F150 - New Tires

I'm on my fifth set of Duratrac's.  Some good rubber for sure.  I saw some Nitto Grapplers I liked the other day too.  And BFG AT was what I had before...and would consider again.  These Dura's have just been that damn good though.

• Like 1

Always been a big fan of Michelin M&S tires, but they might be overkill if you already have/use snowies.

Personally, I'd look for another, less aggressive, Michelin if I were you, but tires are like sleds, everyone has their favorites. 

7 minutes ago, irv said:

Always been a big fan of Michelin M&S tires, but they might be overkill if you already have/use snowies.

Personally, I'd look for another, less aggressive, Michelin if I were you, but tires are like sleds, everyone has their favorites. 

I know.

Thanks for the input guys keep them comming.  I don't mind the M&S and this year the all season's stayed on as the F150 never made it up north.

I have heard good thing about the Duratrac's as well.

50 minutes ago, Boered said:

I run cooper atw year round winter rated. May not if I actually put a lot of miles on the truck. They are pretty sticky.

Truck does not really see a lot of miles, 2010 with 80K.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

I know.

Thanks for the input guys keep them comming.  I don't mind the M&S and this year the all season's stayed on as the F150 never made it up north.

The biggest reason I went to the DT's is the wear.  They wear a lot more symmetrical than the BFG's did. The BFG's seemed to wear on the edges giving you the dreaded "Whooop, Whooops" at speed.  Also, the DT's are a lot quieter than the BFG's were.  They are both pretty aggressive.  I do believe that BFG has a new design now.

Image result for bfg at

Image result for duratrac

Image result for nitto grappler trail

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I know.

I just noticed that Costco currently has $70 off of Michelins if you're a member?

http://tires2.costco.ca/Home.aspx?whs=1128&lang=en-CA

30 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Truck does not really see a lot of miles, 2010 with 80K.

The coopers are four season tires with the snowflake and are really great winters that you can run year round. If you are not mudding it they will easily handle off road trail duty in ight mud and rocks and are car like on road. Perfect all round tire at a good price. I had duratracs on prior and these are better for 99% of my driving.

Had Michelin M&S original on my Ridgeline...  last 164km!!!  Really only replaced because the rubber was getting too hard/cracked.  Still more than enough tread to pass safeties.  BUT pricey!!!  After those I ran Nokian all season winter rated.  Good tire for low price.  Got about 80k out of them.  Nosier than the Michelins.

3 minutes ago, Boered said:

The coopers are four season tires with the snowflake and are really great winters that you can run year round. If you are not mudding it they will easily handle off road trail duty in ight mud and rocks and are car like on road. Perfect all round tire at a good price. I had duratracs on prior and these are better for 99% of my driving.

Just noticed your AVI. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

The biggest reason I went to the DT's is the wear.  They wear a lot more symmetrical than the BFG's did. The BFG's seemed to wear on the edges giving you the dreaded "Whooop, Whooops" at speed.  Also, the DT's are a lot quieter than the BFG's were.  They are both pretty aggressive.  I do believe that BFG has a new design now.

Image result for bfg at

Image result for duratrac

Image result for nitto grappler trail

That is the thread I am looking for. 

I went with DT recently, a tire with good reviews and crappy always has them on sale.

Worked well in the winter, so far with the spring temps, good as well.

My short list consisted of DT, Toyo AT2 extreme and BFG.....If the price was not a factor I'd buy the Toyo.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I here good things about the Dura Tracs and the Toyo's. Never run stuff that pricey myself.

I bought GY SRA's at Crappy last year, set of 4 for $600.

This year I'm burning off my winters.

I'm running BFG AT's on my work truck but only because I found a set for $300 used....lol

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I here good things about the Dura Tracs and the Toyo's. Never run stuff that pricey myself.

I bought GY SRA's at Crappy last year, set of 4 for $600.

This year I'm burning off my winters.

I'm running BFG AT's on my work truck but only because I found a set for $300 used....lol

Was that an LT tire?

My F150 will be in need of its third set of tires this fall.  Originals were Goodyear AT/S and currents are Michelin LTX AT2 ten plys.  Want something more aggressive this time around as the truck doesn't see much summer daily driver use.  I'm thinking of going with the Duratracs only because a family member can hook me up with a decent discount.  If not for that, it would probably be a set of Toyo AT's.  Or Michelin LXT M/S2.  As an auto tech I get to see/drive lots of truck tires and get a feel for their lifespan from our regular customers.  IMO the cheaper tires wear too fast and really aren't much of a bargain.  And P-series tires have no business being on a pickup truck.  The Duratracs are fine if you have good wheel alignment and keep them rotated, but will quickly chop on the edges and sound like a helicopter if you don't. 

9 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

My F150 will be in need of its third set of tires this fall.  Originals were Goodyear AT/S and currents are Michelin LTX AT2 ten plys.  Want something more aggressive this time around as the truck doesn't see much summer daily driver use.  I'm thinking of going with the Duratracs only because a family member can hook me up with a decent discount.  If not for that, it would probably be a set of Toyo AT's.  Or Michelin LXT M/S2.  As an auto tech I get to see/drive lots of truck tires and get a feel for their lifespan from our regular customers.  IMO the cheaper tires wear too fast and really aren't much of a bargain.  And P-series tires have no business being on a pickup truck.  The Duratracs are fine if you have good wheel alignment and keep them rotated, but will quickly chop on the edges and sound like a helicopter if you don't. 

My experience vs. the BFG's has been minimum "chop" on the edges.  I don't rotate either.  Now I run my tires down to about 30% and sell them off and put that money toward a new set, so maybe they get the "whoops" after that mark.

You may just be lucky?  Or the Toyota you run is less prone to it than the GM's I work on?  Most lug trad tires are prone to cupping on the steer tires from my experience.  I'very seen it many times where the Duratracs on the back are wearing flat as a pancake, but the fronts are chopping on the outer lugs.  Had a couple owners of the newer Z71's with the Duratrac option complaining about noise thinking its wheel bearings.  Nope, the truck has 30,000 km and never rotated the tires.  I'm a strong believer in rotating the tires every oil change, but I'm doing it myself and don't have to pay for it.   Rear tires go to the front and the fronts switch sides and go to the rear.  

35 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

You may just be lucky?  Or the Toyota you run is less prone to it than the GM's I work on?  Most lug trad tires are prone to cupping on the steer tires from my experience.  I'very seen it many times where the Duratracs on the back are wearing flat as a pancake, but the fronts are chopping on the outer lugs.  Had a couple owners of the newer Z71's with the Duratrac option complaining about noise thinking its wheel bearings.  Nope, the truck has 30,000 km and never rotated the tires.  I'm a strong believer in rotating the tires every oil change, but I'm doing it myself and don't have to pay for it.   Rear tires go to the front and the fronts switch sides and go to the rear.  

I'm actually really easy on my trucks.  I need these tires on my bad as trucks for when the mall parking lot is slightly wet. :lol:

My alignment on my Z71 was always fucked though...had it checked every six months.  Tie rods replaced also. Must be a Chevy thing? 

Still, my DT's wear very well, but I'm not throttling through tins either.  That helps with cupping tons.

:bc:

Michelin LTX AT2 have a decently aggressive tread yet are still relatively quiet. Usually I have had Goodyear Wrangler ATS on the truck and this is the first time with the Michelin and after a year I really like them. The reason I changed was when I needed tires the Goodyear were on backorder everywhere I checked. Cheap tires like someone else said just don't last the same so your cost per km isn't as good.

It seems some of the tire life expectancy may be the truck itself. A couple of people I know with newer GMC trucks have been eating front tires. They have yet to figure out why and the dealers have been little to no help.

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

Michelin LTX AT2 have a decently aggressive tread yet are still relatively quiet. Usually I have had Goodyear Wrangler ATS on the truck and this is the first time with the Michelin and after a year I really like them. The reason I changed was when I needed tires the Goodyear were on backorder everywhere I checked. Cheap tires like someone else said just don't last the same so your cost per km isn't as good.

It seems some of the tire life expectancy may be the truck itself. A couple of people I know with newer GMC trucks have been eating front tires. They have yet to figure out why and the dealers have been little to no help.

Geez, there's a surprise. :snack: