F150 - New Tires

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Garth said:

Was that an LT tire?

No, P's.

Its a Dodge 1500 Crew. I have no need for LT's on it. Biggest load it ever sees is when I have 4 adults in the cab.

Went with Michelin Defender LTX M&S on my truck a couple of weeks back. The original tires treated me well n gave exceptional service life but there is no comparison with how much better it rides and drives on the new skinz. My only regret, not having bought them sooner.  After shopping, price on the Michelins was within a pinch of other premium tires out there.

14 hours ago, 02sled said:

Michelin LTX AT2 have a decently aggressive tread yet are still relatively quiet. Usually I have had Goodyear Wrangler ATS on the truck and this is the first time with the Michelin and after a year I really like them. The reason I changed was when I needed tires the Goodyear were on backorder everywhere I checked. Cheap tires like someone else said just don't last the same so your cost per km isn't as good.

It seems some of the tire life expectancy may be the truck itself. A couple of people I know with newer GMC trucks have been eating front tires. They have yet to figure out why and the dealers have been little to no help.

I found the LTX AT2's were slippery on snow and ice compared to the Goodyear A/TS.  The Michelins also wore faster.  

One thing with GM trucks is the camber seems to go negative as the trucks age.  Even when it's still in spec but at the very end of the spec, it will be hard on the inside edge of the front tires.  Need an alignment guy willing to take the time to correct it, not just set the toe and let 'er go.  See so many of these trucks with worn tires that have never been adjusted properly.  I don't get why some owners will pay $1000 for a set of tires, but won't spend $70 to have the alignment corrected.  They think if the wheel is straight and it drives straight, must be ok.  

20 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

I found the LTX AT2's were slippery on snow and ice compared to the Goodyear A/TS.  The Michelins also wore faster.  

One thing with GM trucks is the camber seems to go negative as the trucks age.  Even when it's still in spec but at the very end of the spec, it will be hard on the inside edge of the front tires.  Need an alignment guy willing to take the time to correct it, not just set the toe and let 'er go.  See so many of these trucks with worn tires that have never been adjusted properly.  I don't get why some owners will pay $1000 for a set of tires, but won't spend $70 to have the alignment corrected.  They think if the wheel is straight and it drives straight, must be ok.  

Mine does need an alignment and will get one with the tires.

34 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Yeah, not sure what it is with the Chevys (the only trucks I've ever owned til recently), I know leveling kits and bigger rubber don't help but the front suspension is just weak.  I think the tie rods are the weakest link.  I have replaced several in an attempt to keep truck alignment in spec.  My last z71, they were both shot at 65k.

Also...amen on the alignment comment.  I get a lifetime alignment now.  I runs me about $350 but it allows me to get my truck in whenever I want (2x year usually) to keep it in check.  Haven't bought one for my Tundra yet but this truck seems to have better components as I've seen nothing in the way of the warning signs I used to get out of my Silverado.  :dunno:

Lifetime alignment?  Never heard of that.  Is it a chain store thing in the US?  

$350 would pay for about five two wheel alignments at the shop I'm at.  I'm guessing the're playing the odds that some guys may get it done 10 times over the course of a few years, while others might get it done a couple times and then get rid of the vehicle for whatever reason.  Up here it would be a hard sell to get someone to shell out $350 on wheel alignments.  

3 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Lifetime alignment?  Never heard of that.  Is it a chain store thing in the US?  

$350 would pay for about five two wheel alignments at the shop I'm at.  I'm guessing the're playing the odds that some guys may get it done 10 times over the course of a few years, while others might get it done a couple times and then get rid of the vehicle for whatever reason.  Up here it would be a hard sell to get someone to shell out $350 on wheel alignments.  

I use local shops now.  It used to be the Goodyear and Firestone chains would offer it.  That's where I started it.  Gotta talk to the local shops to see if they'll sell it.  Of course, loyalty plays into it a lot too.  It makes sense for both parties IMO.

Odd about tie rod end failures, seeing little to none here in the shop except for Dodges which generally fail in the 60k range, same for front brakes. Traded my '03 1500 Sierra in at north of 300k having replaced only one inner tie rod. 

12 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

Not surprised you came away unimpressed with the M&S AT2's. Many have reported premature wear, so so traction and cupping issues.

You got that right.  I've seen the AT2's down to the wear bars in 40,000km on a 2500hd Duramax that is worked.  Only reason I bought them is because they were $500 cash for a set of take offs from a brand new truck with 10 kilometers on it.  I've got 65,000km on them but they won't be good for another winter.     

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Getting duratracs put on.

Nice!

:bc:

Is it weird to ask for pics of your new tires once they are mounted?  Or is is weirder knowing I'm not the only ones that want pics? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Nice!

:bc:

Is it weird to ask for pics of your new tires once they are mounted?  Or is is weirder knowing I'm not the only ones that want pics? :lol:

:lol:

No prob when i pick it up later.  Getting some other things done as well.

8 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Man...it's always exciting to get new tread! :bc:

As long as the shop does a good job of installing & balancing them...

Cannot believe how many places do such a crap job when balancing med to decent sized truck tires.

9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Man...it's always exciting to get new tread! :bc:

It is.  I really like the tires but wont have the truck til tomorrow as other parts did not make it in.

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What do you think i go  grocery shopping with it?  Ignore the parking lot.  Lol.

i have to make it a point to head down a dirt road with mine every couple of months to exercise the 4WD.  "TRD RACING UBER OFF-ROAD BADASS.........LIMITED!!!!!!"  

Who the fuck scratched my door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!