Any welders in here?

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

So you guys think a wire feed my be best?  Remember, just light welding fabrication.  Maybe a quick "stitch" every now and then on sleds or what not.

Oh...I'm definitely wanting electric.

Save yourself from weak welds and blowing holes in stuff, let your fingers do the walking and your stuff will be repaired for less money and it will be done right.

This Jim guy sounds good: Workmanship Give John A Call. "you Have A Hole Out of Round-We Have the Solution"    

https://411.info/business/Portable-Bore-Repair-Jim-s-Welding-Duluth-MN-15917276

http://www.lakesideduluth.com/Home/DuluthMNAreaDirectory/BuildingContractors/Welding/tabid/2889/language/en-US/Default.aspx

If that doesn't work you can call the Airgas store and they will know the small guys running around with portable equipment in the back of there truck.

http://www.airgas.com/category/Welding-Products-Welders-Accessories/_/N-8co?gclid=CN6D9aO0zNQCFYS3wAodR1cIvA&utm_arg=SEM:Google:Welding_Local:Welding_Supplies_Cities_Broad:Non-brand:196519857750:Airgas:PPC::+welding +duluth:b:acquisition&s_kwcid=AL!4811!3!196519857750!b!!g!!%2Bwelding %2Bduluth&ef_id=WUkS4wAABLk7fjBF:20170620121947:s

5 minutes ago, FAT DAVE said:

I have the same welder and I have a little 130 110v....I actually use the little 130 more...its very handy.....and does a good job...you just have to know how to weld. :lol:

It don't matter what machine you are using those are the most important words when it comes to welding :thumb: 

I know this because we had welding class when I was a 3rd year apprentice, my welding skills blow :lol: 

learn to weld, its  easy, being dependant on someone else is stupid, a welder is a tool every man should have

A welder is like any tool, buy a good one and itll last, i bought my Lincoln in 1989,  i use it all the time still

Edited by MiSledder
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

learn to weld, its  easy, being dependant on someone else is stupid, a welder is a tool every man should have

A welder is like any tool, buy a good one and itll last, i bought my Lincoln in 1989,  i use it all the time still

English is easy, every man should know the basics of spelling and sentence structure.

58 minutes ago, MiSledder said:

Use mine almost daily, been a great trouble free piece of equipment.  The more expensive  Miller, not so much. 

36 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

English is easy, every man should know the basics of spelling and sentence structure.

dont be butthurt vince because I think your comment was idiotic and lazy, You suck at welding and cant do it so no one should be able to either I guess, You gave shitty advice

The only way to get good at welding is to do it a lot. I have a 220v Lincoln stick welder and a Lincoln Weld-pak 100 wire feed welder. I only weld once or twice a year so I'm not very good but can get the job done. For heavy steel I'll use the stick welder but for lighter jobs the wire feed works best. I have the regulator and solenoid valve to convert the wire feed to gas but never got around to the conversion.

For most jobs you can't go wrong with a Lincoln wire feed welder.

Edited by 2strokemerc

This is my recommendation. Basic equipment for the DIYer, farmer, backyard mechanic. Will handle 95% of your welding, fabrication tasks. I could NOT exist without this set-up. 

The convenience of being able to cut/weld in your garage at ANYTIME, is priceless. I don't think you can call a welder at anytime, without paying a lot. The money you spend calling someone, you could put towards your new Lincoln 225, ( $295.00 at Home Depot ). If after a year or so you want to sell it, you will get almost all your money back. Just my .02c. 

P1090045.JPG

10 hours ago, polaris550 said:

This is my recommendation. Basic equipment for the DIYer, farmer, backyard mechanic. Will handle 95% of your welding, fabrication tasks. I could NOT exist without this set-up. 

The convenience of being able to cut/weld in your garage at ANYTIME, is priceless. I don't think you can call a welder at anytime, without paying a lot. The money you spend calling someone, you could put towards your new Lincoln 225, ( $295.00 at Home Depot ). If after a year or so you want to sell it, you will get almost all your money back. Just my .02c. 

P1090045.JPG

I have the AC/DC version of your Lincoln which is nice for certain welding needs.

Zam, I weld for a living. That said keep it simple. If you're looking to weld mostly thinner metals stick with a 110v mig welder that can be had at any home supply store. Get one that is capable of using gas. Some welders will have settings that will automatically set the wire feed and voltage by the thickness of the metal you choose. Most rigs will come with a small spool of wire, .023 or .030 (wire size) as well as spare tips. In my honest opinion mig is the way to go and is the easiest to learn on. Look to Youtube for some vids on beginning mig welding. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any additional questions. 

Edited by Skidude600
  • Like 2

At home I have a Miller 212 MIG setup with a spool gun for aluminum and stainless. I also have a Everlast 200 amp Tig/stick/plasma cutter rig. If I had to give up one machine I would be hard pressed to pick one. The MIG is simple and easy but the Tig/stick/ plasma cutter can do more.

This is what I have.  Don't use them that much but definitely nice to have around.

Way more welder than I need but I bought the pair lightly used.  Probably the first and last set I'll ever need to buy.  Hobart is a good brand for the backyard mechanic and around the farm.

ZF3PkWstX041iprvuQkM9n_qh1CEHoJe40peBSeZBHnzpEl7frTBE0lBZgIr3SDVzetAcqiL1sWo0I_4AotJczNHIetLgYHXvwvolnIAMbWzVNOeWa6paSVIK8OHKrpA-IJr1Fl02cpS7dGnzdpuSH5MvV0m8xOAsOrShLX1w72kvzP46-aSXRmBFP3gcw9avHFT18GHNCtK_3w4J60K7-GpLtfM7XFlU8el8iPIspgPbrCJgRAfwjlF9ApunYIf15Aqn5BmjfXSJBdw5j0XPYPVsEIhTCdyNKfPAfps3aZowKTmvYj-IHfqyGVieisXAf02qBSdcsX1glE4F5NFmCJD0QAQp89Jy2dyHigqbz22kMSQT-VG_cSudG-eNySMpV5Evr_8pyniCA1FbGnlaff084UGOuCUWkTVcpunOA5EXWTrkH1nTtzshH10Ze5NworY8xbVEjEWEZe-KPuPVarbnZjenNg2t9Ks_Ny1kywdefcAnx3tzxDz6tQ554L5knrwO9TdzBWCuAMor7NJNeAzWvbBGPdNrbrltjNR9VK3o-hys9LKoLjPoz4V7fJY869zfkqqxzmzP9EeJyvhF7W-5V0eestKGj_WIkm6sRpYVd_O=w1135-h638-no

11 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

This is what I have.  Don't use them that much but definitely nice to have around.

Way more welder than I need but I bought the pair lightly used.  Probably the first and last set I'll ever need to buy.  Hobart is a good brand for the backyard mechanic and around the farm.

ZF3PkWstX041iprvuQkM9n_qh1CEHoJe40peBSeZBHnzpEl7frTBE0lBZgIr3SDVzetAcqiL1sWo0I_4AotJczNHIetLgYHXvwvolnIAMbWzVNOeWa6paSVIK8OHKrpA-IJr1Fl02cpS7dGnzdpuSH5MvV0m8xOAsOrShLX1w72kvzP46-aSXRmBFP3gcw9avHFT18GHNCtK_3w4J60K7-GpLtfM7XFlU8el8iPIspgPbrCJgRAfwjlF9ApunYIf15Aqn5BmjfXSJBdw5j0XPYPVsEIhTCdyNKfPAfps3aZowKTmvYj-IHfqyGVieisXAf02qBSdcsX1glE4F5NFmCJD0QAQp89Jy2dyHigqbz22kMSQT-VG_cSudG-eNySMpV5Evr_8pyniCA1FbGnlaff084UGOuCUWkTVcpunOA5EXWTrkH1nTtzshH10Ze5NworY8xbVEjEWEZe-KPuPVarbnZjenNg2t9Ks_Ny1kywdefcAnx3tzxDz6tQ554L5knrwO9TdzBWCuAMor7NJNeAzWvbBGPdNrbrltjNR9VK3o-hys9LKoLjPoz4V7fJY869zfkqqxzmzP9EeJyvhF7W-5V0eestKGj_WIkm6sRpYVd_O=w1135-h638-no

Yup, I've had 2 Hobart's, sold 1 to my son-in-law and still have the other, both have been trouble free, I'd buy another one.

I ordered the two X to fit your big pumpkin Zambroni. With this set up , I figured you would stay under the hood longer for more practice. A small oxy/acet set up is a must if you are going to get a welder. You should also pick up a 18v Milwaukee band saw.:pc:

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

On 6/25/2017 at 8:44 AM, XCR1250 said:

I have the AC/DC version of your Lincoln which is nice for certain welding needs.

The AC/DC is a better machine, and more expensive, obviously. I don't think he needs an AC/DC machine for what he wants. A 180 or 225 AC Buzz with some 6011 rods, and he's good to go. 

Somebody could teach him how to arc weld in an hour or so. He should get an oxy/acet torch kit too. Worth their weight in gold, if you're doing your own repairs, fabricating. 

10 hours ago, polaris550 said:

The AC/DC is a better machine, and more expensive, obviously. I don't think he needs an AC/DC machine for what he wants. A 180 or 225 AC Buzz with some 6011 rods, and he's good to go. 

Somebody could teach him how to arc weld in an hour or so. He should get an oxy/acet torch kit too. Worth their weight in gold, if you're doing your own repairs, fabricating. 

I use lots of 6013's unless welding vertical, then 6011's more, I have many different rod numbers & diameters including rods for cast iron.

Edited by XCR1250

4 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I use lots of 6013's unless welding vertical, then 6011's more, I have many different rod numbers & diameters including rods for cast iron.

I think the 6013 leaves a smoother-looking bead, but the 6011 is good for penetration on dirty, rusty metal. Most of my repairs are on older, mower decks, trailer fender brackets and such, so I go with the 6011. I need some rods, I'm out. Tractor Supply has a much better selection than Home Depot. The Depot seems to carry mostly 1/8.