stupid move

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

That's a social problem, nothing to do with cost. Actually one could argue many don't even pursue higher education due to costs.

I feel as though we have bigger problems to tackle first before we get to free education.  The cost of education is one of those issues.

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

I feel as though we have bigger problems to tackle first before we get to free education.  The cost of education is one of those issues.

Books are outrageous. Need to break up that bullshit. 

But let's be honest, as much as we spent on the f35, which we don't need, we could've sent everyone to college for a decade or better.

2 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Books are outrageous. Need to break up that bullshit. 

But let's be honest, as much as we spent on the f35, which we don't need, we could've sent everyone to college for a decade or better.

I think government spending and priorities are a larger issue and do agree with you on that.  

Books are nuts, but so is everything else when it comes to education.  It wasn't uncommon for the wife and I to spend $2000, easy, on books each semester.  More if we couldn't find used ones.  

Then you'd get the dirty cunts who'd require you to buy the book they wrote, with receipt, and never use it in class.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I think government spending and priorities are a larger issue and do agree with you on that.  

Books are nuts, but so is everything else when it comes to education.  It wasn't uncommon for the wife and I to spend $2000, easy, on books each semester.  More if we couldn't find used ones.  

Then you'd get the dirty cunts who'd require you to buy the book they wrote, with receipt, and never use it in class.

It's a racket. I think maybe a little oversight from the people would do students some good.

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Good for them.  I still say be it education, healthcare, etc. we should have some skin in the game as the consumer of the service in question.

that's because you've been brainwashed by this crazy american culture. like america has the best way of doing shit. in some cases, like freedom of speech, america does good. yet not exploring free higher education is asinine. i'm not worried about the idiots. college and tech schools are good at weeding out the non-achievers. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 hours ago, spin_dry said:

if i'm not mistaken european nations offer free education and they don't experience these issues. 

Really, why did Germany allow a million "refugees" in to solve their blue collar labor problem?  They have a negative (-.16) growth rate right now.   Europe's natural population is basically receding.  The more education generally means less offspring.   Especially women.   Now I could care less if our population is shrinking but when our govt basically depends on it because of stupid social programs put in by FDR well then it becomes a big deal.  

pgrmap.gif

Edited by Highmark

19 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

some colleges in NY are offering free tuition to families making under $125K. so at the end of the day....

• taxes will go up to cover the cost of this
  • every tom, dick, and harry will go to school for something to do, flooding the job markets, and devaluating the worth of the degrees
  • families with more income get jipped

the same damn reasons I didn't like Bernie's ideas on free education. do other things to make it easier or more affordable, take the "free" out of it.

This already is happening when it comes to paying for college.  

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

yup,  those making 100+--250 who aren't rich by any means get fucked.  

Have you had to fill out FAFSA yet?  

When I did it, they had a box for my parents expected annual contribution to my education.  

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Have you had to fill out FAFSA yet?  

When I did it, they had a box for my parents expected annual contribution to my education.  

not till next year.  I knew my kids weren't going to get shit so i banked them 4 years of public school tuition when they were under 2. That's all they are getting from me which is roughly 20k  a year.  the rest they need to figure out with loans and hopefully for my son a little bit of scholarship money. Going to 2 schools the end of the month that are 45-50k a year so he'd need at least a 20k a yer scholarship.  

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

not till next year.  I knew my kids weren't going to get shit so i banked them 4 years of public school tuition when they were under 2. That's all they are getting from me which is roughly 20k  a year.  the rest they need to figure out with loans and hopefully for my son a little bit of scholarship money. Going to 2 schools the end of the month that are 45-50k a year so he'd need at least a 20k a yer scholarship.  

I have a ways to go, but I think I'm going to try to encourage my kid to go to a in-state school.  Even then, 4 year schools in state are damn spendy.  

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

yup,  those making 100+--250 who aren't rich by any means get fucked.  

This is just ONE place that people in that income range or higher get fucked that NOBODY likes to talk about.   Its all tax rate this and tax rate that.   Even those are higher!  

3 hours ago, Shifty said:

We need to concentrate on jobs that actually exist. Imo. The trades,cnc operators, draftsman/cad. 

We need to stop treating education as a preliminary training period to a life of wage slavery.

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

We need to stop treating education as a preliminary training period to a life of wage slavery.

Or....stop propagating it as a guarantee for future financial independence and success and those without will suffer.

Yours is good too though.

:lol: