drinking and driving laws

yarddawg

Wednesday night my friend goes for a drink with some friends after work, really late at night in Milton. She is the DD and has 1 glass of wine. Cop is out back of the Ivy, which everybody knew, and my friend stops at her friends parked car to get some things. Cop radioed his buddy on the main street so he pulls up in another vehicle and long story makes her blow. He says he can't get a reading, but eventually shows her that she blew a warning.......hard to believe on only 1 drink??? Anyways, now her license is suspended for 3 days, but it works out to be 5 days because of the holiday. $150 to her license back, warning will show on her drivers abstract affecting her insurance etc. My point is, obviously she wasn't impaired, why couldn't the cop just do the right thing at 2am in the morning?

7 hours ago, yarddawg said:

Wednesday night my friend goes for a drink with some friends after work, really late at night in Milton. She is the DD and has 1 glass of wine. Cop is out back of the Ivy, which everybody knew, and my friend stops at her friends parked car to get some things. Cop radioed his buddy on the main street so he pulls up in another vehicle and long story makes her blow. He says he can't get a reading, but eventually shows her that she blew a warning.......hard to believe on only 1 drink??? Anyways, now her license is suspended for 3 days, but it works out to be 5 days because of the holiday. $150 to her license back, warning will show on her drivers abstract affecting her insurance etc. My point is, obviously she wasn't impaired, why couldn't the cop just do the right thing at 2am in the morning?

Because everything is on camera these days...and everybody sues should she drive away and get into a collision.  You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Fyi trudeau is also changing laws, police will no longer have to even suspect someone is impaired to demand a breathalyser. 

This is inline with Europe and US.. Also its been suggested to reduce the criminal limit fro .080 to .050 also inline with majority of the world...  The legalization of weed is driving a lot of this as well...  and there will still need to be suspicion of alcohol consumption to make demands for a roadside screening device and/or the intoxilyzer. 

Edited by odot1

8 hours ago, Boered said:

PIGS ruining lives every day.

The laws...not us PIGS..  Plus I'm pretty sure the PIGS did not encourage or force her to drink.

Edited by odot1

7 minutes ago, odot1 said:

The laws...not us PIGS..  Plus I'm pretty sure the PIGS did not encourage or force her to drink.

Pretty sure she was not driving so the pig was simply being, well he was being a pig. Punitive action when in fact according to the supreme court intent to drive needs to be proven,  getting something out of another persons car is not intent to drive. This is what happens when we give police the right to impose punitive action upon a person with no court ever hearing a case and no charges laid so no way to get this crap off your insurance history. You want to blame laws, well It is you that is enforcing them, so that makes you culpable in the harassment and punishment of innocent people. Rationalizing it away will never change that.

29 minutes ago, Boered said:

Pretty sure she was not driving so the pig was simply being, well he was being a pig. Punitive action when in fact according to the supreme court intent to drive needs to be proven,  getting something out of another persons car is not intent to drive. This is what happens when we give police the right to impose punitive action upon a person with no court ever hearing a case and no charges laid so no way to get this crap off your insurance history. You want to blame laws, well It is you that is enforcing them, so that makes you culpable in the harassment and punishment of innocent people. Rationalizing it away will never change that.

Go rant somewhere else.  

OP clearly stated she was driving!  Thats what this whole thread is about.  

As for insulting Odot 1 and other police officers I take offence to that as he is there protecting all of the public.  I live in Milton, my family drive around in Milton and i am greatful the police in Milton err on side of over protective.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Go rant somewhere else.  

OP clearly stated she was driving!  Thats what this whole thread is about.  

As for insulting Odot 1 and other police officers I take offence to that as he is there protecting all of the public.  I live in Milton, my family drive around in Milton and i am greatful the police in Milton err on side of over protective.

You poor thing taking offence...go find a safe space.  Feel free not to read what I post you idiot. Pigs do more harm than good.

57 minutes ago, odot1 said:

This is inline with Europe and US.. Also its been suggested to reduce the criminal limit fro .080 to .050 also inline with majority of the world...  The legalization of weed is driving a lot of this as well...  and there will still need to be suspicion of alcohol consumption to make demands for a roadside screening device and/or the intoxilyzer. 

I have heard this legislation is making a lot of cops worried.  

• Like 1

Boered.............get a life.  Odot along with other police officers, are not the bad guys here. I will however agree the rules of impaired or not have become confusing for most leaving them with really no clear idea of how much you can or not consume and stay within the law. My interpretation,  in our house, zero alcohol when driving, period. Makes it just that simple.

What is impaired driving?

Impaired driving means operating a vehicle (including cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles and off-road vehicles) while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

It is a crime under the Criminal Code of Canada and the consequences are serious. You may:

• lose your licence
  • have your vehicle impounded
  • need to pay an administrative monetary penalty
  • need to attend an education or treatment program
  • be fined upon conviction
  • be required to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle
  • spend time in jail
  • end up with a criminal record

Ontario is a leader in combating impaired driving through some of the toughest laws and programs in North America.

For more information on the consequences of operating a snowmobile or off-road vehicle while impaired please refer to the following pages

Drinking and driving

Even one drink can reduce your ability to react to things that happen suddenly while you are driving. The effects of alcohol include blurred or double vision, impaired attention and slowed reflexes. Your life and the lives of others can change forever if you drive after drinking alcohol.

Blood alcohol concentration

The amount of alcohol in your body is measured by the amount of the alcohol in your blood. This is called blood alcohol concentration, or BAC. Once you take a drink, there is no way to guess what your BAC is.

