Moto X bike info?

irv

I finally got around, today, to picking up my deceased buddy's Moto X bike.

It likely hasn't ran in over 5 yrs, and I am likely the last guy who rode it? Anyways, I believe it is a 92 (YZ-250) but how do I find out what year for sure? 

I plan on tearing it a part and going over everything, but it would be nice to have a manual. Any place, on line or otherwise, where I could get one? I am going to drain the tank, clean the carb, check reeds, bearings, etc, but is there anything else that I am missing? Throttle/clutch feels fine but should I invest in new cables, or just lube them? I rode years ago, late teens/early 20's, (85 KTM 250) but hardly anything since. I am still not 100% sure what I am going to do with it, but I'd like to get my 15, soon to be 16, a trail bike so we can ride together hopefully.

Also, note the yellowing on the tank. Is there a way to reduce that or get it white again? My gut tells me I may be able to get it better looking but white/brand new looking is out of the question? Any tips, info, or some good sites/forums would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

WP_20170507_14_06_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20170507_14_06_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20170507_14_06_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20170507_14_06_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20170507_14_49_09_Pro.jpg

Picture 007 (Large).jpg

Picture (Large).jpg

After you get her all looked after, let me know if your going to sell, casually looking for a YZ250.

Can't comment on manual, years ago when I had one, there were lots of local dealers for info, parts, etc....

47 minutes ago, Stoney said:

After you get her all looked after, let me know if your going to sell, casually looking for a YZ250.

Can't comment on manual, years ago when I had one, there were lots of local dealers for info, parts, etc....

I will keep you in mind, Stoney, but I am currently thinking about getting my son a new/used trail bike so we can enjoy riding together.

He will soon be 16 but hasn't ridden a bike yet so I am leaning towards a trail bike, as apposed to a Moto X, for his first one. Wish I still had that 175 IT I had years ago as that would be ideal, imo. 

I was just at a local dealer and he was talking about a school /track/etc...of some sort in Barrie, he mentioned the name, but do not recall it, I know you are in Durham, not sure if there is anything out your way....might be something to consider to get your sons feet wet before you buy, they have bikes on site for use.

The selling thing was just a long shot....I think I would rather not buy a bike from Kijiji at this point. 

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I was just at a local dealer and he was talking about a school /track/etc...of some sort in Barrie, he mentioned the name, but do not recall it, I know you are in Durham, not sure if there is anything out your way....might be something to consider to get your sons feet wet before you buy, they have bikes on site for use.

The selling thing was just a long shot....I think I would rather not buy a bike from Kijiji at this point. 

They use to have a riding school out in the Ganny once upon a time as well, but I don't think that is still available? I think my son will like it, but with the amount of free time he has, I am not sure how much riding we will actually be able to get in?

I would much rather have an instructor teach him than me as he would be more apt to listening to him. He's at that age, unfortunately! :bashhead:

She really cleaned up....... looks almost like a KTM in the last pic..... :)

Google the service manual..... Very rarely can I not find a PDF of a service manual for a machine I'm working on.  But anything that old is still really basic.  Check the compression and do the carb cleaning. 

And I wouldn't let the kid ride that 250, no matter how much he begs.  He'll be on his ass in no time, especially if he hasn't ridden before. 

But I sure miss my old CR250..... crazy quick!

Edited by Puzzleboy

9 minutes ago, irv said:

They use to have a riding school out in the Ganny once upon a time as well, but I don't think that is still available? I think my son will like it, but with the amount of free time he has, I am not sure how much riding we will actually be able to get in?

I would much rather have an instructor teach him than me as he would be more apt to listening to him. He's at that age, unfortunately! :bashhead:

When the person mentioned the training/courses to me, my first thought was I never had any training when I started, not even sure it existed, just learned on the fly and sometimes the hard way (few scars to remind me)....but now as a parent, not sure how I feel about my kid learning the same way I did :lol:

Just did a quick search and came up with this:

http://trailtours.ca/

http://www.smartadventures.ca/

Might interest you.

38 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

She really cleaned up....... looks almost like a KTM in the last pic..... :)

Google the service manual..... Very rarely can I not find a PDF of a service manual for a machine I'm working on.  But anything that old is still really basic.  Check the compression and do the carb cleaning. 

And I wouldn't let the kid ride that 250, no matter how much he begs.  He'll be on his ass in no time, especially if he hasn't ridden before. 

But I sure miss my old CR250..... crazy quick!

Not a chance! 

25 minutes ago, Stoney said:

When the person mentioned the training/courses to me, my first thought was I never had any training when I started, not even sure it existed, just learned on the fly and sometimes the hard way (few scars to remind me)....but now as a parent, not sure how I feel about my kid learning the same way I did :lol:

Just did a quick search and came up with this:

http://trailtours.ca/

http://www.smartadventures.ca/

Might interest you.

