Moto X bike info?

irv

20 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

If the gas smells like that, then that carb bowl HAS to come off.  It takes years for gas to get that bad. Solvents (SeaFoam) will not clean a carb that's been sitting that long on their own, no way/no how.  Mechanical intervention is required. I'd almost bet the pilot is plugged.  Remove and soak the jets in Pine Sol or whatever you use.  You need to see good daylight through them.  And clean the needle valve (fuel inlet valve) and it's bore, and make sure it's not stuck. 

The broken screw won't impede removing the bowl anyway; it is only threaded in the body of the carb.  Once the bowl is off, maybe there's enough screw to grab and remove, or to cut a slot in to twist out. Worst case, drill and use a small EZ out.  Should come out easily.  And grab some metric screws and put that thing back together. 

Anything less..... and you'll likely blow that thing up in no time. 

5 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Aluminum so the screw should come out easy. It needs a proper seal so I would redo it. 

Got the carb apart today and was surprised to see the screw I thought was broken was only a guide/dowel pin.

The bowl is mostly held on with the bottom drain plug, and the one screw for good measure I assume?

It was gunky in there but not as bad as I thought it would be. A good bath with some Sea Foam and compressed air cleaned it right up.

Still going to run some Sea Foam through it on fire up and occasionally when I ride just to keep it clean and to get any areas I missed. These Keihin carbs are definitely different. 

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

• 3 months later...

Finally all back together! I didn't get as carried away with tearing this bike down like I said I would. I pondered it but knowing my buddy didn't ride it much, I chose against it. It needed a new air filter, which I got today, and just found out it needs a new petcock (on-off) valve as it leaks. It leaks more when it's shut off than it does on, but still leaks regardless. There is no other option other than new for these is there? (never had one fail before) 

New gear saver fluid, new plug, Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil, (Is Klotz not available anymore? The guy at Royal looked at me like I had 2 heads?) and it fired right up on the 3rd kick. I threw on a helmet and took it for a quick spin twice down the street and rode it back in the garage. Being as I was on pavement and it's been years since I rode, I forgot how powerful these things were!

Now that it's back together and my son's hockey is starting soon, plus sledding, hopefully, and really no place to keep it, I am thinking about maybe selling it? After today's little scoot, I wanted/wished I had some place to ride right then and there, but with the thoughts of a license, permit, and insurance, those quickly took that desire away! Any idea what these go for or what I should ask? Should I wait until the spring or is now also a good time to sell?

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

Checking the Klotz website, looks like the 2 stroke oil is obsolete. 

If you were to keep it you might want to contact these guys:

http://www.winnerscirclecanada.com/ 

I wanted/wished I had some place to ride right then and there

Growing up in the Eastdale area in the 70s, the Silo area NE of the high school (long gone to development) was a popular dirt biking area. Mike Harnden who rode for Honda Canada in the early 80s was a year older than me & lived in our subdivision.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Checking the Klotz website, looks like the 2 stroke oil is obsolete. 

If you were to keep it you might want to contact these guys:

http://www.winnerscirclecanada.com/ 

Growing up in the Eastdale area in the 70s, the Silo area NE of the high school (long gone to development) was a popular dirt biking area. Mike Harnden who rode for Honda Canada in the early 80s was a year older than me & lived in our subdivision.

I rode there many times, Revrnd, and also watched Mike Harnden and Doug Kingsley battle it out there quite often as well. I use to leave my parents house, via the greenbelt, behind their backyard on Wilson N. I'd ride across to Sir Albert Love school, via Hillcroft, then hop on the trail on the other side of the creek behind the school, then go under or over Harmony, then ride up to the silo on the trail that was through the trees.

I had my worst crash ever on my way back taking the fields just behind all those new(er) townhouses off of Adelaide or just south of the trail. I was wide open, 5th gear, and unbenounced to me, the construction had started in that area. I hit a berm/wall of dirt that a scrapper had made and needless to say, it didn't end well. I think that cost me about $500 in damages (new pipe, handle bars, levers and a rear fender) and a very sore body! I still remember some little kids, laughing at me from their backyard. :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zooman said:

Funny seeing you guys mention this.  I lived on gentry cres and went to east dale as well.  Also rode up at the silo as much as I could in the late 80's

What year did you graduate, Zooman? I was 81 but went back to school in 82, grade 13, just to play football. 3 E's and F's, later, I got a job making stucco before I started Hydro in April of 83.

I was able to get my gas tank petcock from leaking fuel. I Googled it yesterday thinking all I'd find was a replacement one but I came across some vids on how to repair. The one vid said the O ring gets dried out (shrinks) and usually re soaking it in gas will help expand it again. I took the cover plate off and inside was more grud. I cleaned that out, greased the O ring and reassembled it and it worked. Grease is a petroleum product which will help but it could have also been caused by the crud?

Another question came to mind? Is it OK to run Seafoam in premixed gas?? Most things, like my sleds have oil injection so adding it straight to the gas isn't a worry. I checked the Seafoam can/vids and it is OK to use in 2 cycle engines but I couldn't find any info on using it/adding it to premixed gas? I want to run more through the bike and also add some to my gas can but I am unsure if that is a wise decision? My gut tells me it will be fine as I have never heard any horror stories but I want to make sure first.

IMG_1777.JPG

3 hours ago, irv said:

What year did you graduate, Zooman? I was 81 but went back to school in 82, grade 13, just to play football. 3 E's and F's, later, I got a job making stucco before I started Hydro in April of 83.

I graduated in '79, while my younger brother finished Grade 12 in '81. Doug's name doesn't ring a bell. Maybe he was a bit older than me.

Grew up in the Keewatin N & King area. Used to always go walking from Keewatin thru Volcano Mtn & Boot Hill to the silo (pre Killdeer & Blue Heron development) w/ our beagle.

5 hours ago, irv said:

I was able to get my gas tank petcock from leaking fuel. I Googled it yesterday thinking all I'd find was a replacement one but I came across some vids on how to repair. The one vid said the O ring gets dried out (shrinks) and usually re soaking it in gas will help expand it again. I took the cover plate off and inside was more grud. I cleaned that out, greased the O ring and reassembled it and it worked. Grease is a petroleum product which will help but it could have also been caused by the crud?

Another question came to mind? Is it OK to run Seafoam in premixed gas?? Most things, like my sleds have oil injection so adding it straight to the gas isn't a worry. I checked the Seafoam can/vids and it is OK to use in 2 cycle engines but I couldn't find any info on using it/adding it to premixed gas? I want to run more through the bike and also add some to my gas can but I am unsure if that is a wise decision? My gut tells me it will be fine as I have never heard any horror stories but I want to make sure first.

IMG_1777.JPG

I have been running Seafoam in my 2 stroke sleds and adding to premix for chainsaws, blowers, hedge trimmer and weed eaters with no issues for years.  And our blowers get a lot of use.  

A dirt bike should be fine I would think. 

Id say that bike is worth $1500 bucks maybe 2 g if you're really lucky.  Insurance is really cheap for them if you call State Farm.  You can also get a day pass for the ganny if you're not keeping it and just wanna go for a rip.

Dropped my CRF off today for a heart transplant....God dam valves lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 11:44 AM, Renegade X said:

Id say that bike is worth $1500 bucks maybe 2 g if you're really lucky.  Insurance is really cheap for them if you call State Farm.  You can also get a day pass for the ganny if you're not keeping it and just wanna go for a rip.

Dropped my CRF off today for a heart transplant....God dam valves lol

Thanks Jesse. Been real busy lately. Just closed the trailer/pulled the boat this past week-end and with hockey starting already this week-end, (Sunday) I am likely going to sell it?

I currently have a friend I use to ride with quite a bit asking around if anyone is interested. He basically said what you said as far as prices go. I'd be happy with $1750 but we'll see what happens?

I appreciate the info. :bc:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, Stoney said:

After you get her all looked after, let me know if your going to sell, casually looking for a YZ250.

Can't comment on manual, years ago when I had one, there were lots of local dealers for info, parts, etc....

Nice meeting you today, Stoney. Hope the bike serves you well. Ride safe and enjoy. :bc:

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, irv said:

Any rides yet, Stoney? 

Yep, took it out for a shake down last Sun with my kids, by BIL and my nephew!

Started out running the old horse circle track to get myself comfortable and to see how it ran then hit the track out back....by the end, things felt pretty good.

Bike needed a good run though, at first when you opened it up, it was not crisp, but that went away. Shocks could use some work for sure, but for the amount I will ride it, we will see if that will make it on the to do list. 

Looking forward to the kids getting out on their PW50's next spring! 

15 hours ago, Stoney said:

Yep, took it out for a shake down last Sun with my kids, by BIL and my nephew!

Started out running the old horse circle track to get myself comfortable and to see how it ran then hit the track out back....by the end, things felt pretty good.

Bike needed a good run though, at first when you opened it up, it was not crisp, but that went away. Shocks could use some work for sure, but for the amount I will ride it, we will see if that will make it on the to do list. 

Looking forward to the kids getting out on their PW50's next spring! 

I guess, after it sitting so long, it would be an unreasonable expectation to assume it would run top notch. Glad to hear it cleaned up and ran great shortly after. I did put some SeaFoam in that gas to help clean things up a little better than what I got them, so hopefully that helped too? Lots of shock guys around, and although you'll likely have to hand deliver the front forks, I'm sure a good freshening up (new oil/seals, etc) will bring them right around. Glad to hear you're happy with it, and with no mention of crashes, I'm glad to hear it suits you as well. :bc:

• Like 1

Actually, kind of surprised myself with the no crash's, especially after I got more comfortable on the track out back  :) ....although I was doubling my kids on and off for a bit, so extra careful when they were a board.

Looking forward to next year a lot more now....I actually did not intend to get the bike out this year, figured I would wait until next year when the kids were able to ride there bikes too, but last weekend was so nice, so had to get out. 

44 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Actually, kind of surprised myself with the no crash's, especially after I got more comfortable on the track out back  :) ....although I was doubling my kids on and off for a bit, so extra careful when they were a board.

Looking forward to next year a lot more now....I actually did not intend to get the bike out this year, figured I would wait until next year when the kids were able to ride there bikes too, but last weekend was so nice, so had to get out. 

I don't blame you. It was perfect riding weather. :bc: