Wow!!! That was some intense weird shit

• Gold Member

My niece in law decided she was going to be a catholic...  decided to get confirmed on Saturday night before easter.  So it was like 15 minutes standing outside around an big bonfire.  Then we lit a candle and we all went into a dark church and stood there with candles burning for 15 minutes while some guy attempted to sing god knows what.  Then we got to blow the candles out and sit.  Then we stood and sat like a dozen times is in the dark over the next hour while people got up to a dimly lite podium and talked about who knows what.  Then the lights came on and there was little blond haired boys, swing these brass looking houses thingy things on chains under the watchful eyes of a bunch of old white dudes. Then another 1/2 hour of sitting and standing and old white guys following the little blond boys around holding a book over his head.

After 2 hours and no meat and potatoes (confirmation) I just had to go.

Wtf are people thinking?  I was raised Lutheran and nothing every remotely lasted as long as what I just experienced

6 hours ago, BOHICA said:

My niece in law decided she was going to be a catholic...  decided to get confirmed on Saturday night before easter.  So it was like 15 minutes standing outside around an big bonfire.  Then we lit a candle and we all went into a dark church and stood there with candles burning for 15 minutes while some guy attempted to sing god knows what.  Then we got to blow the candles out and sit.  Then we stood and sat like a dozen times is in the dark over the next hour while people got up to a dimly lite podium and talked about who knows what.  Then the lights came on and there was little blond haired boys, swing these brass looking houses thingy things on chains under the watchful eyes of a bunch of old white dudes. Then another 1/2 hour of sitting and standing and old white guys following the little blond boys around holding a book over his head.

Wtf are people thinking?  I was raised Lutheran and nothing every remotely lasted as long as what I just experienced

So i take it youve never been to a formal catholic wedding?           just go ahead and stick a fork in your eye if ever asked to attend one, it will be less painful.

• Like 1

I also was raised Lutheran, 8 years of Lutheran grade school, 2 years of Pastors Classes, Junior & Senior Choir, rang Church bells on Sundays and all other Religious holidays.

We were raised Methodist. Recently my mom decided she wanted to be Catholic. Mostly because I think all of her friends are Catholic and she wanted to go to church with them. That's all fine by me. But now she is insisting to bring my kids along for certain events. And my wife and I go along of course. But yeah some of the old ritualistic stuff just seems very cult-ish. Whenever I talk to any of my Catholic friends about it they just dismiss it. But that's what they are used to so it's not weird to them. Just like when you see a Muslim praying you think that's weird. Or a Jew with a stupid beard and hat. Religion is the indoctrination of people to control what they think and how they should act. Yet the invisible God doesn't change anything one way or the other. Crazy.  

My wife was raised Lutheran (strictly).  Her parents are still heavily involved in their church.  I'm an Atheist...but play along for her sides amusement.  All that shit creeps me out.  Last time I was in a church was for our daughters baptism.  It creeped me out then too.  That chanting put me on high alert! :lol: I was waiting for some type of live sacrifice to be brought forward.  As it turns out....it was sacrificed days earlier.  We ate like Kings afterwords!!!

1 hour ago, old indy said:

So i take it youve never been to a formal catholic wedding?           just go ahead and stick a fork in your eye if ever asked to attend one, it will be less painful.

Funerals.

Oy vey.

• Gold Member

I was American Lutheran....  church was never more then an hour.  That is as long as our pastor could go with out having a smoke.  50 minutes and then 10 minute to shake hands.

last night ever buddy got back after midnight.  3 1/2 hours of church they were there for.  I guess after I left the demons had left the building cause then they walked around with a hand broom and a bucket of water and flung water in people's face or some shit

Edited by BOHICA

me and my wife were married in a Serbian Orthodox church.

my friends still say it was some kind of x files shit .

the crowns the tying your hands together holding  dripping candles like some sort of S&M ritual  the chanting the swinging incense and to top it all off the the 90 some yr old priest who did the whole thing in Serbian .  the dear hunter wedding is closest I have seen   

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My wife was raised Lutheran (strictly).  Her parents are still heavily involved in their church.  I'm an Atheist...but play along for her sides amusement.  All that shit creeps me out.  Last time I was in a church was for our daughters baptism.  It creeped me out then too.  That chanting put me on high alert! :lol: I was waiting for some type of live sacrifice to be brought forward.  As it turns out....it was sacrificed days earlier.  We ate like Kings afterwords!!!

Really man?  Lutherans are the ones that creep you out?

We are a pretty tame non-creepy bunch, by and large.  

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

try a Greek wedding sometime. pack a lunch and snort some crystal meth beforehand. 

I love Greek parties. Growing up my best friend was Greek. Used to go to all of the Greek fests at their church. I remember first smelling the gyro meat cooking on the spit. Delicious!

9 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Really man?  Lutherans are the ones that creep you out?

We are a pretty tame non-creepy bunch, by and large.  

The whole religious thing creeps me out.  But as a whole, I think Lutherans are the most sane and apparently the least hippocritical.

My wife has fought with her "beliefs" since we've  been together...like most, she want to believe in the after life, but.....

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

I love Greek parties. Growing up my best friend was Greek. Used to go to all of the Greek fests at their church. I remember first smelling the gyro meat cooking on the spit. Delicious!

uh huh. i love em. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

try a Greek wedding sometime. pack a lunch and snort some crystal meth beforehand. 

LMAO Yup 3-4 hour ceremony. When I was 20 an old friend next door who I grew up with invited me to her Greek Orthodox wedding.....almost 4 hours in July. I almost passed out.  It was an awesome wedding to witness and the celebration after was incredible. Ask me again and no thanks.

5 hours ago, Woodtick said:

You all forgot about the most important part of any Catholic Mass,the passing of the basket. $$$$$$$$$$$$:justcuz:

I was raised  roman catholic, and I never understood what the fuck money has to do with the church. Needless to say,I don't believe in fuck all now.  If Jebus is out there and wants me to believe  show yourself.  Life is too short to devote /worship someone or something that may or not be there. How do you know which religion is the one? Nobody does. Sounds like sledding.  The one I ride is the best? No thanks