I learned the hard way, too! Almost drove right through my neighbors shed when the throttle stuck on my KDX 175 that I had for my first bike! O.o

Thanks for the links, Stoney! :bc:

Nice bike Irv. Invest in a shock. Also that Tank is likely brittle so be careful with it.

As for your son buy him a 230 four stroke and he can ride that without any real worry for a year or so. I wouldn't get him anything faster but its a full frame bike.

My son has a Wr250 4 stroke and its way too fast for a beginner rider.

15 hours ago, Stoney said:

RJ motorsports?

Hey Irv,

That tank is yellow now.  That is the octane bleeding through the plastic. If it really bugs you, you can get a sticker kit for it but that will bubble in time as well. Do a compression test (150ish psi) and change the oil (bell ray gear saver), check tire pressure (15psi) and a new plug.  Fire it up and take her for a rip. Also use good oil ( I like Ipone Samurai) 

There is a place in the ganny that rents bikes, might be that trail tour page someone posted. They will give you a course or you can just take one of their bikes on your own

Huh?

2 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Hey Irv,

That tank is yellow now.  That is the octane bleeding through the plastic. If it really bugs you, you can get a sticker kit for it but that will bubble in time as well. Do a compression test (150ish psi) and change the oil (bell ray gear saver), check tire pressure (15psi) and a new plug.  Fire it up and take her for a rip. Also use good oil ( I like Ipone Samurai) 

There is a place in the ganny that rents bikes, might be that trail tour page someone posted. They will give you a course or you can just take one of their bikes on your own

10 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

Nice bike Irv. Invest in a shock. Also that Tank is likely brittle so be careful with it.

As for your son buy him a 230 four stroke and he can ride that without any real worry for a year or so. I wouldn't get him anything faster but its a full frame bike.

My son has a Wr250 4 stroke and its way too fast for a beginner rider.

I'll likely ride it the way it is for now, unless it is pooched? Not looking to invest a whole lot of money into it, but if my son takes to riding, then we'll see?

I'll have to look into a 230 as I have never heard of them before. Like I mentioned, I wish I still had my old IT 175 as that would be a perfect bike, imo, for him to learn on. Thanks for the tip.:bc:

7 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Hey Irv,

Not doubting you as Racing farmer also said the same thing, but I believe there is some sun damage there as well as the left side is a lot more yellow than the right. It does bother me as most of the other plastics are nice and white and that thing sticks out like a sore thumb! 

I am going to go over the whole thing. Basically a complete tear down before I ride it to check everything over like bearings, swing arm, forks, clutch plates, you name it. I raced for a couple years back in the day (never trophied) so it is not new/foreign to me to do a complete tear down. I used Bel-Ray exclusively back in the day but I was unsure if they were still around or still as popular? Where do you get your oil at, Jesse? I figure if I need anything, besides Yamaha specific stuff, I'll get most at Clarington cycle. 

Glad to hear there is still a place in the Ganny. Do you have any idea if gear is available to rent as well? I don't want to purchase everything first only to find out it's not his cup of tea. How much is a Ganny pass nowadays anyways? Still a $100, or is that wishful thinking? (Left side/right side pics)

Ummh, no.  Octane is an intangible...... it is merely an anti-knock (pre-detonation) index. 

It would be like saying fahrenheit is leaking through the tank. 

Certainly a fuel component could cause that, or the solvency properties of gasoline in general, but nothing to do with octane. 

6 hours ago, Renegade X said:

The octane bleeds through the tank and turns it yellow.  That's why they don't have white tanks on bikes anymore

Edited by Puzzleboy

15 hours ago, irv said:

I'll likely ride it the way it is for now, unless it is pooched? Not looking to invest a whole lot of money into it, but if my son takes to riding, then we'll see?

I'll have to look into a 230 as I have never heard of them before. Like I mentioned, I wish I still had my old IT 175 as that would be a perfect bike, imo, for him to learn on. Thanks for the tip.:bc:

Not doubting you as Racing farmer also said the same thing, but I believe there is some sun damage there as well as the left side is a lot more yellow than the right. It does bother me as most of the other plastics are nice and white and that thing sticks out like a sore thumb! 

I am going to go over the whole thing. Basically a complete tear down before I ride it to check everything over like bearings, swing arm, forks, clutch plates, you name it. I raced for a couple years back in the day (never trophied) so it is not new/foreign to me to do a complete tear down. I used Bel-Ray exclusively back in the day but I was unsure if they were still around or still as popular? Where do you get your oil at, Jesse? I figure if I need anything, besides Yamaha specific stuff, I'll get most at Clarington cycle. 

Glad to hear there is still a place in the Ganny. Do you have any idea if gear is available to rent as well? I don't want to purchase everything first only to find out it's not his cup of tea. How much is a Ganny pass nowadays anyways? Still a $100, or is that wishful thinking? (Left side/right side pics)

You can buy bell ray pretty much anywhere.  I'm on a 4 stroke now so I don't use it anymore. Clarington will have it I'm sure. You just missed the tent sale at Royal so that kinda sucks. As far as your tank, if you think its not from fuel maybe try a magic eraser. I used that on my white walls of my Harley and it cleaned them up good and nothing else would touch it.

Im pretty sure the trail tour place in Ganny rents everything you need for a day but I have never used them so probably best to call them. And of the course the passes went up..lol.  They are $175 now for the year. I was riding in there last night and there is a shit ton of trees down.

If you want to ride ganny or simcoe county forests on a weekend (midweek you usually don't run into opp, or trail patrol), you have to have plate, insurance and permit.  

If you end up buying him a bike, try to get one with ownership.  Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to title a bike without ownership.  A kdx 200/220 would be a good bike for him as well. If he's not picky, you should be able to find an it 175, or a pe 175 on the cheap.  

IMG_2435.PNG

On 5/7/2017 at 9:20 PM, irv said:

My son went to the Yamaha Riding Academy at Horseshoe Resort.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/riding_academy/

14 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Ummh, no.  Octane is an intangible...... it is merely an anti-knock (pre-detonation) index. 

It would be like saying fahrenheit is leaking through the tank. 

Certainly a fuel component could cause that, or the solvency properties of gasoline in general, but nothing to do with octane. 

Whatever you say Puzzle, I'm sure you know best.  Now I'm wondering why when I put decals on my tank they always bubble..Can you explain?

Not about knowing best, you're simply incorrect on the octane statement.  Chill.

Like I said, could be any of the components in gasoline leeching through the plastic.  But octane is not a component.   Also, many plastics out-gas for years. 

3 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Whatever you say Puzzle, I'm sure you know best.  Now I'm wondering why when I put decals on my tank they always bubble..Can you explain?

18 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Not about knowing best, you're simply incorrect on the octane statement.  Chill.

Like I said, could be any of the components in gasoline leeching through the plastic.  But octane is not a component.   Also, many plastics out-gas for years. 

Im always chill

On 5/8/2017 at 7:32 PM, irv said:

Finally had some time to get started on the mtce/clean up. Took the carb off and noticed only 1 float bowl screw! I wanted to remove it but I think I will leave it alone as it looks like the bolt is broke off inside there.

No surprises yet, all looks fairly decent, other than a wrong size fastener here and there. The smell of the gas almost made me throw up! It was cross between orange and yellow and it took my breath away!

Going to flush it, pour some Sea Foam in the carb and let it soak. Mostly dirt/grime/grease to clean up then some reassembly. Still don't know if I want to go through all the hassle of getting it plated, a permit, ownership, trail pass, gear and all that? Seems like a big hassle for a bike I may occasionally ride? Oh yeah, found out it was made in 10/91 so the bike is definitely a 92. 

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

Edited by irv

If the gas smells like that, then that carb bowl HAS to come off.  It takes years for gas to get that bad. Solvents (SeaFoam) will not clean a carb that's been sitting that long on their own, no way/no how.  Mechanical intervention is required. I'd almost bet the pilot is plugged.  Remove and soak the jets in Pine Sol or whatever you use.  You need to see good daylight through them.  And clean the needle valve (fuel inlet valve) and it's bore, and make sure it's not stuck. 

The broken screw won't impede removing the bowl anyway; it is only threaded in the body of the carb.  Once the bowl is off, maybe there's enough screw to grab and remove, or to cut a slot in to twist out. Worst case, drill and use a small EZ out.  Should come out easily.  And grab some metric screws and put that thing back together. 

Anything less..... and you'll likely blow that thing up in no time. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

If the gas smells like that, then that carb bowl HAS to come off.  It takes years for gas to get that bad. Solvents (SeaFoam) will not clean a carb that's been sitting that long on their own, no way/no how.  Mechanical intervention is required. I'd almost bet the pilot is plugged.  Remove and soak the jets in Pine Sol or whatever you use.  You need to see good daylight through them.  And clean the needle valve (fuel inlet valve) and it's bore, and make sure it's not stuck. 

The broken screw won't impede removing the bowl anyway; it is only threaded in the body of the carb.  Once the bowl is off, maybe there's enough screw to grab and remove, or to cut a slot in to twist out. Worst case, drill and use a small EZ out.  Should come out easily.  And grab some metric screws and put that thing back together. 

Anything less..... and you'll likely blow that thing up in no time. 

Yeah, you're likely right. Imo, the broken the screw looks like it's down in there a ways? I can only hope it wasn't screwed in too tight and will come out easy. I also assume the float bowl gaskets will need to be replaced, unless they/it's a rubber o-ring type? The rear carb clamp was finger tight! I don't see any accumulation of dirt/dust in there so maybe it was just tight enough? Good compression just kicking it over so I think I am OK there.