Tesla Just Passed GM to Become Top U.S. Carmaker

Tesla Just Passed GM to Become Top U.S. Carmaker

Source: Bloomberg.com

Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc. surpassed General Motors Co. to become America’s most valuable carmaker, eclipsing a company whose well-being was once viewed as interdependent with the nation’s.

Tesla climbed as much as 3.7 percent in early Monday trading, boosting its market capitalization to $51 billion. The company was valued at about $1.7 billion more than GM as of 9:35 a.m. in New York and the two have jostled for the lead spot in subsequent trading.

The turnabout shows the extent to which investors have bought into Musk’s vision that electric vehicles will eventually rule the road. While GM has beat Tesla to market with a plug-in Chevrolet Bolt with a price and range similar to what Musk has promised for his Model 3 sedan coming later this year, the more than century-old company has failed to match the enthusiasm drummed up by its much smaller and rarely profitable U.S. peer.

“Tesla engenders optimism, freedom, defiance, and a host of other emotions that, in our view, other companies cannot replicate,” said Alexander Potter, an analyst at Piper Jaffray Cos., who upgraded the stock Monday after owning a Tesla for seven months and meeting with management. “As they scramble to catch up, we think Tesla’s competitors only make themselves appear more desperate.”

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-10/tesla-passes-gm-as-musk-s-carmaker-becomes-america-s-top-valued

I really don't get the love for the overpriced crap Tesla sells. One of my friends has one and compared to an s class the cars are about on par with a ten year old Hyundai. Love the hands free driving though. :passing:

1 hour ago, Anler said:

forklifts? Come on man...

switched em all out from gassers a few years back. When I retire we planned on buying a Hybrid but it looks like it may be a EV for run a rounds.

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

forklifts? Come on man...

Yeah... really. Electric forklifts have been around forever. I was working in a warehouse while going to school over 40 years ago and they were all Raymond electric fork trucks.

19 minutes ago, Rw06GT said:

I really don't get the love for the overpriced crap Tesla sells. One of my friends has one and compared to an s class the cars are about on par with a ten year old Hyundai. Love the hands free driving though. :passing:

We just got back from Hong Kong and they really love the Teslas over there.  I saw dozens of Teslas every day.  The Model S75 and Model S90D were the most common but there were several model X's as well.  They are a beautiful car and fare superior to any S class benz in the looks department.  As far as overall quality I can't say.  

One morning we were leaving the hotel and out front was a Porsche GT3RS, a Rolls Royce, a couple of Range Rovers, an S class Benz and several Teslas.  Without question the S class Benz was the most underwhelming car of the lot.  It almost looked out of place compared to the rest.  I realize it's a nice car but it just looks so dated compared to the other modern luxury automobiles.  

36 minutes ago, Rw06GT said:

I can see getting one in the future.

Don't comment on the vid if you don't watch it all :lol: 

37 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

switched em all out from gassers a few years back. When I retire we planned on buying a Hybrid but it looks like it may be a EV for run a rounds.

Why not support your union brothers and buy a new Volt this week?

9 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I can see getting one in the future.

Don't comment on the vid if you don't watch it all :lol: 

Someone in my neighborhood has one of those SUV looking things.  Holy fucking ugly.  I thought no way in hell is that a Tesla after seeing several Model S's in the area, which I think are good looking cars.  

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I never knew BOHICA was a union guy

IBEW for 14 years now.  I don't take you have much of a concern for fair wages and fair labor standards with the products you buy and employment history....  How is that Chinese EGO mower when you could have bought american you worthless fuck!!!!

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I have never seen 1 on the freeway or anywhere else either.

I was out in Cali a couple weeks ago and you see a lot of them there. When the cheaper one comes out you'll see more. The model S and X are very pricey.

Pretty  sure you can't buy one in Michigan.  Unless they have opened a dealership it is not allowed.

Edit: nope the state of Michigan denied them a dealer license.

Edited by Cold War

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Pretty  sure you can't buy one in Michigan.  Unless they have opened a dealership it is not allowed.

Nope not allowed to have dealerships here last I checked but I do see them from time to time. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

This is a classic MC post. Never even read past the title and posted it like he just cured cancer. Did this twice with the same article on vets. The epitome of a fucking braindead moron. 

You might hurt his feelings and be put on ignore :lol: