the dual compartment stove we got would not buy the fridge or dw again.

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

my samsung doesn't dry worth shit, to save energy it doesn't bake the drying it's super dependent on having rinse aid in the dispenser for some reason and run on sanitize.  i like the dual compartment stove we got would not buy the fridge or dw again.

Hate my Samsung dishwasher....lots of problems with it...always fucking with it....its gone the next time I make it to a home depot or lowes.

i had a bosch in the old house. trouble free for 9 years. the unit doesn't have a drying cycle. it runs at such high water temps that the residual heat is supposed to be enough to dry the dishes. sometimes they still came out wet. sure got dishes clean. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

i had a bosch in the old house. trouble free for 9 years. the unit doesn't have a drying cycle. it runs at such high water temps that the residual heat is supposed to be enough to dry the dishes. sometimes they still came out wet. sure got dishes clean. 

I need to dump the water out of the top of glasses or bowls but otherwise they pretty much come out dry if I wait long enough for them to cool down.

I have a Bosch here that's probably 15 years old (came with house). I've never had it serviced. But I don't think Bosch is the same any more, believe they were bought out.

I'm pretty sure either Maytag or Whirlpool make most models now under a different name (not Bosch or Samsung though).

I have a Samsung.  Good middle range appliance...same with most new fucking idiotic energy efficient models though (and posted here) drying is iffy at best with plastics.  Other than that...been good for 4 years.  I think it retailed for $7-800 and I picked it up for ~$5-600.

Check all the big box stores for open box and display model sales.  Some great deals sometimes.  Best Buy lists them online.

We have a Fisher Paykel, my wife had to have it.  It's only about 6 years old but it works flawless.  They are a little more expensive but because you can typically wash all your dishes in one drawer they use way less energy and are way way more efficient than a typical dish washer.  It does a fantastic job of washing and drying all the dishes even on the shortest most economical cycle.  I think it's rated to use 75% less energy than a normal dish washer when you use just one drawer on the short cycle.

I would definitely buy another if I was forced to.  

7 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'm pretty sure either Maytag or Whirlpool make most models now under a different name (not Bosch or Samsung though).

I have a Samsung.  Good middle range appliance...same with most new fucking idiotic energy efficient models though (and posted here) drying is iffy at best with plastics.  Other than that...been good for 4 years.  I think it retailed for $7-800 and I picked it up for ~$5-600.

Check all the big box stores for open box and display model sales.  Some great deals sometimes.  Best Buy lists them online.

Maytag, Whirlpool & Amana are the same company.

Electrolux & Frigidaire are the  same company, Electrolux also owns Jonsereds, Husqvarna, Weed Eater, Poulan, Rally, and American Yard Products.

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

We have a Fisher Paykel, my wife had to have it.  It's only about 6 years old but it works flawless.  They are a little more expensive but because you can typically wash all your dishes in one drawer they use way less energy and are way way more efficient than a typical dish washer.  It does a fantastic job of washing and drying all the dishes even on the shortest most economical cycle.  I think it's rated to use 75% less energy than a normal dish washer when you use just one drawer on the short cycle.

I would definitely buy another if I was forced to.  

I got one of those off a job. Parted it out on line and made a few $$$. 

41 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have a Bosch here that's probably 15 years old (came with house). I've never had it serviced. But I don't think Bosch is the same any more, believe they were bought out.

I've got an 8 yo Bosch.   Thing is unbelievably quiet.   Reliable and cleans well too.  

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I got one of those off a job. Parted it out on line and made a few $$$. 

The newer ones are very reliable and super efficient.  For just 2 people they are fantastic dish washers.  A little more than most people want to spend though

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I've got an 8 yo Bosch.   Thing is unbelievably quiet.   Reliable and cleans well too.  

Bosch is one of the if not the very best dish washers for the money.  Thats what i wanted but my wife wanted the Fisher Paykel. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The newer ones are very reliable and super efficient.  For just 2 people they are fantastic dish washers.  A little more than most people want to spend though

They are hands down the best for small loads. My brother has one that is the two drawer. He was having problems with it when he bought the house. I pulled it out and found the drain wasn't done right. The drain line is critical on them. Someone had slapped it in like it was a normal washer. I may look at the 2 drawer one when it comes time to replace my 1985 Kenmore.

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

They are hands down the best for small loads. My brother has one that is the two drawer. He was having problems with it when he bought the house. I pulled it out and found the drain wasn't done right. The drain line is critical on them. Someone had slapped it in like it was a normal washer. I may look at the 2 drawer one when it comes time to replace my 1985 Kenmore.

Yep.  They are fantastic dish washers.  The top drawer holds a lot.  We almost never use the bottom drawer unless it's after a big party or gathering.  

Fisher-and-Paykel-DD24DCHTX7-Profile.jpg