Any welders in here?

Been toying with the idea of getting something.  Now, I really don't absolutely need one and have never owned one but because my smoker needs some fabrication, and having one in the past would have come in handy several times, I'm actually thinking of pulling the trigger.  Looking for the simplest, most bang for the buck.  I may only use it once or twice a year.  I'm running 100 amps to my garage so need to stick under that.

Ideas?

You can go to your local farm store and pick up something cheap to stick metal together . If it's twice a year,just do Harbor Freight. Sounds like you should get a wire feed,if you are doing a lot of light gage repair. The little Miller 115v ones we use are over 2 grand,but they can repair 2" scg 40 pipe.

Edited by Woodtick

41 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Been toying with the idea of getting something.  Now, I really don't absolutely need one and have never owned one but because my smoker needs some fabrication, and having one in the past would have come in handy several times, I'm actually thinking of pulling the trigger.  Looking for the simplest, most bang for the buck.  I may only use it once or twice a year.  I'm running 200 amps to my garage so need to stick under that.

Ideas?

200 amp?  Wtf you doing?

I had a Lincoln wire feed with out gas . it worked for what I needed sort of . kept a yr and sold so I could buy a mig to also do alloy for trailers and such . I got a refurbished Hobart handler 190 . then when I needed to start playing with alloy I got the $200 buck spool gun . I cant remember but pretty sure the welder was like 500.

I am no welder but it works for what I need . my bud who welds says it is a nice little toy but what ever we don't all need a welder perm mounted in the bed of a truck taking up 1/4 of the bed lol .

I know a guy who got some yellow off brand at northern 2 yrs ago he uses his way more than me and has had no issues . he got a spool gun with his and has built a nice sled deck with it . built a pretty sweet set of gates for his driveway/house. then had a few neighbors want custom gates . he now has a waiting list for them lol . welder has more than paied for it self for him . kind of funny guy is pulling a ez 200 and building gates for a part time job lol but he likes it

Go to your local Tractor Supply (I'm assuming you have them out there)and get a Hobart brand 140 or 180. Hobart is geared more towards the DIY  and is a middle of the road welder that, i believe is manufactured by Miller. I know Harbor Freight has been mentioned. I've used one and while it will stick 2 pcs of metal together, i would worry about longevity. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. 

12 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

. I know Harbor Freight has been mentioned. I've used one and while it will stick 2 pcs of metal together, i would worry about longevity. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. 

yes and no . harbor is very hit or miss. I own a flooring stapler from there  that has never been in the shop yet my Bostich has been in shop 2x with 1/2 the use .

same shit with a small jack hammer from harbor had that fucker for prob 10 yrs I have duct tape holding the body together has ripped out 10s of thousands of feet of old tile and cement base no issue . the bosh has done less and is on its last leg. then you buy some shit and it wont finish a 30 min job .

Some good advice here guys.  Thanks.  I don't mind spending a bit more as it's been my experience that even if something isn't used much, the cheap shit tends to fail when it is needed anyway.  

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Some good advice here guys.  Thanks.  I don't mind spending a bit more as it's been my experience that even if something isn't used much, the cheap shit tends to fail when it is needed anyway.  

also shit like that is a EZ sell in a few yrs . when selling off brand shit it becomes a hard sell

Just now, Zambroski said:

So you guys think I wire feed my be best?  Remember, just light welding fabrication.  Maybe a quick "stitch" every now and then on sleds or what not.

Yes. Most versatile and easiest to control. Get yourself a decent auto-darkening welding helmet, also. 

and some vice grips / magnet corners/  good gloves and a few hundo of other shit to play with your new toy lol.

if you plan on playing with aluminum I would deff make sure you buy one that you can put a spool gun on it. I have never had luck pushing alloy with out one. I always ended up with a birds nest of wire in the welder

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

So you guys think a wire feed my be best?  Remember, just light welding fabrication.  Maybe a quick "stitch" every now and then on sleds or what not.

Oh...I'm definitely wanting electric.

That would be my guess.  Although I haven't done much welding since HS.

Fuck another gadget to accumulate.:lol:

10 hours ago, f7ben said:

I got welded three days in a row this weekend ....does that count 

I already have that type of equipment. :lmao:

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That would be my guess.  Although I haven't done much welding since HS.

Fuck another gadget to accumulate.:lol:

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  If I didn't need to give my smoker fire box some serious refab...not sure I'd bother.  There's also been a few other things over the years where it would have been nice to own one.  I don't know, may give me another something to fool with for a while. Probably melt my finger tips and go blind the first day. :lol:

*******Good tips here guys!  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I already have that type of equipment. :lmao:

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  If I didn't need to give my smoker fire box some serious refab...not sure I'd bother.  There's also been a few other things over the years where it would have been nice to own one.  I don't know, may give me another something to fool with for a while. Probably melt my finger tips and go blind the first day. :lol:

*******Good tips here guys!  Thanks!

I'm sure it will come in handy.  There have been a few times I could have used one.

11 hours ago, MiSledder said:

The lincoln 180 dual voltage 110/230 with gas, never buy another welder again

I have the same welder and I have a little 130 110v....I actually use the little 130 more...its very handy.....and does a good job...you just have to know how to weld. :lol: