Vermont law alows for adults to be naked around children

As liberal as this state is, I can't believe they take it this far.

Naked man turning heads in downtown Burlington

The nude pedestrian has been spotted several times this week

BURLINGTON (NECN) —Vermont has long been known for being very accepting of free-spirited people, but a man spotted several times this week on Burlington's Church Street Marketplace may be one of the freest spirits of them all.

The man has been strolling onto the marketplace the way he first entered the world: completely naked, save for sneakers on his feet and a bandana on his head.

"You could hear everyone laughing," recalled Cece Wick, who saw the man walk by Tuesday afternoon while she was eating lunch al fresco. "He walked down the marketplace with a little bag--he had obviously done some shopping."

Necn was unable to locate anyone who knew the man or spoke with him, but everyone sure noticed his presence.

"I thought wow, he's wearing a lot of beige," laughed Tom Locatell, noting he did a double-take when he spotted the naked man. "It was an all-over tan, I'll tell you that much."

For at least two days this week, the nude dude's been turning heads on Church Street, the busiest shopping and dining district in the largest city in Vermont.

While one Church Street retailer sells t-shirts and other products urging people to "Keep Vermont Weird," the nude dude was a bit too weird for hot dog seller Dave Stoll.

"Being naked doesn't bother me whatsoever," the food vendor told necn. "The part that bothers me is they're running around naked when there's very young kids around."

One man on Church Street told necn he believed the naked person to just be exercising his rights, albeit in an unusual way.

Burlington Police Lieutenant Paul Glynn said under state law, there's not much the city's officers can do, as long as the man left home naked, and is not disrobing in public, harassing people, or touching himself.

"I would imagine this is no more than attention-seeking behavior," Glynn said. "It's not necessarily illegal. Certainly we feel it's inappropriate--it's not the venue."

Glynn noted the presence of many young children on the marketplace with their families during the day in the summer.

Glynn said if merchants on Church Street feel uncomfortable, by all means they should feel free to deny this man service if he shows up again.

http://www.wptz.com/news/naked-man-turning-heads-in-downtown-burlington/40293130?utm_campaign=WPTZ&utm_content=57753afa04d3017761a74a47&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content

If I understand v.t law if any individual leaves home nude it's legal but if you un.dress it's illegal.

More over if you live in v.t 6 months you can legally have assisted suicide.

13 hours ago, Zambroski said:

What is going on out there?  Big hippie convention on the way too. Hold on to your hats!!!!

The only conservative part of the state is the area that I live in. But since it's also the area with the lowest population there isn't any voting power here to help even things out. The liberals in Burlington pretty much set the course for the state.

Here's a little piece on the hippie convention that Z mentioned.

Rainbow gathering grows to 2,300

The count of people at the Rainbow Family National Gathering in Mount Tabor is up to about 2,300, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

The gathering is expected to grow as the weekend approaches, but likely will not reach the 15,000 people officials initially expected.

The Rainbow Family, a loose-knight collection of people that gets together each year for July 4, is meeting in the Green Mountain National Forest north of Manchester.  They started to gather a week or so ago.

At the Mount Tabor site, there is  one road in – Forest Service 10 – and it was lined for about two miles with parked cars Tuesday.

The U.S. Forest Service is issuing daily news releases about the gathering. The report from Wednesday states:

“During the last two days 14 pounds of baked goods laced with THC, approximately 50 grams of a suspicious powdery substance, and various other illegal drugs were confiscated from Rainbow Family members at the gathering.”

This marks the 44th year of the Rainbow Family National Gathering, and the second time the group has met in Vermont. They met in the Green Mountain National Forest in Granville in 1991.