Courtney Force’s car explodes in NHRA New England Nationals qualifying

16 minutes ago, Sal Rosenberg said:

That's some sea level horsepower right there .

It will be interesting to see if they break any records this weekend. I'm going to try to get Rob to take his RS down to Epping this summer to see how he can do. Hell, I think he is younger than John Force :bc:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

It will be interesting to see if they break any records this weekend. I'm going to try to get Rob to take his RS down to Epping this summer to see how he can do. Hell, I think he is younger than John Force :bc:

I wanted to swing in the New England Dragway while I was the general area last Fall but it wasn't in the cards.  We were probably only 5-6 miles from the track when we were on 95 headed to Portsmouth on our way to Libbys Oceanside RV Park.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I wanted to swing in the New England Dragway while I was the general area last Fall but it wasn't in the cards.  We were probably only 5-6 miles from the track when we were on 95 headed to Portsmouth on our way to Libbys Oceanside RV Park.  

I used to go on the "run what you brung" night back in the late 80's. The fun part was always on the way home :lol:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I used to go on the "run what you brung" night back in the late 80's. The fun part was always on the way home :lol:

Up until about 5 years ago I was totally consumed with Drag Racing.  We went to at least 1 NHRA National Event every year for the last 25 years.  After I sold my dragster in 2012, I kinda lost interest.  One day before the 2012 season started a guy called and asked if my car was for sale.  I said, it can be but I'm going to put a price on it that you will not be able to refuse so you better be serious.  He said Name your price and I did.  Word spread pretty quick and within 2 week I had sold the chassis, all my spare motors, my spare transmissions, spare blowers, spare magnetos, race trailer, dually and every spare part and tool I had for the racing operation.  I had a medium sized pile of cash in my hand so I bought a Jeep and a Motorhome and started having fun away from the drag strip.  

Now that I'm retired I'm sure we will get back into the NHRA National Event thing though.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Up until about 5 years ago I was totally consumed with Drag Racing.  We went to at least 1 NHRA National Event every year for the last 25 years.  After I sold my dragster in 2012, I kinda lost interest.  One day before the 2012 season started a guy called and asked if my car was for sale.  I said, it can be but I'm going to put a price on it that you will not be able to refuse so you better be serious.  He said Name your price and I did.  Word spread pretty quick and within 2 week I had sold the chassis, all my spare motors, my spare transmissions, spare blowers, spare magnetos, race trailer, dually and every spare part and tool I had for the racing operation.  I had a medium sized pile of cash in my hand so I bought a Jeep and a Motorhome and started having fun away from the drag strip.  

Now that I'm retired I'm sure we will get back into the NHRA National Event thing though.  

That's awesome Tom. Live life to it's fullest :bc:

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

That's awesome Tom. Live life to it's fullest :bc:

Tried to.  My best pass was a 5.92 sec at 227mph.  Ran lots of sub 6 second passes over the years.  Never ran a 5.80.  I was a low budget operation but won several State Championships over the years.  

It was an incredible weight off my shoulders once I finally let it go.  I got the exact same feeling when I sold the Cessna last year.

My old heap.

DSCN1782.JPG

DSCN0405.JPG

dragster2.jpg

The Cessna.

DSCN1793.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Tried to.  My best pass was a 5.92 sec at 227mph.  Ran lots of sub 6 second passes over the years.  Never ran a 5.80.  I was a low budget operation but won several State Championships over the years.  

It was an incredible weight off my shoulders once I finally let it go.  I got the exact same feeling when I sold the Cessna last year.

My old heap.

DSCN1782.JPG

DSCN0405.JPG

dragster2.jpg

The Cessna.

DSCN1793.JPG

That's awesome on the dragster :bc:  I didn't know that you flew. Did you fly yourself back and forth to the north slope from Wassilla?

1 minute ago, ckf said:

That's awesome on the dragster :bc:  I didn't know that you flew. Did you fly yourself back and forth to the north slope from Wassilla?

Haha, no.  It's like 800 miles to Prudhoe.  We rode the corporate charter Boeing 737's.  

Flying was super fun and I really enjoyed it.  Float flying is an absolute blast.  But it takes a lot of dedication and effort to keep your skills fresh in a high performance airplane.  Between 2000 and 2010 there were dozens and dozens of fatalities in the area due to pilot error.  My family means the world to me.  I will never forget the looks my wife and kids would give me when I would close the door and pull away from the dock.  My wife would say, "please come back", meaning please come back alive.  Once grandkids came on the scene flying and being away from the fam didn't seem like it was as much fun.  

I do miss having a $150k airplane tied to the dock in front of the house but other than that I don't miss it at all.  

• Like 1

I notice the paint scheme on the Cessna looked just like an IQ race sled for a couple years.  Coincidense?

Owned a flippin dragster, too!  Man what havn't you done so far in life?  :bc:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hayward said:

I notice the paint scheme on the Cessna looked just like an IQ race sled for a couple years.  Coincidense?

And to top it off he lives in God's country :bc:

37 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My parent's neighbors kid races a car like yours, thankfully for someone else as his old man puts it.  He was telling me how much some of the parts cost and it makes me glad to only have dirt cars to worry about.

However, if I wanted to put together a quality dirt late model from scratch, all new, I could have $100,000 wrapped up into it pretty easy.  Just the car, nothing else.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Haha, no.  It's like 800 miles to Prudhoe.  We rode the corporate charter Boeing 737's.  

Flying was super fun and I really enjoyed it.  Float flying is an absolute blast.  But it takes a lot of dedication and effort to keep your skills fresh in a high performance airplane.  Between 2000 and 2010 there were dozens and dozens of fatalities in the area due to pilot error.  My family means the world to me.  I will never forget the looks my wife and kids would give me when I would close the door and pull away from the dock.  My wife would say, "please come back", meaning please come back alive.  Once grandkids came on the scene flying and being away from the fam didn't seem like it was as much fun.  

I do miss having a $150k airplane tied to the dock in front of the house but other than that I don't miss it at all.  

You should pick up a drone. I know Rob really enjoys it now that he doesn't fly :bc:

1 minute ago, hayward said:

Hahaha.  I have a picture here somewhere of six 2007 IQr race sleds sitting under the wings of the plane in the hanger.  We had just uncrated them and just took off all the shocks and skids.  Revalving all the shocks and preping the sleds for the season.  We had some fun back in the day.  Sure spent a lot of money doing it though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

My parent's neighbors kid races a car like yours, thankfully for someone else as his old man puts it.  He was telling me how much some of the parts cost and it makes me glad to only have dirt cars to worry about.

However, if I wanted to put together a quality dirt late model from scratch, all new, I could have $100,000 wrapped up into it pretty easy.  Just the car, nothing else.  

Yea.  I could have retired 5-6 years earlier if I had not drag raced for 25 years.  The car cost $400 per pass to operate and that was if we didn't break any parts.  When a rod broke that pass cost $5000.  

Just now, ckf said:

You should pick up a drone. I know Rob really enjoys it now that he doesn't fly :bc:

I have been looking at them and really looked hard at the one you linked a few weeks back.  I will be getting one soon.  When I'm ready I will get your advice for the latest unit for my budget.  

• Like 1

Hahaha.  I have a picture here somewhere of six 2007 IQr race sleds sitting under the wings of the plane in the hanger.  We had just uncrated them and just took off all the shocks and skids.  Revalving all the shocks and preping the sleds for the season.  We had some fun back in the day.  Sure spent a lot of money doing it though.  

Can't take it with you when you go, so just be glad you had the coin to do it in the first place.  Lot of us with big ideas and dreams but can't put it into action.  In my mind I could get into one of those old gasser looking drag cars, but if you want to compete, even they take big $'s.  Why is having fun gotta cost so damn much?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yea.  I could have retired 5-6 years earlier if I had not drag raced for 25 years.  The car cost $400 per pass to operate and that was if we didn't break any parts.  When a rod broke that pass cost $5000.  

I figure a regular night of racing costs $450-550 just to put the car on the track and not tear anything up.  Last year my brother's car burned to the ground at a track that didn't have a fire truck at the track.  -$30,000

I have been looking at them and really looked hard at the one you linked a few weeks back.  I will be getting one soon.  When I'm ready I will get your advice for the latest unit for my budget.  

With all the traveling that you do there really is only one option IMO. It's the same one that Rob has. It's very portable.  https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Bundle-Shoulder-Charger-Batteries/dp/B01LZWGS9L/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1496458356&sr=8-5&keywords=mavic+pro&linkCode=ll1&tag=nekwx-20&linkId=fee036045541fdfed2fcf41bd718b942