Many factors can affect your blood alcohol level including:

• how fast you drink
  • whether you are male or female
  • your body weight
  • the amount of food in your stomach

In Ontario and the rest of Canada, the maximum legal BAC for fully licensed drivers is 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood (0.08). Driving with BAC over 0.08 is a criminal offence.

Warn range

In Ontario, your BAC does not have to be over the 0.08 legal limit to result in serious consequences. If you register a BAC from 0.05 to 0.08 (commonly referred to as the warn range), you will face provincial administrative penalties.

Drug impaired driving

Drug impaired driving is illegal. Drugs can also impair your ability to drive. This is true for both illegal drugs and prescription or over-the-counter medication.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boered said:

Lmfao!  You sound like Zoso!!  If there was no driving then there can be no demand or licence suspension.  A driver's licence is not a Constitutional right. It's is loaned to you by the province based on their rules and regulations. 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I have heard this legislation is making a lot of cops worried.  

The legalization of weed is definitely making us worried. Based on Colorado there is a great deal to be concerned about.  Hopefully the province's manage it better than they did.  

5 hours ago, odot1 said:

Because everything is on camera these days...and everybody sues should she drive away and get into a collision.  You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1 drink, the cop had a conversation with her before he made her blow and he couldn't even give her the actual number that she blew? It's not right man, that's my opinion..............we need more common sense! I don't even believe that she could blow a warning with 1 glass of wine??? Do things right, they get a DD and she gets screwed!

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

The legalization of weed is definitely making us worried. Based on Colorado there is a great deal to be concerned about.  Hopefully the province's manage it better than they did.  

What exactly are you worried about. Do you actually think anyone gives a shit pot is now illegal? Anyone that wants it gets it right now, nothing will change other than you will have more time to enforce the law in other areas and the courts and jails will be less clogged. Nobody is  not using pot because it is illegal and the minute it is legal is going to run out and buy some. I know personally I would use it right now if I so desired without a care about the law. When a law is stupid people tend to give it very little regard. Pot never should have been made illegal and anyone that thinks it should be then should also feel liquor and beer should also be outlawed. I do not drink or smoke and it has nothing to do with any laws, it is simply because I prefer not to.

5 hours ago, Boered said:

What exactly are you worried about. Do you actually think anyone gives a shit pot is now illegal? Anyone that wants it gets it right now, nothing will change other than you will have more time to enforce the law in other areas and the courts and jails will be less clogged. Nobody is  not using pot because it is illegal and the minute it is legal is going to run out and buy some. I know personally I would use it right now if I so desired without a care about the law. When a law is stupid people tend to give it very little regard. Pot never should have been made illegal and anyone that thinks it should be then should also feel liquor and beer should also be outlawed. I do not drink or smoke and it has nothing to do with any laws, it is simply because I prefer not to.

The worry stems from the increased impaired by drug driving, the increased occurrences of mental health issues in younger people, the increased presence of the black market, the 67% jump in hospital ER visits..   And it's not actually legal yet.  

6 hours ago, yarddawg said:

1 drink, the cop had a conversation with her before he made her blow and he couldn't even give her the actual number that she blew? It's not right man, that's my opinion..............we need more common sense! I don't even believe that she could blow a warning with 1 glass of wine??? Do things right, they get a DD and she gets screwed!

There is no actual number once you exceed the. 05 mark.  Just shows a W or an F if you are above .08.  If she blew a warn while truly only having 1 glass, she's either about 95lbs or it was one huge glass.  

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

There is no actual number once you exceed the. 05 mark.  Just shows a W or an F if you are above .08.  If she blew a warn while truly only having 1 glass, she's either about 95lbs or it was one huge glass.  

The wife is about 100lbs give or take.  If she had a glass of wine she would not be able to walk a straight line or be functional to operate a car regardless of what her bol indicated.  Lol. 

59 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The wife is about 100lbs give or take.  If she had a glass of wine she would not be able to walk a straight line or be functional to operate a car regardless of what her bol indicated.  Lol. 

So ,,,, you give her a glass at nite time ..... 

boing chicka boing boing ....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, odot1 said:

Lmfao!  You sound like Zoso!!  If there was no driving then there can be no demand or licence suspension.  A driver's licence is not a Constitutional right. It's is loaned to you by the province based on their rules and regulations. 

He is Zoso... just using a new name.

• Like 2

I get Zoso's frustration, and a lot of unconstitutional legislation has been passed in this regard.  But the cops don't make the laws. 

We'd be better off challenging certain issues legally, taking it up with our MPs, etc. 

• Like 2

Stunting charge, burns my behind something fierce. Not the fact it exists (althought did we not already have charges for speeding or dangerous driving??), it's the fact you've had a sentence carried out upon you (seizure of vehicle and lic suspension) before you've even appeared before a judge. Further, if charges against you should be later dismissed, you've been suspended n out cost of tow, storage and likely taxi's to get around while yer wheels were impounded.

26 minutes ago, ZRSledhead said:

Stunting charge, burns my behind something fierce. Not the fact it exists (althought did we not already have charges for speeding or dangerous driving??), it's the fact you've had a sentence carried out upon you (seizure of vehicle and lic suspension) before you've even appeared before a judge. Further, if charges against you should be later dismissed, you've been suspended n out cost of tow, storage and likely taxi's to get around while yer wheels were impounded.

Take it up w/ Wynnebag. Mind you since it probably doesn't infringe on the rights of the LGBT community, she couldn't give a rip.

• Like 1