Wow!!! That was some intense weird shit

17 hours ago, BOHICA said:

My niece in law decided she was going to be a catholic...  decided to get confirmed on Saturday night before easter.  So it was like 15 minutes standing outside around an big bonfire.  Then we lit a candle and we all went into a dark church and stood there with candles burning for 15 minutes while some guy attempted to sing god knows what.  Then we got to blow the candles out and sit.  Then we stood and sat like a dozen times is in the dark over the next hour while people got up to a dimly lite podium and talked about who knows what.  Then the lights came on and there was little blond haired boys, swing these brass looking houses thingy things on chains under the watchful eyes of a bunch of old white dudes. Then another 1/2 hour of sitting and standing and old white guys following the little blond boys around holding a book over his head.

After 2 hours and no meat and potatoes (confirmation) I just had to go.

Wtf are people thinking?  I was raised Lutheran and nothing every remotely lasted as long as what I just experienced

Catholics are nuts. Weddings are just as bad, they last longer than the marriages do. And the first person who tried to tell me I can't eat meat on Easter is gonna get hit with a pork chop :thumb:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mainecat said:

LMAO Yup 3-4 hour ceremony. When I was 20 an old friend next door who I grew up with invited me to her Greek Orthodox wedding.....almost 4 hours in July. I almost passed out.  It was an awesome wedding to witness and the celebration after was incredible. Ask me again and no thanks.

When I worked in Hinton Alberta there was a restaurant called Gus's that was run by a Greek family. The guys mother sat in the same chair every time I was there. She had to have been 90 and never said a word :lol:looked like something out of a horror movie   Food was good but the Sambuca was disgusting 

1 hour ago, Ebsell said:

When I worked in Hinton Alberta there was a restaurant called Gus's that was run by a Greek family. The guys mother sat in the same chair every time I was there. She had to have been 90 and never said a word :lol:looked like something out of a horror movie   Food was good but the Sambuca was disgusting 

Ya Ya

I've been to a few Greek and Ukrainian Orthodox weddings over the years.  Very old school, ceremonial, and stresses subservience of women.  I always laugh because guaranteed, the brides are gritting their teeth while going through it.  

We were married in the Catholic church.  We decided to not have a full mass so the ceremony was just over a half hour.  If someone's snowflake ass couldn't handle that before they got to enjoy supper, drinks and a party, then it was probably best they stayed home. :bc:  

On 4/16/2017 at 0:20 AM, BOHICA said:

My niece in law decided she was going to be a catholic...  decided to get confirmed on Saturday night before easter.  So it was like 15 minutes standing outside around an big bonfire.  Then we lit a candle and we all went into a dark church and stood there with candles burning for 15 minutes while some guy attempted to sing god knows what.  Then we got to blow the candles out and sit.  Then we stood and sat like a dozen times is in the dark over the next hour while people got up to a dimly lite podium and talked about who knows what.  Then the lights came on and there was little blond haired boys, swing these brass looking houses thingy things on chains under the watchful eyes of a bunch of old white dudes. Then another 1/2 hour of sitting and standing and old white guys following the little blond boys around holding a book over his head.

After 2 hours and no meat and potatoes (confirmation) I just had to go.

Wtf are people thinking?  I was raised Lutheran and nothing every remotely lasted as long as what I just experienced

That's a weird confirmation, in the Catholic religion there are three rites of initiation starting with baptism, then your communion (2nd grade), and confirmation about 7th grade. The purpose of confirmation is to confirm your belief in Jesus Christ as an understanding and consensual individual, and to receive the spirit of the Holy Ghost as the apostles did in Jerusalem.

I did my confirmation with at least 200 hundred others and it only took an hour or so on a late Saturday afternoon, afterwards we went to a very nice restaurant with my folks and my uncle who was my sponsor along with my aunt.

Acts 8:14-17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15 who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized [a]in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+8%3A14-17&version=NASB

• Platinum Contributing Member

Mormons do 3 hours every Sunday minimum. More if you are a Bishop of the Ward. Crazy how much time is devoted to the church for them. 

Myself, I get the impression I might simultaneously combust the moment I walk into church.

49 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That's a weird confirmation, in the Catholic religion there are three rites of initiation starting with baptism, then your communion (2nd grade), and confirmation about 7th grade. The purpose of confirmation is to confirm your belief in Jesus Christ as an understanding and consensual individual, and to receive the spirit of the Holy Ghost as the apostles did in Jerusalem.

I did my confirmation with at least 200 hundred others and it only took an hour or so on a late Saturday afternoon, afterwards we went to a very nice restaurant with my folks and my uncle who was my sponsor along with my aunt.

I made my confirmation in the 8th grade. I took my uncle Paul's name who was my sponsor. 

:thumb:

14 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I got kicked out of catechism when I was in Jr. High so I never got Confirmed :lol: 

i told moms to piss off about that time as I had enough of the religious crap.  In the past 35+- years I've since attended church twice even though i graduated from a catholic college.  

34 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I got kicked out of catechism when I was in Jr. High so I never got Confirmed :lol: 

X2 :lol: Got caught at the park skipping catachism by the priest and told him I just wasn't interested in that religious thing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i told moms to piss off about that time as I had enough of the religious crap.  In the past 35+- years I've since attended church twice even though i graduated from a catholic college.  

That's pretty impressive considering the going to catholic college. My god son goes to De La Salle and it has since become more involved. Not sure how long he'll stick with it though after graduation.

Me getting booted was the end of my church going experience with the exception of weddings and funerals. 

Just now, Edmo said:

X2 :lol: Got caught at the park skipping catachism by the priest and told him I just wasn't interested in that religious thing. 

I got called into his office and it didn't go well at all :bc: 

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I got called into his office and it didn't go well at all :bc: 

I don't have an issue with religion at all and support others who choose to partake. Just the whole money grabbing church structure pisses me off. 

• Like 1

Just now, Edmo said:

I don't have an issue with religion at all and support others who choose to partake. Just the whole money grabbing church structure pisses me off. 

Our church does alot of good stuff. They operate a food pantry, they provide shelter for homeless people and they also provide help and services for pregnant teens, runaways and people who are down on their luck. You know the kind of stuff Jesus practiced and preached about. The condemnation and "judgey" snobbishness that looks down on everybody who doesnt believe as they do turns me off. 

We have a large and popular catholic church in my town. And I would consider the theme there rather "cult-ish" If you listen to some of our neighbors talk about how they are guilted into going to church every Sunday and guilted into confession if they miss a mass. Its really bizarre. One of our friends had a baby so she missed a Sunday or two. Her first Sunday back she had her baby baptized. Right after the baby was baptized she handed it off and went right into the confession booth to ask forgiveness for missing church. Our neighbor to the back of us pulled their kids out of the "elite" catholic school there because of all the bullshit and hoops they made them jump thru. This is the kind of shit that has turned me away from institutional religion. It has nothing to do with being a christian. 

10 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Yep same here!

The feeling of being almost shunned for skipping a Sunday or not putting money in the envelope or wicker basket being passed around during mass. If I remember right, the church used to mail us envelopes that had our last name on it. They knew when we didn't donate or show up for mass. 

12 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Everything costs money to run, churches are no different.  Do priests try to abuse their positions, of course they do.   

2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yep same here!

The feeling of being almost shunned for skipping a Sunday or not putting money in the envelope or wicker basket being passed around during mass. If I remember right, the church used to mail us envelopes that had our last name on it. They knew when we didn't donate or show up for mass. 

There is no obligation to donate to a church.  I believe the Pope came down pretty hard on priests who thought otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Anler said:

Our church does alot of good stuff. They operate a food pantry, they provide shelter for homeless people and they also provide help and services for pregnant teens, runaways and people who are down on their luck. You know the kind of stuff Jesus practiced and preached about. The condemnation and "judgey" snobbishness that looks down on everybody who doesnt believe as they do turns me off. 

We have a large and popular catholic church in my town. And I would consider the theme there rather "cult-ish" If you listen to some of our neighbors talk about how they are guilted into going to church every Sunday and guilted into confession if they miss a mass. Its really bizarre. One of our friends had a baby so she missed a Sunday or two. Her first Sunday back she had her baby baptized. Right after the baby was baptized she handed it off and went right into the confession booth to ask forgiveness for missing church. Our neighbor to the back of us pulled their kids out of the "elite" catholic school there because of all the bullshit and hoops they made them jump thru. This is the kind of shit that has turned me away from institutional religion. It has nothing to do with being a christian. 

I have not been to our church in many years and I would like to see our priest at the food shelter helping out the homeless.

Only an idiot would let a priests actions influence them being a christian.

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Yep same here!

I've moved a few times and noticed they're all the same. I actually liked the church here until I got 'the letter'. They whined about how people were just not showing up and they're struggling to pay the electric bill. Then they talk about how they need to expand the church buildings and really need donors to help with that. 

There is a fundamental disconnect from reality. When I'm having trouble paying bills I'm not thinking about adding on. 

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There is no obligation to donate to a church.  I believe the Pope came down pretty hard on priests who thought otherwise.

The Pope should come down real hard on some of these televangelists

1 minute ago, Edmo said:

I've moved a few times and noticed they're all the same. I actually liked the church here until I got 'the letter'. They whined about how people were just not showing up and they're struggling to pay the electric bill. Then they talk about how they need to expand the church buildings and really need donors to help with that. 

There is a fundamental disconnect from reality. When I'm having trouble paying bills I'm not thinking about adding on. 

We started in an old church with the wooden pews and padded kneeling boards then switched to a more "modern" church that even had padded chairs and didn't kneel. I thought it was the greatest thing back then. Still had that wicker basket going around though. I applaud all the things they do/did for the community but could do without the guilt trips

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The Pope might end up with a knife in his back.

Funny how the christian "right" hates this guy. This is probably the most christ-like pope in my lifetime. :lol: 

• Like 1