Wow!!! That was some intense weird shit

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That's a weird confirmation, in the Catholic religion there are three rites of initiation starting with baptism, then your communion (2nd grade), and confirmation about 7th grade. The purpose of confirmation is to confirm your belief in Jesus Christ as an understanding and consensual individual, and to receive the spirit of the Holy Ghost as the apostles did in Jerusalem.

I did my confirmation with at least 200 hundred others and it only took an hour or so on a late Saturday afternoon, afterwards we went to a very nice restaurant with my folks and my uncle who was my sponsor along with my aunt.

They do confirmation at the same time as first communion these days. :bc:

45 minutes ago, Anler said:

Our church does alot of good stuff. They operate a food pantry, they provide shelter for homeless people and they also provide help and services for pregnant teens, runaways and people who are down on their luck. You know the kind of stuff Jesus practiced and preached about. The condemnation and "judgey" snobbishness that looks down on everybody who doesnt believe as they do turns me off. 

We have a large and popular catholic church in my town. And I would consider the theme there rather "cult-ish" If you listen to some of our neighbors talk about how they are guilted into going to church every Sunday and guilted into confession if they miss a mass. Its really bizarre. One of our friends had a baby so she missed a Sunday or two. Her first Sunday back she had her baby baptized. Right after the baby was baptized she handed it off and went right into the confession booth to ask forgiveness for missing church. Our neighbor to the back of us pulled their kids out of the "elite" catholic school there because of all the bullshit and hoops they made them jump thru. This is the kind of shit that has turned me away from institutional religion. It has nothing to do with being a christian. 

That's a strange story compared to my upbringing.  They only held "confessions" at Easter and X-mas.  Mom would drag us to it once a year, if we needed it or not. :lol:   

40 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yep same here!

The feeling of being almost shunned for skipping a Sunday or not putting money in the envelope or wicker basket being passed around during mass. If I remember right, the church used to mail us envelopes that had our last name on it. They knew when we didn't donate or show up for mass. 

Yes, they mail out envelopes parish families but it's sure as heck not to keep track if you showed up on Sunday. :lol:  My Dad was involved in the Church for a long time.  The financials are always available for anyone to look at and there was usually barely enough to cover basic expenses.  There was nobody getting rich, that's a given.  

7 minutes ago, sledderj said:

That's a strange story compared to my upbringing.  They only held "confessions" at Easter and X-mas.  Mom would drag us to it once a year, if we needed it or not. :lol:   

Yes, they mail out envelopes parish families but it's sure as heck not to keep track if you showed up on Sunday. :lol:  My Dad was involved in the Church for a long time.  The financials are always available for anyone to look at and there was usually barely enough to cover basic expenses.  There was nobody getting rich, that's a given.  

I think it is strange for sure. Like I said before, I have talked to some of my catholic friends about it and its just normal to them because its been like that their whole lives but for someone who didnt grow up with it, it is fucking bizarre. Many of my friends went to catholic school also so they have been thoroughly brainwashed. What else I find completely hilariously hypocritical is most of them are not very religious in the sense that they dont really believe God exists but get up and stomp their feet any time christianity appears to be "threatened" or criticized. Im like you are the least christian person i know, why are you so pissed? :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, sledderj said:

Not around here.   They do it as sophomores and juniors in HS.  They feel they can better understand it and they also do a ton of volunteer work as well.    Around 40 hours I think.

Edited by Highmark

4 hours ago, Anler said:

Funny how the christian "right" hates this guy. This is probably the most christ-like pope in my lifetime. :lol: 

He just opened a free laundry for the homeless. That's cool.

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

Not around here.   They do it as sophomores and juniors in HS.  They feel they can better understand it and they also do a ton of volunteer work as well.    Around 40 hours I think.

I was confirmed at 16 or 17, but they did it at the same time as 1st communion with both my kids.  Must be something that they have some flexibility with.   :bc: