What's a Website Domain Name Worth

5 minutes ago, hayward said:

are you kidding me?  after the company wanting to buy it reads a bit of what goes on around here, Tom will have to pay them to take the name.  This place is a real live version of one flew over the coo-coo's nest. :lol:

2 minutes ago, hayward said:

you don't have to be a crazy nut-job basket-case with a dismal home life to hang out here, but it deffinately helps.:ashamed:

LOL, true story. :bc:

So a few years ago I had an idea for a website and the perfect name. I do a domain search on one of those sites and sure enough it's available. But I don't buy it right then. About a month later I go to secure the domain and wtf? It's taken. There is no site but when you punch it in they advertise that it is for sale for $5500. I'm like mother fucker. That fucking site stole my domain name. I'd say settle for no less than $5500...

Where'd this self-proclaimed garden gnome run off to anyways.  Asks an important question in front of a bunch of experts and runs off just when the thread gets legs.  Probly trying to delete his account here just in case....  

4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Interestingly, I got a call this week from a company that wants to buy my akracing.com domain name.  I started the website back in 2004 when we were racing SnoX full time.  The last couple of years I have neglected the website but I still own the domain name and pay for hosting. 

The company that wants to buy my website name makes gaming chairs.   Nice gaming chairs.  Their first offer is pretty good, $4000 plus a couple of their gaming chairs so I don't think I will even counter offer.  I talked to them earlier today and talked to my web designer (my wife) and I think I m going to accept their offer and let them have akracing.com

Suggestions/Opinions?

Here is the company

http://akracing.co/

Some of their gaming chairs.

16806743_1243687802394499_64708236470060

3 hours ago, Boered said:

They want it..it has value, counter with 15k no chairs and see where they go. They will not just give up but will either take it or offer you another number. I know you will get more than 5 if they offered 4 off the bat.

Zoso is right, the company name is akracing, $15,000.00 is a drop in the bucket in marketing terms.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

So a few years ago I had an idea for a website and the perfect name. I do a domain search on one of those sites and sure enough it's available. But I don't buy it right then. About a month later I go to secure the domain and wtf? It's taken. There is no site but when you punch it in they advertise that it is for sale for $5500. I'm like mother fucker. That fucking site stole my domain name. I'd say settle for no less than $5500...

They monitored google search terms and figured for 5 bucks it was worth the gamble.

1 minute ago, Kivalo said:

They monitored google search terms and figured for 5 bucks it was worth the gamble.

Maybe, this was a domain name/ web hosting site. So it probably costs them pennies. And I bought the same domain name with a .Net instead of .Com. if it takes off I'll buy it from those momos.

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Maybe, this was a domain name/ web hosting site. So it probably costs them pennies. And I bought the same domain name with a .Net instead of .Com. if it takes off I'll buy it from those momos.

Make sure they keep the original Momo locked up tho. :bc:

Hey guys. Thanks for all the input. I got swamped yesterday and couldn't get back on to review all the responses.  

Here are my thoughts. 

1. The company already has a perfectly good website. My .com name just gives them a little more legitimacy but they are already pretty legit. 

2.  If i countered with a huge sum of say $10k they will laugh and say no thanks so then i would  need to counter offer.  At that point I would look despirate.

3.  The equivelent of $5000 is all a website name is worth.  They are only buying the .com and historically that alone isnt worth all that much except in rare circumstances  

4.  I dont need the money but I need akracing.com even less.  It cost me a few hundred a year to host and register the domain name and i dont even use the website any more.  They know this as they have been watching it for a few years now.  My wife pulled up a couple of old emails from them as far back as 2014 where they asked if i wanted to sell the .com. I never responded to them because i wasnt interested in selling.  They sent akracing a facebook message middle of the summer last year.  Out of the blue they decided to just call my cell phone. that i have published on akracing.com.  I answered and here we are.

5.  I am not a greedy person.  I like to give things away.  I got to where i am today by being very giving with my time, money and knowledge.  

6.  Im the type of guy who pays full asking price, without dickering, when something is priced correctly.  Inversely, when i sell something i put the price i expect to get out of it and never list it as OBO.  Its a cold day that i will take an offer less than my asking price.  I dont like to dicker.  I will say price is firm.  When im buying and the price is high i ask if that is their final price, if they say yes i walk away.

I think their offer is more than fair.  Akracing.com has run its course. Time for someone else to get some use out of it.  

Thanks for the input.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hey guys. Thanks for all the input. I got swamped yesterday and couldn't get back on to review all the responses.  

Here are my thoughts. 

1. The company already has a perfectly good website. My .com name just gives them a little more legitimacy but they are already pretty legit. 

2.  If i countered with a huge sum of say $10k they will laugh and say no thanks so then i would  need to counter offer.  At that point I would look despirate.

3.  The equivelent of $5000 is all a website name is worth.  They are only buying the .com and historically that alone isnt worth all that much except in rare circumstances  

4.  I dont need the money but I need akracing.com even less.  It cost me a few hundred a year to host and register the domain name and i dont even use the website any more.  They know this as they have been watching it for a few years now.  My wife pulled up a couple of old emails from them as far back as 2014 where they asked if i wanted to sell the .com. I never responded to them because i wasnt interested in selling.  They sent akracing a facebook message middle of the summer last year.  Out of the blue they decided to just call my cell phone. that i have published on akracing.com.  I answered and here we are.

5.  I am not a greedy person.  I like to give things away.  I got to where i am today by being very giving with my time, money and knowledge.  

6.  Im the type of guy who pays full asking price, without dickering, when something is priced correctly.  Inversely, when i sell something i put the price i expect to get out of it and never list it as OBO.  Its a cold day that i will take an offer less than my asking price.  I dont like to dicker.  I will say price is firm.  When im buying and the price is high i ask if that is their final price, if they say yes i walk away.

I think their offer is more than fair.  Akracing.com has run its course. Time for someone else to get some use out of it.  

Thanks for the input.  

Good enough :bc:

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Here are my thoughts. 

Thanks for the input.  

:bc: I say you get a black and yellow chair. :stoned:

15 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Here are my thoughts. 

Thanks for the input.  

Take the money.  I'd tell you to take Sherri on a nice vacation, but you already covered that this year in spades :lol:  :bc: 

On 4/25/2017 at 7:56 PM, SSFB said:

Yeah, I get that they want the name but if Tom were to have more traffic on the site and be gaining advertising revenue from it, then it would be worth more to him. 

Nobody sells something if they're going to make more by keeping it. 

I think we all sign up for toms website and copy and paste all the posts from here.......between zam and Momo, it'll be wort 20x what they're offering.

1 minute ago, s pump said:

I think we all sign up for toms website and copy and paste all the posts from here.......between zam and Momo, it'll be wort 20x what they're offering.

:goodpost:

21 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Take the money.  I'd tell you to take Sherri on a nice vacation, but you already covered that this year in spades :lol:  :bc: 

Just finished paying for our trip to Europe this Fall.  Be gone for 5 weeks.  Don't let those $5000 Viking Cruise ads fool ya.  The by one get one free line is BS. :lol:  

We busted out budget by about 30% but we're going for 5 weeks and we will see a lot of stuff.  I want to get over and see that part o the world before the Mooslims fuck it all up real good.  

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

If you'd have a use for the, I think I'd take a bike less and try to get 4 or 6 matching chairs.    

2 chairs is probably enough.  They will look good in the family/game room.  

On 4/27/2017 at 0:17 AM, AKIQPilot said:

Here are my thoughts. 

Thanks for the input.  

I say take the money and a couple of chairs.  The story alone is worth it just to brag among your friends.