Cut the cord

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, ckf said:

We have one bundled with our cable. No cell service at home so it's our only option.

Service at my house sucks and I make about 40 calls a night when working. Plus I don't want customers calling my cell. I hate it actually.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Isn't that a phone osp though?

Set top box does use *.apk apps which are phone apps but they have tones of streaming options so backup applications and streams of the one you are using isn't working, you just need one with a fast chip and some ram and a good internet connection. With Roku you have all you eggs in their basket . :) 

7 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Set top box does use *.apk apps which are phone apps but they have tones of streaming options so backup applications and streams of the one you are using isn't working, you just need one with a fast chip and some ram and a good internet connection. With Roku you have all you eggs in their basket . :) 

Hmmm.....good info!

14 minutes ago, Momorider said:

Plus Ruku's OS is proprietary so you can't add what they don't offer.  Good for Netflix and shit but limited.

the solution is beating the shit out of your cable provided till they agree to match what they give to new customers,  i have another year at 100/mo for cable (3 boxes) and internet then i will start over again.  i came down from 220 and lost 10 channels in the change a couple i would like but not for 120.  i also borrow some codes for pay channels on my roku box/amazon sticks.    FTR got better response in the comcast chat room for customer service than on the phone,  actually got a bit better deal than i was expecting end of the day there.  

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the solution is beating the shit out of your cable provided till they agree to match what they give to new customers,  i have another year at 100/mo for cable (3 boxes) and internet then i will start over again.  i came down from 220 and lost 10 channels in the change a couple i would like but not for 120.  i also borrow some codes for pay channels on my roku box/amazon sticks.    FTR got better response in the comcast chat room for customer service than on the phone,  actually got a bit better deal than i was expecting end of the day there.  

The solution is knocking some sense in the wife that all those channels aren't required.

49 minutes ago, ckf said:

We have one bundled with our cable. No cell service at home so it's our only option.

You should try a cell phone signal booster....best thing i ever did.

59 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Service at my house sucks and I make about 40 calls a night when working. Plus I don't want customers calling my cell. I hate it actually.

I put up a $2,300 amplifier on my 80 foot Tower, now our Cell phones work here..we also have Amps in 2 of our vehicles which work in most areas up here.

Edited by XCR1250

2 hours ago, DAVE said:

I agree...i started bringing my dish again while rving....box isnt reliable enough.

You don't say....  :news:  :lol:  

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

land line lol what are you 80 . 

don't  think I have had 1 of those for over 20 yrs, I may have to get one at the cabin though if I want well my wife wants internet up there dsl is it . i my self like not having phone and web up north but she can work some up thete if we get it. win win I guess she is out of the house more 

The options at our cabin are really limited too.  Generally, I can stream anything I want to see off my phone hot spot, but if it's busy up there, the cell system grinds to a halt.  

I still have full cable at home but we could get away with a lot less for sure.  The wife watches a couple shows that could likely be found online to stream.  Hockey and football would be a problem though.  Land line / internet and Cable is $180/month

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The solution is knocking some sense in the wife that all those channels aren't required.

hell i am as much the issue i want my espn and other sports channels and she wants her home and garden shit.  for an extra $40/mo over having just broadband it's worth it

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Our Tv watching drops big time after hockey season going throught the summer.  Hell, we've even discussed dropping it all together and just getting the locals during that time.

3 minutes ago, sledderj said:

You don't say....  :news:  :lol:  

The options at our cabin are really limited too.  Generally, I can stream anything I want to see off my phone hot spot, but if it's busy up there, the cell system grinds to a halt.  

I still have full cable at home but we could get away with a lot less for sure.  The wife watches a couple shows that could likely be found online to stream.  Hockey and football would be a problem though.  Land line / internet and Cable is $180/month

Its because of lack of internet. When theres net it works great. :)

10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Our Tv watching drops big time after hockey season going throught the summer.  Hell, we've even discussed dropping it all together and just getting the locals during that time.

Put up and OTA great picture most areas in the civilized world get lots of channels :dunno: check your availability at 

www.tvfool.com 

20 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

land line lol what are you 80 . 

don't  think I have had 1 of those for over 20 yrs, I may have to get one at the cabin though if I want well my wife wants internet up there dsl is it . i my self like not having phone and web up north but she can work some up thete if we get it. win win I guess she is out of the house more 

Yep package deal from Spectrum.  Dont need it in the city as we use cell.  North is the same (Spectrum) and service can be sketchy. 

Strange- in the city they charge me 220/ a month and North they charge me 150/ a month.  I called and complained and they cant tell me why its 70 a month less North....  Fuck them. 

20 hours ago, Momorider said:

English next time you senile cock sucking old queen :lol: 

22 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Thought I’d do a TTT here before we dismantle the meme thread.

As mentioned, just picked up a Roku for a test run.  If I can get this to work, gonna tell my cable company drop all but their internet.

Anybody got any tricks/tips/advice?

Did it 5 yrs ago, just got a roku cause I was sick of not seeing supercross, I like it, it' kicks you out and back to home screen quiet a bit

Now that I've been watching some regular TV  again has anyone else noticed how most commercials have the male and female traditional rolls reversed? :lol:

And yet the commercials are still marketed towards woman 

So far I’m liking this.  Got the “Fox Sports Go” app and it works excellent!  Still learning all the ins and outs of it all but I’m relatively sure I’ll be putting all five of Charter’s cable boxes, their POS modem and router in a bag by the end of the week.  $9/mo ea.  Pfft.

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

Doesn't the fox app require you to be a subscriber to cable. Most of them do

I don’t know.  I know we had to pay a few bucks for it but our internet is through the cable company so,

:dunno:

15 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I don’t know.  I know we had to pay a few bucks for it but our internet is through the cable company so,

If you need or do what I did and get an email address on your parents account if they have cable.  Only app I have tried that didn't work on was spike TV's which just doesn't support Comcast. 

23 hours ago, Momorider said:

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What?  That's perfect English.:dunno:

Go back to elementary school :lol: 

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

That's how our TSN app works.  You have to be a TV subscriber to TSN for the app to work.  Ginger is right though, if you have someone else's login cred's, then you could use those.  I'm just not sure what happens if they get more than one login request from the same ID at the same time.  It might kick one out.  

Shit...just thought of something else.  Any of you run mulitple media devices at the same time?  We are just running the one TV with it now in addition to ipads/phones.  What does it do to the quality if we are streaming several TV shows/devices at once?  I think need a better Wifi modem for sure.