So true

3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Nope.  

How about bumping up the $500/yr ceiling on the original GM Card? The card started (in 1994?) with a $1000/yr ceiling with 7 years of accrual for a $7000 cap. Then, somewhere around 1998, you cut the program back to $500/yr, 7 years, $3500 cap. Well, it's been 15 years now and the cost of everything has gone up (including the cars), making this benefit less and less valuable. As a percentage of GM Card holders, there can't be many people left in this program after many of them "switched over to" the "New" GM Card (in '98). Why not reward these loyal customers with a ceiling bump (say, to $750)? It wouldn't be without benefit to you. Many of these people probably stop using the card once they reach the maximum accrual for the year. You'd get another $5000 worth of charges (i.e. merchant fees) from every one of these card holders in exchange for $1750 more in rebate dollars at time of car purchase. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Hmmm, I'll have to ask my uncle what card his is then, I thought it was the original GM card.  He trades pickups about once a year on card points.  

I know my old Ford card was funky as I could put it toward any vehicle, new or used, from any manufacturer.  I just had to send in a copy of the bill of sale.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mainecat said:

More interesting info-

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-card-debt

when I was a kid 3 channels with a rooftop antennae....FREE! Then came cable 9.99 a month 22 stations....then it went out of control. Most towns allowed one contract with one company and they would just increase every year.

First phone bill I paid when I got married was under 20 bucks. Electric was the same

Yep.   If people spent the same % of their income today on the non-essentials we wouldn't be in the shape we are.  But its always someone elses fault. :lol:  

When I bought my second home in 2000 it cost me $132K.   The realtor told me it was the most expensive non-new home ever sold in our town.   That's fucking crazy.   We have a dozen on the market today over $225 and some over $350K.

17 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

The problem is those points will change or stop in 12-24 months and you have to chase another deal.

i stick with my amex and bofA  rewards card that i have had for years,  not the best deals but i see a coworker chasing the specials on his discover and think thats just too much work. BofA will give me 3% on gas but i prefer to use my .10 off a gallon by paying through the app at cumbies. 

I've taken vacations for the last 20 years with my amex sometimes paying for the entire thing sometimes just getting the plane tickets depending on the year, miss all the business spending i had for a decade.  

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

more and more with me. I haggle a lot now. After dealing with customers that haggled for decades its my turn

I got 10 bucks off on  a battery, paying cash,  for my SXS the other day.  

What bothers me is restaurants carrying away our CC. Why can't they just swipe it right at the table. A lot of bars want to hold your card while you drink, fuck that, I pay as I go.  

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Yep.   If people spent the same % of their income today on the non-essentials we wouldn't be in the shape we are.  But its always someone elses fault. :lol:  

When I bought my second home in 2000 it cost me $132K.   The realtor told me it was the most expensive non-new home ever sold in our town.   That's fucking crazy.   We have a dozen on the market today over $225 and some over $350K.

In 1982 12 room Victorian our first was 52K.....sold it for 395K in 2005

Had a few multis all sold in 06. Had em for 20 years.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Hmmm, I'll have to ask my uncle what card his is then, I thought it was the original GM card.  He trades pickups about once a year on card points.  

I know my old Ford card was funky as I could put it toward any vehicle, new or used, from any manufacturer.  I just had to send in a copy of the bill of sale.  

I have the original card.  Been $500 year for 7 years max for me for a long, long time.

Just now, Cold War said:

What bothers me is restaurants carrying away our CC. Why can't they just swipe it right at the table. A lot of bars want to hold your card while you drink, fuck that, I pay as I go.  

Yep..we use cash at restaurants now too.  I've been swindled more than a few times with false charges.  All kinda little stuff that my credit card company catches for me.  But a year ago somebody bought 2 new X boxes that they did not catch.  That was a little more of a bitch to have removed but charges were refunded.  It's hard to know where it is safe to use cards or not anymore.  That's when we decided to use cash at certain places.  It's crazy.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

honestly the numbers adjusted for inflation  not out that out of whack.  

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

You can't buy the average condominium apartment here for $350K let alone a house. House prices are going up at an unprecedented rate

The average price of $1.21-million for detached properties sold in the GTA this past month smashed the former peak of $1.07-million set in January and climbed 32.5 per cent from a year earlier.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

honestly the numbers adjusted for inflation  not out that out of whack.  

It is because there are so many more things.   Netflix, Onstar, Pandora (or similar).   Sure lots are pretty small monthly charges but they add up.   That doesn't even include the hardware.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-hidden-reasons-people-spend-too-much-1446433200

11 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I haven't been to a restaurant where they don't have a portable unit they bring to the table in a very long time.

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

You can't buy the average condominium apartment here for $350K let alone a house. House prices are going up at an unprecedented rate

The average price of $1.21-million for detached properties sold in the GTA this past month smashed the former peak of $1.07-million set in January and climbed 32.5 per cent from a year earlier.

That's fucking nuts.  You can buy close to 5000 square feet finished here for under $400K.  Cost more to build that now.  

Edited by Highmark

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

I haven't been to a restaurant where they don't have a portable unit they bring to the table in a very long time.

Yeah...been seeing a lot of those here too.  Good idea.  You know what the funny thing is?  It's actually a pain in the ass to pay with cash. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That's fucking nuts.  You can buy close to 5000 square feet finished here for under $400K. 

That will get you a small condominium in an okay neighbourhood.

A house listed for just over $1.2 million sold for $800,000 over it’s asking price. In less than a week.

The detached 4-bedroom home is in the Dufferin Grove neighbourhood, located on Concord Avenue in the city’s west end. The home, which has 2 fireplaces, a finished basement, and an oversized kitchen, sold in less than seven days for $2.1 million.

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-house-sold-800k-over-asking-march-2017

Edited by 02sled

6 minutes ago, 02sled said:

That will get you a small condominium in an okay neighbourhood.

Local ad. 

13.6 ACRE LOT with cart path access to Country Club Golf Course, 1.5 story home on beautiful wooded lot with creek, Detached 2 story 30x24 shop. Custom Maple/Cherry/Beech millwork throughout home. Large walk in pantry. Granite countertops. Various tray ceilings.Large office. Basement bar. Large 26x20 patio. 5 BR / 3.5 baths  3600 sq feet on main floor.  All brick.   Walkout basement. 7 garage stalls.  

$599K

Edited by Highmark

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I have the original card.  Been $500 year for 7 years max for me for a long, long time.

I know when we bought the Malibu, they'd only let us use $1500 vs what was on the card.  If we get another new vehicle again, I don't think it will be a GM.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I know when we bought the Malibu, they'd only let us use $1500 vs what was on the card.  If we get another new vehicle again, I don't think it will be a GM.

You don't have the original card then, that or they limited it because of other rebates/discounts. 

26 minutes ago, Highmark said:

That's fucking nuts.  You can buy close to 5000 square feet finished here for under $400K.  Cost more to build that now.  

My neighbor just went on the market 2800sf in need of a full interior reno for $589.  Figure it will sell in the 530-540 range and needs $75-85k interior work.  

CC is all I use. Chase unlimited is 1.5% back on everything with no limits.  I Have another that's 5% back on select purchases. I just pay them off every 2 weeks on payday. Never once have I had interest or penalty payments. 

Got to love free money! 

Edited by Doorider

31 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

My neighbor just went on the market 2800sf in need of a full interior reno for $589.  Figure it will sell in the 530-540 range and needs $75-85k interior work.  

Sounds like a bargain compared to here... we have bidding wars with houses selling in as little as a day well above asking. A 1957, 1100 sq. ft. bungalow in need of a major overhaul, new roof, original 1950's windows and doors, original kitchen and bathroom, partially finished basement just sold for $889K. The day it went on sale there was a line up in the driveway waiting for the realtor to arrive.

Edited by 02sled

13 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Sounds like a bargain compared to here... we have bidding wars with houses selling in as little as a day well above asking. A 1957, 1100 sq. ft. bungalow in need of a major overhaul, new roof, original 1950's windows and doors, original kitchen and bathroom, partially finished basement just sold for $889K. The day it went on sale there was a line up in the driveway waiting for the realtor to arrive.

yup every markets different,  my house 30 minutes south would be worth 25% more 30 minutes north 30% less 

19 minutes ago, 02sled said:

And people debate that the banks were the sole cause of the housing crash. :lol: Sooner or later the market comes to its senses.  It will crash again in area's like this.   Home values were not hit that hard the last time in my area.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Only one place we go to has a portable,  we go out 3-4 times a week to various places. Seems like a great idea, not sure why it not more popular around here.