So, what's the story on the Unimog?

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

they are bad ass and not sure why they are not more popular in the privet sector. btw it is a benz and they come in a lot of diff truck styles

My buddy is looking at this for his deck building/construction business. He's tired of renting equipment and can't afford a backhoe. And this'll do 50mph, no need to trailer it.

13 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

they are bad ass and not sure why they are not more popular in the privet sector. btw it is a benz and they come in a lot of diff truck styles

Price probably

is it street legal ? like will it ass a dot stop?

it is very high end stuff parts are prob pretty $$ but like most German shit it is overbuilt for is intended job .

how much is he spending on it? could be a very handy tool for a construction company will tear shit up way less than a bobcat  . and he could get in to all sorts of other gigs with it like  egress  for 1 .

I would find it hard to believe dot would pass it with no rear bumpers just think what a Honda would look like rear ending it .

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

What is his plan on sourcing parts for it?

I asked him that, no solid answers yet lol.

He did say it had a lot of new/rebuilt shit done to it, so parts have to be available. Needs tires. 

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

is it street legal ? like will it ass a dot stop?

it is very high end stuff parts are prob pretty $$ but like most German shit it is overbuilt for is intended job .

how much is he spending on it? could be a very handy tool for a construction company will tear shit up way less than a bobcat  . and he could get in to all sorts of other gigs with it like  egress  for 1 .

I would find it hard to believe dot would pass it with no rear bumpers just think what a Honda would look like rear ending it .

He could probably just call it a tractor and drive it on the shoulder when he needed to. No way you'd go on the interstate, but you could probably cat it just like you would a tractor.

Just now, motonoggin said:

I asked him that, no solid answers yet lol.

He did say it had a lot of new/rebuilt shit done to it, so parts have to be available. Needs tires. 

I'd be leery of it if my livelihood depended on it.  I'd rather find a Bobcat or Deere mini-ex, but that is just me.  

Just now, Ez ryder said:

there are dealers in USA for unimog .  

Yeah, and there are JCB dealers in the US too.  That doesn't mean parts are in stock or available next day for reasonable cost.  Not just parts, service too.  

We went through something similar with a JCB FastTrac.  

FIL is going through this with his bargain priced White.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I'd be leery of it if my livelihood depended on it.  I'd rather find a Bobcat or Deere mini-ex, but that is just me.  

Yeah, and there are JCB dealers in the US too.  That doesn't mean parts are in stock or available next day for reasonable cost.  Not just parts, service too.  

guy is building decks can prob get by with out it for few weeks if needed put a backhoe on a bobcat u are spending some real cash . not saying it is not a better deal in the long run . but if a guy found a government maintained Mercedes and is getting for under 15 it is a good buy  and he will find a lot of uses for it . and again they are way overbuilt trucks

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Yeah, he'd rather have a mini excavator and a bobcat, but that's a fuck ton of money even for used. This thing is $16k.

8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

that thing was built a long time ago . close to 30 yrs would be my guess . if price was right I would buy it and get my money out of it for sure

Im guessing closer to 40 yrs

5 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Yeah, he'd rather have a mini excavator and a bobcat, but that's a fuck ton of money even for used. This thing is $16k.

Understood.  I'm going to guess that Unimog isn't going anywhere too fast.  Might be good to take a week or two and surf MachineryTrader and AuctionTime and see what is in his budget from there too.  

Just now, Dave said:

Im guessing closer to 40 yrs

early 80s would be my guess by the look of the cab . my old mans bud had a unimog tundra buggy welding truck in AK in the early 80s that looked like that cab . I don't know if they even make those things any more . the tundra buggys guys jacked em way up and used jumbo jet tires

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

early 80s would be my guess by the look of the cab . my old mans bud had a unimog tundra buggy welding truck in AK in the early 80s that looked like that cab . I don't know if they even make those things any more . the tundra buggys guys jacked em way up and used jumbo jet tires

The cab is what tell me 70's

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

What model and what's he looking for?

11 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

4-270.  Some trans parts.

oooooffff. I hear that's a tough one.  I'm sure he's tried but tell him Wengers in Meyerstown may be a place to try, although those models were never really popular here because no one had a reason years ago for a machine that big.  You never know though, and a phone call is cheap.

31 minutes ago, hayward said:

oooooffff. I hear that's a tough one.  I'm sure he's tried but tell him Wengers in Meyerstown may be a place to try, although those models were never really popular here because no one had a reason years ago for a machine that big.  You never know though, and a phone call is cheap.

He is having the parts made while he fixes other stuff on it.

10 hours ago, motonoggin said:

My buddy is looking at this for his deck building/construction business. He's tired of renting equipment and can't afford a backhoe. And this'll do 50mph, no need to trailer it.

Well I see a couple problems with using it for residential deck building. 

1. It looks heavy, could do some real damage driving onto residential properties and around to the back yard. Ruts in the yard, broken sidewalks, curbs, driveways. 

2. You sure that thing is DOT road ready? You still may have to trailer it.

3. Personally I think a track loader would be much more usable in a residential application. Buy a dump trailer and haul the skidsteer around in that. 

4. More accessory options with a skidsteer. Bucket, grapple, auger, back hoe, etc...

5. Accessibility - something that big is going to be limited where you can use it.

:dunno: