London Hi Rise Fire, Could it Happen Here?

revrnd

Just wondering if there are any GTA firefighters on here. Watching the news last night and saw the apartment tower engulfed. We've all seen fires in high rises in the GTA, but those are usually confined to a few units. I don't recall seeing anything that resembled The Towering Inferno.

Any comments as to if something like that could happen in Ontario?

I'm away for a few days, so no replies from me doesn't mean I'm ignoring the thread.

Different building codes in England. That building was built in the 60's or 70's so that question can't be answered.  Canada doesn't compare.  Matchbox building IMO.....Canada building codes and fire requirements are different

Edited by Poncho

Yes....the quote from the contractor said...they met all the building codes........the siding sure burned in a hurry......we will see what the investigation reveals

Edited by Poncho

Got home last night & checking the 'net, sounds like a sheathing w/ insulation sandwiched between alum' panels probably caused the rapid spread. On a similar vein I've seen multiple story motels (frame construction) catch fire during construction. I'm surprised buildings that big could be built of wood. Mind you the sprinkler systems wouldn't be operational @ the time. Once completed that may limit the spread of fire (should it happen).