Black fly & mosquito season sucks

This year seems to be a lot worse than normal due to the damp spring we've been having. What does everyone do to help keep them under control in your yard? We have used the tiki torches with citronella oil in the past, but I'm not sure if it really helps :dunno:

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

This year seems to be a lot worse than normal due to the damp spring we've been having. What does everyone do to help keep them under control in your yard? We have used the tiki torches with citronella oil in the past, but I'm not sure if it really helps :dunno:

stay the fuck inside....or quit being a pussy.

:lol:

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ckf said:

Image result for burgess insect foggerI used this bad boy Sat. and Sunday. It did the job on the bugs and neighbors.:lol::bc:

Edited by T1R9sledder
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ckf said:

Deep Woods Off or have my wife with me. They like her blood a whole lot more than they like mine.

Yeah, Deep woods works well.  But, my 6th Year up in N MN and at least my property I haven't seen a big problem with either.  We always seem to have a decent breeze though so that helps.  Now Southern Minny was awful for both.  

Ben's 100 has always been my go to bug dope if I'm going to be out in the woods. I just hate to use it when I'm just going to be hanging around the house. We have one of those screen gazebos, but hardly ever use it because when we are outside we are usually playing ball with Izzy.

BEN125SPR.jpg

If we are sitting on the deck we'll sometimes put out a couple of box fans. The mosquitos don't fly well in the breeze created.

Edited by 02sled
  • Like 1

Just now, 02sled said:

If we are sitting on the deck and we'll sometimes put out a couple of box fans. The mosquitos don't fly well in the breeze created.

Good idea :thumb:

58 minutes ago, ckf said:

Try a bat box. We had an unreal amount of mosquitos and black flys here years ago. Put up a bat box and after some moved in ,we have way less little bastards flying around.  But you want to know what's worse than those ???? 

FUCKIN REACH AROUND ANAL GAPPING NIGGER COCK LOVING WASPS !!!!!

Fuckin every year I gots to deal with the little cocksuckers.  And every year I get stung at least 5 times. Wife is allergic so it's a huge issue.  What a stupid useless fuckin insect

• Like 1

We use the Off lanterns on the porch and rear deck when the awnings out. They're the best we have found for mosquitos and as far as black flies I don't think anything works on the fkrs and usually they're gone early evening. We have a bat house that I haven't put up yet. It has to be a certain height and face the right direction so it says on the instructions

4 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Never heard of a bat box. What is it, and who sells them ?

We made our own. Kinda pia but worth it in the end. It's a bird house for bats. And bats apparently eat a shit load of insects. 

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/plans-projects/build-bat-house

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, ckf said:

Ben's 100 has always been my go to bug dope if I'm going to be out in the woods. I just hate to use it when I'm just going to be hanging around the house. We have one of those screen gazebos, but hardly ever use it because when we are outside we are usually playing ball with Izzy.

BEN125SPR.jpg

Just a thought if you want to avoid overusing the deet I use a mixture of lemongrass oil, eucalyptus oil and water. Mix in a small squirt bottle and spray it on the dog and on my shoes and bottom of my pants....seems to work and it smells good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, T1R9sledder said:

Image result for burgess insect foggerI used this bad boy Sat. and Sunday. It did the job on the bugs and neighbors.:lol::bc:

Foggers works great. We live in the woods, best thing I found.  Running a fan on your deck works good for mosquitoes too.

10 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Was up at camp over the weekend. Nothing works on that black satin fly.

The old saying around here is that the black flies arrive by Mother's day, and gone by Father's day.