stupid move

some colleges in NY are offering free tuition to families making under $125K. so at the end of the day....

• taxes will go up to cover the cost of this
  • every tom, dick, and harry will go to school for something to do, flooding the job markets, and devaluating the worth of the degrees
  • families with more income get jipped

the same damn reasons I didn't like Bernie's ideas on free education. do other things to make it easier or more affordable, take the "free" out of it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

some colleges in NY are offering free tuition to families making under $125K. so at the end of the day....

• every tom, dick, and harry will go to school for something to do, flooding the job markets, and devaluating the worth of the degrees

the same damn reasons I didn't like Bernie's ideas on free education. do other things to make it easier or more affordable, take the "free" out of it.

Make the students/parents have some skin in the game.

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

Make the students/parents have some skin in the game.

agreed. these students should also be forced to do a little something for the state during, or after, they graduate. completely free is complete bullshit. if any degrees "cheapen", hopefully it's just the ones offering them.

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

I dunno. They must stay in NY state for the same amount of years they got their free education if not the debt is written as a student loan. This is key for the state down the road to attract businesses and jobs. This will also boost real estate sales as student debt is eliminated.

You have to think long term on this.

1 hour ago, Snoslinger said:

agreed. these students should also be forced to do a little something for the state during, or after, they graduate. completely free is complete bullshit. if any degrees "cheapen", hopefully it's just the ones offering them.

They do

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

I'd preface it by the degree needs to be in demand.  How many more English Lit or Studio Art (or name your worthless major of choice) majors do we really need?

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

They do

If it is a free degree, what skin in the game does a student have?  

How much more will the cost to the tax and tuition payers go up once everything college related has a virtually blank check?

• Platinum Contributing Member

In 2013 Fed state and local govts spent $157 billion on higher education.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/issue-briefs/2015/06/federal-and-state-funding-of-higher-education

Around 20.5 million students attend college currently.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372

We ALREADY spend around $7600 PER FUCKING STUDENT.   The problem isn't we don't spend enough the problem is how the money is doled out.  

The answer isn't ALWAYS more money or more govt programs!   For a start fix what we already do!

Edited by Highmark

State universities are like a government business. They are super loaded with administrative overhead, they get tons of state money and tons of federal grant money for "research" and other programs which is basically corporate welfare. Just around here all of the pharmaceutical companies have research labs at all of the Universities. University of Chicago gets billions in grant money. So we are pretty much paying for it anyway. Now they have limitless funds from freed government money in "student loans" which is debt that cant be forgiven. Just another bubble...

12 minutes ago, Anler said:

State universities are like a government business. They are super loaded with administrative overhead, they get tons of state money and tons of federal grant money for "research" and other programs which is basically corporate welfare. Just around here all of the pharmaceutical companies have research labs at all of the Universities. University of Chicago gets billions in grant money. So we are pretty much paying for it anyway. Now they have limitless funds from freed government money in "student loans" which is debt that cant be forgiven. Just another bubble...

FUBAR!  Harvard's endowment fund is close to $40 billion.   At 5% interest thats a cool $2 billion a year.  Its enrollment is around 7000.   That's $285,000 per student and they still get billions from the taxpayers.  We have to be the stupidest people on the planet to allow this to go on. :lol:  

The 43-page report shows the massive amount of money flowing into not-for-profit Ivy League schools, including payments and entitlements, costing taxpayers more than $41 billion from fiscal year 2010 to fiscal year 2015.

The spending is controversial because these eight schools -- Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University and Yale University -- have enormous resources at their fingertips, including endowment funds (money raised from donors) in 2015 exceeding $119 billion. Take that total and split it up among Ivy League undergrads and it comes out to $2 million each.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/29/critics-to-ivy-leagues-taxpayer-gravy-train-needs-to-end.html

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If I had a do over it would be Harvard....or Dartmouth

My son is getting recruited to play football there.   Lets just say he doesn't quite meet the academic requirements. :lol:  

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Ok, Larry.

No really I would. The University you attend opens many doors and Ivy Leagues liken Harvard, Yalet etc open them all the way.

My nephew is a master sparky at 26 years old. Just took a managers job at MIT. Free tuition when he decides to settle down and have a family.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

This doesn't happen often but....  You're correct! :bc:

3 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

if i'm not mistaken european nations offer free education and they don't experience these issues. 

Or...call me crazy....maybe we should try and graduate high school kids somewhere under the 20th percentile in the world instead of feeding the "college machine" more millions of dollars to put out PHD candidates and Business undergrads serving me coffee at Caribou.

This "college push" has become an incredible waste of money and lives.  The new ignorant is the blessed with a college degree planning to set the world on fire.......along with the other 10 million that just graduated beside them.

"Yes, I'll take a turtle mocha large.....".

20 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

if i'm not mistaken european nations offer free education and they don't experience these issues. 

Good for them.  I still say be it education, healthcare, etc. we should have some skin in the game as the consumer of the service in question.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

Good for them.  I still say be it education, healthcare, etc. we should have some skin in the game as the consumer of the service in question.

we do ....its called fucking taxes. Stop wasting them on faggot ass bullshit like the pentagon and start spending them on things that matter

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

What are the completion rates at various universities?  Hell, even high schools.

That's a social problem, nothing to do with cost. Actually one could argue many don't even pursue higher education due to costs.