As the U.P. of Michigan loses people , Towns have tough choices ahead

Just now, Boered said:

Looks like a great chance to retire up there for anyone ready in the next five years. Real Estate prices will crash hard and if you cash out of a city life could be great. it really is a great area and has it all.

RE prices cant go any lower than they are :lol: they arent going to pay you to take a property there. You could buy whole entire cities in the UP for what one shitty 800sq ft bungalow costs you in TO 

Just now, f7ben said:

RE prices cant go any lower than they are :lol: they arent going to pay you to take a property there. You could buy whole entire cities in the UP for what one shitty 800sq ft bungalow costs you in TO 

Lake front will suffer and I bet it has yet to drop off like rural has.

Do they have unorganized townships there where there is no services and the taxes are next to nothing. we have a lot of that in Northern Ontario and if you have no use for cops being close and fire or plows you can save a ton of money.

4 minutes ago, Boered said:

Lake front will suffer and I bet it has yet to drop off like rural has.

Nobody local to the UP is buying lakeshore there either way so the economy will have little impact on recreational property .....that said lakeshore there is cheaper than anywhere in the region as it is.

Edited by f7ben

Just now, f7ben said:

Nobody local to the UP is buying lakeshore there anyone so the economy will have little impact on recreational property .....that said lakeshore there is cheaper than anywhere in the region as it is.

It will as when people were employed they create a larger number of potential buyers, and also already own it, when those buyers are out, prices will drop. I have seen it hundreds of times all over Northern Ontario for the last fifty years. Locals do own waterfront, they will sell when they become strapped for cash, so, you have less demand and more properties entering the market, naturally the prices drop.

1 minute ago, Boered said:

It will as when people were employed they create a larger number of potential buyers, and also already own it, when those buyers are out, prices will drop. I have seen it hundreds of times all over Northern Ontario for the last fifty years. Locals do own waterfront, they will sell when they become strapped for cash, so, you have less demand and more properties entering the market, naturally the prices drop.

The UP is as depressed as its gonna get ....there is literally nothing to lose there at this point. They have one mine left operating and it will run for a few more decades 

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

It's becoming a retirement area. Land is always cheep where there isn't a lot of jobs. Lake front isn't cheep up there ,either is land inside the national forests.

lakefront is cheaper there than in the lower , wisconsin , MN or even Indiana .....I've never been anywhere that is cheaper than the UP

• Platinum Contributing Member
50 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Fuck!  Rigid, you wanted them there by 8am?  I may have found your problem.  Noon-ish is the new 8am for the next generation of hard charging, boot strappers.  Or, did you not give them all management titles?  

it's a decent entry level job too, $12/hr, delivering parts on established routes, get here at 8, on the road at 10am, back 4-5ish, m-f, end of the week you should have 5hrs of o/t at time and a half.. And we cant find a single person to show up in Syracuse... It's really discouraging..

59 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well 8am is kind of early. :lol:  

:lol:

It is cheaper than the lower and Wis. It all depends on the lake. A bud turned down 1.2mill for 10 acres and 1200 feet of frontage on Perch Lake. Another bud just sold a house on Twin Lakes for $210k. Lake Gogebic fetches good coin.

15 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It is cheaper than the lower and Wis. It all depends on the lake. A bud turned down 1.2mill for 10 acres and 1200 feet of frontage on Perch Lake. Another bud just sold a house on Twin Lakes for $210k. Lake Gogebic fetches good coin.

Yah , Gogebic does do ok

This pic was taken a few years ago. The beach in La'nce ,the first week in July. Water sports has a short season up there. It is ice front property 6 months out of the year.

IMG_0346.PNG

1 hour ago, Boered said:

Do they have unorganized townships there where there is no services and the taxes are next to nothing. we have a lot of that in Northern Ontario and if you have no use for cops being close and fire or plows you can save a ton of money.

There are some un-zoned townships still in the U.P. , but not unorganized as a gubermint  body.

Here is a 2014 list of lakefront property prices per foot in this area....Walloon surprisingly leads the list...IMO Torch is much nicer.

http://www.cbgreatlakes.com/amy.heilala/blog/2014_Comparison_of_Price_per_Foot_Frontage_on_Popular_Northern_Michigan_Lakes

7 hours ago, f7ben said:

Houghton will be ok as well because of the college and the tourist areas should survive ....the rest will continue to be what it is. Its really unfortunate as its a beautiful area and could use some new industry 

Yoopers are gonna be weed kingpins in a year.

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Are you talking about the mine in White Pine? A Canadian pharmaceutical company owns it.:pc: 

No, lol. That's a hair brained idea if I ever heard one. :lol:

Growing weed in a mine... :lol:

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

No, lol. That's a hair brained idea if I ever heard one. :lol:

Growing weed in a mine... :lol:

http://www.mininggazette.com/news/local-news/2017/01/white-pine-mine-reopening-sources/. There was a lot of talk about this mine being turned into a underground pharmaceutical pot farm? A Canadian company was trying to get the zoning and permits.

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

http://www.mininggazette.com/news/local-news/2017/01/white-pine-mine-reopening-sources/. There was a lot of talk about this mine being turned into a underground pharmaceutical pot farm? A Canadian company was trying to get the zoning and permits.

Yeah, they wanted to corner the market. They also wanted to force every operation to irradiate their weed because of mold. Mold that grows great in dank, wet mines. 

17 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

It's really sad IMO...I went to school in Marquette and student taught at Republic-Michigamee Schools in 89-90 and even then things were looking pretty desolate.

Small towns have definitely taken a hit.  I couldn't believe how much Shingleton has changed.  Lots of places closed, or up for sale 

14 hours ago, f7ben said:

Houghton will be ok as well because of the college and the tourist areas should survive ....the rest will continue to be what it is. Its really unfortunate as its a beautiful area and could use some new industry 

There are a lot more areas than just Houghton in the UP where there's $. 

14 hours ago, f7ben said:

So dumb its not even worth a comment :lol: 

No kidding :lol:

8 hours ago, Woodtick said:

It's becoming a retirement area. Land is always cheep where there isn't a lot of jobs. Lake front isn't cheep up there ,either is land inside the national forests.

I've been looking at property up there and I've seen more and more popping up, and prices continuing to drop. 

The U.P?    Yeah, a lot of the real small towns are getting smaller.  I live in Mqt county and I can tell you that construction companies are turning away work or bidding it up - they are very busy these days.   Then there's this - the real reason we love the yoop (taken today May 18).

IMG_0585.JPG

Edited by Kevin

I actually visited Marquette when I was looking for a relocation spot.  What a beautiful area.  It was just too sparse of a population and I didn't know for sure or not if I was gonna wanna get back into business or not in the future.  

10 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The U.P?    Yeah, a lot of the real small towns are getting smaller.  I live in Mqt county and I can tell you that construction companies are turning away work or bidding it up - they are very busy these days.   Then there's this - the real reason we love the yoop (taken today May 18).

IMG_0585.JPG

Ha...love it! Whereabouts do you live? I love the area...last year my daughter, her friend and I rented a house on Saux Head Lake which is out 550 a few miles...great place and we hang there and hit Marquette, The Black Rocks, Sugarloaf, etc.... :bc:

Edited by Biggie Smails

14 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Ha...love it! Whereabouts do you live? I love the area...last year my daughter, her friend and I rented a house on Saux Head Lake which is out 550 a few miles...great place and we hang there and hit Marquette, The Black Rocks, Sugarloaf, etc.... :bc:

Ishpeming.