overtime rule change?

1 hour ago, Edmo said:

'Under current law, eligible private-sector employees must be paid time-and-a-half for any hours beyond 40 that they work in a week. Under the Republican proposal, companies and individual employees could agree that their overtime work would instead be rewarded with comp time.'

This is from the link. The employee does have a choice. :dunno: 

Come on dude... I would love to offer comp time instead of overtime. Do you know how much extra it costs in just not wages but taxes and bennies? Trust me dude, I am an employer, this can be put into the company policy manual where employees will have to take comp time. Shit the City is doing it now. :lol: 

43 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

According to the legislation, there is a sunset clause  which stipulates that if you cant take your days off within 13 months of accruement then you must be paid for those hours at the overtime rate.  

This proposal gives employees and employers the options of managing overtime and time off in a different way. 

fucking républicain ass holes nos they are back To steeling days off. right snowcunt 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Come on dude... I would love to offer comp time instead of overtime. Do you know how much extra it costs in just not wages but taxes and bennies? Trust me dude, I am an employer, this can be put into the company policy manual where employees will have to take comp time. Shit the City is doing it now. :lol: 

I don't get bennies for my comp time.  I work around 2050 hours a year, so it doesn't effect me,and it helps my employer.

11 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

all washes out in the end just on a diff check. if they really need the cash they can book all that vacation and go work a 2nd temp job and get double time not just time and 1/2.

I don't give a shit my phone is always on and e mail never stops .   after 5 it is called a service call after 8 or weekend a emergency and I pay the guys or my self  accordingly. usually a emergency I take because I want the quick 350 for the first 15min

:lol:  

42 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

According to the legislation, there is a sunset clause  which stipulates that if you cant take your days off within 13 months of accruement then you must be paid for those hours at the overtime rate.  

This proposal gives employees and employers the options of managing overtime and time off in a different way. 

As long as both are on board and can have input it's good to have more clarity in the law.  

32 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I read it is can be used for up to 160 hours  paid off.  I was hoping it would be more....  was hoping for several months off.  But a month off in addition to whatever else paid time of is a great deal....  or you can take the pay instead.  Your choice!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/regulation/labor/331645-house-passes-comp-time-bill%3Famp

The GOP legislation would allow private-sector companies to offer workers a choice between "comp time" and overtime pay. Workers could save as much as 160 hours - or about one month's worth - of paid time off. At the end of the year, their companies would pay them for any time off they don't use.

Employees would not be forced to take time off, if they prefer to cash in a bigger paycheck, Roby said.

as long as the companies truly involve workers in the decision it's a good thing.  lots of jobs have slow and busy seasons and allowing employers and workers to work out legal ways to address that and flatten income and expense ups and down may be better for both.  

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

What is stopping you if that is what they ask for?

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

99% of Government workers are on salaries not time cards.

Not here in Maine.

My BIL is a salaried MDOT supervisor. All those below him are hourly.

He takes all of his summer OT comp time and goes to Florida for 6 weeks each winter.

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I don't get bennies for my comp time.  I work around 2050 hours a year, so it doesn't effect me,and it helps my employer.

Yes it helps the employer is my point. Which is fine if the employee would prefer the comp time thats great. But if Im working overtime I want the money. Thats why i work, to make money. And for most the only real opportunity to make more money is to work more...ie.OVERTIME... :bc: 

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

horseshit,  most public works employees and police and fire are hourly and are a huge chunk of the government workforce.  Sure plenty of state and fed jobs along with teachers and administrators at the local level are salary but it's far from being 1%

1 hour ago, MILFMAN said:

Not here in Maine.

He takes all of his summer OT comp time and goes to Florida for 6 weeks each winter.

So he works for the State of Maine? I meant fed workers.

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

horseshit,  most public works employees and police and fire are hourly and are a huge chunk of the government workforce.  Sure plenty of state and fed jobs along with teachers and administrators at the local level are salary but it's far from being 1%

I dont know any local pw worker, police or fire employee who punches a clock.

8 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Wrong

3 minutes ago, MILFMAN said:

Not here in Maine.

My wife works for the state. She's salary but the her staff is hourly.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

So he works for the State of Maine? I meant fed workers.

Then get your facts straight before you make a blanket statement. As you are a Dem. I realize that is difficult for you. :bc:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anler said:

One of our local marinas does similar for their people. During spring launch and fall haul out their guys work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. Just about all of them bank those hours rather than take the money. During the winter when things are close to dead they avoid seasonal lay offs and they are able to collect their regular pay cheque while working part weeks. They have a fair bit of work from customers who want things done in the off season but not enough to keep everyone busy for full weeks. The business and the employees are quite happy with the arrangement.

9 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What is stopping you if that is what they ask for?

it is illegal here for a non exempt employee to not get their OT.  

This law would allow the employer and employee to hopefully work out mutually beneficial situations

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

it is illegal here for a non exempt employee to not get their OT.  

This law would allow the employer and employee to hopefully work out mutually beneficial situations

How do the unions get around it?  Seems like its in place for some already.

Sounds like a good plan (politics aside) that lets the employer/employee match each others needs.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Anler said:

Yes it helps the employer is my point. Which is fine if the employee would prefer the comp time thats great. But if Im working overtime I want the money. Thats why i work, to make money. And for most the only real opportunity to make more money is to work more...ie.OVERTIME... :bc: 

I'd say a larger % of my people would prefer more PTO.  We have a few that you practically have to force to take time off.    

• Gold Member
37 minutes ago, Anler said:

What benefits does the city pay on overtime hours worked?

12 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Where did all the liars run off to. :dunno:  

It appears, like many threads they start, this one didn't work out as planned.  But NOT TO FEAR!  It appears more are being started by the same ones now giving this thread a good "leaving alone".

Because, they have really good credibility on the board. :lol: