Doo 700 Twin Motors....any good?

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think letting them idle a bit is good but not hammering on them until they are up to temp is the key ....they dont need to be idled the whole time...just not hammered

Gotta rub some isoflex on your crank! 

28 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Note to self....if the sled is running on one cylinder, it's best to not head up a long ass hill climb.....especially in the middle of nowhere!!!

Sure sounds like that thing was running on one from the beginning of the video to me. :dunno:

1 minute ago, Mikeadoo said:

Note to self....if the sled is running on one cylinder, it's best to not head up a long ass hill climb.....especially in the middle of nowhere!!!

Sure sounds like that thing was running on one from the beginning of the video to me. :dunno:

These two cats are running on no cylinders...

https://youtu.be/Y996njQGekg

9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I think letting them idle a bit is good but not hammering on them until they are up to temp is the key ....they dont need to be idled the whole time...just not hammered

Back when I had my '01 and my '04   I use to go out with everything on but my helmet and gloves. Start them up and let them idle. Filled the injector oil, smoked a cigarette. And but the time I was done with my cig,I put my helmet and gloves on and they were warmed up and ready to go.   Now it's a matter of connecting my teather, pushing the start butting and letting it idle til it hits 85* and it's out of warm up mode. 

4 minutes ago, Mikeadoo said:

Sure sounds like that thing was running on one from the beginning of the video to me:dunno:

Yep

6 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Lol the poo doesn't even have exhaust valves and mine kept ripping out motor mounts and torque stops.

That's because the way the motors were mounted and the mounts themselves were shit. 

3 hours ago, Mikeadoo said:

Sounds like 2 cylinders to me. Just the POS clutch wouldn't hold rpm, and he had to feather it because the POS clutches build so much heat the belts only last 20 seconds at WOT.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Reliable engine, but I never lost to an MXZ 700 with my '01 800. 

SkiDoo should have kept the 670ho and shit canned the 700   The 670ho's are faster   It's to bad they never put the HO in the ZX chassis 

Pretty sure I've seen that sled you're talking about , Jimmy Snacks.  What happened to the zr700? 

:wrong:

8 hours ago, hayward said:

Out of a group of 4 of us who bought new 2000 700's mxz, 1 of us didnt trade in 02 for 800's.  He cleaned up on all of us and it was straight out the showroom, and mine even had work done to it.  All 4 were reliable as a body could ask for.  

Yeah that's what most of our riding group's experience was with those 700s. The 800 twins didn't seem to go for some reason. Some day I do want to pick up a Red 02 700 Renegade as I always thought those were one of the best looking sleds :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

IMO The Doo 700 is one of the better twin cylinder motors they made aside from the 586/670 rotary motors and the ETEC of course. I still have a pristine 700 Renegade that the GF's daughter started riding this season. If I could find a nice Toni haikonen I'd probably snatch it.

20170204_103251.thumb.jpg.b2ab50ecbca7dcaa6dbb79ceb07c1bd0.jpg

A buddy had 25K miles on his 700 and that was a few years back and was saying it's never been apart and is going to ride it to see how far it'll go. He was still on it last season but didn't talk to him to find out if he's done anything to it

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Isoflex FTMFW!

poor VInce,  he's never had a cat go that far with no issues

The Doo 700 was a good motor,  ran quick and when babied would get great fuel economy,  my old man pushed one over 150 miles on a fuel run up in quebec after we missed a fuel stop,  the last 30 i put him in front of me since i had a jerry can waiting for it to run out and it never did.  .  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

poor VInce,  he's never had a cat go that far with no issues

The Doo 700 was a good motor,  ran quick and when babied would get great fuel economy,  my old man pushed one over 150 miles on a fuel run up in quebec after we missed a fuel stop,  the last 30 i put him in front of me since i had a jerry can waiting for it to run out and it never did.  .  

Mine is a pig on fuel but I never baby it :bc: 

28 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Mine is a pig on fuel but I never baby it :bc: 

i have never babied it either but my 60 year old father was cruising steady all day at like 50 which kept it out of the powervalves apparently.  Rode 265 miles on 1 fillup-  I was used to having to fill the thing every 90 miles when i rode it.  

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i have never babied it either but my 60 year old father was cruising steady all day at like 50 which kept it out of the powervalves apparently.  Rode 265 miles on 1 fillup-  I was used to having to fill the thing every 90 miles when i rode it.  

Oh I believe you, just wish I could've got better mileage like that out of mine most times. I remember babying the heck out of it for miles right at E and handful of times just to try and make it to the next gas station. The stock non adjustable needle made it difficult and when I got it the DPM was already removed so I tried to work with it from there. Thankfully my buddy had his Jerry can a few times.

13 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

SkiDoo should have kept the 670ho and shit canned the 700   The 670ho's are faster   It's to bad they never put the HO in the ZX chassis 

Wrong again...

6 hours ago, GGNHL said:

:wrong:

Yeah that's what most of our riding group's experience was with those 700s. The 800 twins didn't seem to go for some reason. Some day I do want to pick up a Red 02 700 Renegade as I always thought those were one of the best looking sleds :bc:

I had spent $ on a clutch kit from Bickford's, pipe from dynaport, and jetted it, and it just could never get out of it's own way.  Then the crank bearings went at 2500 miles :fool:.