So You Wanna Get Into The House Rental Biz Eh.......

Just now, Ez ryder said:

no 12 mo .but I have been at this shit for 40 yrs and have seen and delt with enough shit to take the time to take a day every 3 mo to go over every property I own and manage . I go in under the pretense of mechanical inspections . but mostly looking for people fucking up a property .

Our family has also been in the rental business since 1966 so I get that, but its still pretty aggressive.  And believe me we've had some scum bags fucking up some shit.    You raise some good points though.

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

the kind of mens lodge that houses and works sorry employs recent "immigrants" from Asia .   

I was thinking more of something with a bar, game room, cigar lounge, large grill/fire/smoker pit, etc.  No women allowed.

It'd drive the wive's nuts.

1 hour ago, FAT DAVE said:

I didnt ask for details...it was all very shocking for him....the place will have to be demolished. Its really sad....I feel bad for the dogs more then anything.

Agree.

4 hours ago, xcr700 said:

That's disgusting.  And how the fuck does someone live with a dead person and animals in the house

Mental illness.

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

I have mandatory property inspections 4 times a yr . don't like it don't sign the lease . I also have 12 hr not 24 for notice in there  

It's what sharp landlords do :thumb: 

7 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Mental illness.

It's what sharp landlords do :thumb: 

You cant overrule the landlord and tenant act guides regardless of how you feel.  Professional tenants know the laws and will teach them to you the hard way.

Years ago I used to do pre demolition inspections for a bunch of builders and wrecking contractors. You have to test for asbestos and remove any prior to demolition. I bet you half of the houses I inspected looked kinda like that. Some were so full of shit I could barely push the door open. I always feared one day I would find a body in the trash piles. They would sell the house and just walk away. Still food and drinks on the table. Just left everything. It's way more common than you think. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Years ago I used to do pre demolition inspections for a bunch of builders and wrecking contractors. You have to test for asbestos and remove any prior to demolition. I bet you half of the houses I inspected looked kinda like that. Some were so full of shit I could barely push the door open. I always feared one day I would find a body in the trash piles. They would sell the house and just walk away. Still food and drinks on the table. Just left everything. It's way more common than you think. 

The one takeaway I do have from all of it, is a pretty dim view of humanity in general.  To think that millions of people seem plenty content to live like this is beyond troubling.

• Like 1

Just now, DriftBusta said:

The one takeaway I do have from all of it, is a pretty dim view of humanity in general.  To think that millions of people seem plenty content to live like this is beyond troubling.

I know, it's complete filth. The wife and the neighbor lady we're walking around the neighborhood just the other night and they saw an older woman sitting in her car, car running and she looks passed out. So they check to see if she is ok. She is feeling dizzy or light headed or whatever so they help her into her house and she is a total hoarder. House is piled high with garbage and stuff. They called the paramedics and waited til they showed up. But this is a newer house and looks rather clean from the outside. Inside is a total pigsty. Crazy for sure.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You ever watch hoarders on A&E?

36 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

IMO , This landlord just took the money and ran with it .   When a landlord cares about his investments  , he will have in place a signed rental agreement that will state that the landlord  can enter the property  with notice given to the renter to do routine  maintenance  to the property. Furnace  filters , gutter cleaning , windows and screens , etc.  This should have never happened with a landlord that gives a fuck.

Probably a farmer who bought some land that happened to have a yard on it. If he's like me he doesn't give a shit about the house and doesn't mind demolishing it 

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

as is . most of the ones sold by the lawyers/ fiduciary's I work for sell when some one can no longer live alone get sold full of shit as is . 

btw I went in to a house that a guy was melting in to the bed over 25 days of summer . the rug hard wood and sub floor had to come out

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Probably a farmer who bought some land that happened to have a yard on it. If he's like me he doesn't give a shit about the house and doesn't mind demolishing it 

Well to make a long story short it use to be my buddies uncles house and farm...they moved into an old age coop thing and he bought the farm....and you are probably right about the demolition

We had pretty good sucess with rentals, but we did full detached homes.  Most prospective tenants would not want to fill out a rental application that agreed to a credit check even though none was performed.  That would eliminate 75% of the dead wood.  In 10 years with three properties, we lost one month rent due to a common law split we didn't care to persue.

Just now, FAT DAVE said:

Well to make a long story short it use to be my buddies uncles house and farm...they moved into an old age coop thing and he bought the farm....and you are probably right about the demolition

I just sell them off now if they're a bungalow. Can get between 10 and 30 grand generally.  Move the house off and level the yard. 

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

I just sell them off now if they're a bungalow. Can get between 10 and 30 grand generally.  Move the house off and level the yard. 

In hindsight im sure he wouldve done that.

8 minutes ago, Anler said:

I know, it's complete filth. The wife and the neighbor lady we're walking around the neighborhood just the other night and they saw an older woman sitting in her car, car running and she looks passed out. So they check to see if she is ok. She is feeling dizzy or light headed or whatever so they help her into her house and she is a total hoarder. House is piled high with garbage and stuff. They called the paramedics and waited til they showed up. But this is a newer house and looks rather clean from the outside. Inside is a total pigsty. Crazy for sure.  

lots of old people are that way I have seen it many times . my own mother-in-law had dear tracks through her house and cabin . she just kept ordering from QVC everything they sell she has 4 . no shit . I was over there again tonight . I pulled out 3 dyson fans 2 in the box and 4 electric fireplaces and 3 newcountertop convection ovens and 1 used one . every one I know gets a new oven for the toy hauler this week .not sure what they are put like 5 air fryers ? have to read the book . this has been going on for weeks .

she must have had some sort of recurring frozen food deliveries because the deep freeze and side by side are full of shit like Omaha steaks and burgers and chicken fucking crazy.

also her whole life in to high end jewelry and hand bags . lets just say from hand bags alone we can pay a year of memory care  

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We had pretty good sucess with rentals, but we did full detached homes.  Most prospective tenants would not want to fill out a rental application that agreed to a credit check even though none was performed.  That would eliminate 75% of the dead wood.  In 10 years with three properties, we lost one month rent due to a common law split we didn't care to persue.

? hell I charge them for the credit check and background check as part of the application.    

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

You ever watch hoarders on A&E?

I can't. :lol:  Shit skeeves me out.  We had a death in one unit from a drug overdose.  That was bad enough.  I have a good buddy who had to do a cleanout, fixup estate sale deal, and he showed me pictures.  Tyvek suits, masks, etc., fuck that.  I was in the shit business before, and that has nothing on this.

Edited by DriftBusta

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

? hell I charge them for the credit check and background check as part of the application.    

We didn't.  The threat was enough to scare the ones with cash in hand ready to sign on the spot.  

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We didn't.  The threat was enough to scare the ones with cash in hand ready to sign on the spot.  

lol cash in hand . my first own rental property was a triplex that a slum lord I would do work for owed me money and did not want to pay actual money so he held the paper and used money he owed me as the down.

I was a shit hole in a shit hole part of town . any one from MN knows the area late 80s 2 blocks behind Chicago lake liquors lol . I rented to straight crack dealers they paid cash  for the whole place . it was not like the property's on the other side were not the same shit lol. it got raided 3 times and the 2nd time the cops did not find all the crack but I did $$$ that was the down for my next property.

crazy thing was the guy I rented to got out of prison like 5 yrs after renting from me . he called me and asked if I was still working one houses .

he bought a apartment building in North . put in his girls name .

Edited by Ez ryder

18 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I have used a non-refundable  rental application fee for years, weeds out most but not all issues. 

ok so he is on parole and cant be seen making money living in a nice place so he keeps the studio in fr as his apartment. we made a door in the closet to other unit he put big cash in to it Miami vice shit lol all smooth shiny white  cabs/ neon/ floor level tub /straight niggerish. guy was 1/2 black 1/2 Columbian if I remember he spent over 30k on renovations in the early 90s in a building worth less than 90k lol .

he endied up getting put back in because the chick that was pissing for him failed the drug test   

Edited by Ez ryder

15 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I can't. :lol:  Shit skeeves me out.  We had a death in one unit from a drug overdose.  That was bad enough.  I have a good buddy who had to do a cleanout, fixup estate sale deal, and he showed me pictures.  Tyvek suits, masks, etc., fuck that.  I was in the shit business before, and that has nothing on this.

I cant watch it either...what I saw today was pretty messed up...I should have stayed outside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FAT DAVE said:

I cant watch it either...what I saw today was pretty messed up...I should have stayed outside.

now you will have to be sifting through your shit for worms lol . no really I know a guy who got worms and he swears it was from spending time in a place like that .

sweet dreams

• Like 1