Traeger grills

33 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Nope, but I heard they are great.

I was going to buy one, but the wife likes cooking on propane so I got her a new Weber. 

When I grill, I use my charcoal grill

No comparison with charcoal....traeger is 100x better.

5 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Seared on all sides and edges with charcoal, finished in the Treager.  

My bbq doesnt have charcoal or brickettes...it has porcelain grills...all staimless underneath...really holds the heat.

I would avoid Traeger if you're interested in a pellet grill and plan to use it often. Rec Tec, Yoder, Green Mountain, and Memphis Grills offer much better quality. Although I guess Traeger has a new grill they're releasing this year that is improved.

4 minutes ago, Doos said:

I would avoid Traeger if you're interested in a pellet grill and plan to use it often. Rec Tec, Yoder, Green Mountain, and Memphis Grills offer much better quality. Although I guess Traeger has a new grill they're releasing this year that is improved.

better quality? How so?

8 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Seared on all sides and edges with charcoal, finished in the Treager.  

Reverse sear started in the traeger and finished on the Weber FTW.  

I have a small traeger,  it rowks fine but really could use a blanket when it's colder.  If i was buying a new one on the cheaper end prob get a Green Mountain or Rec Tec.  

Just now, Dave said:

better quality? How so?

i think the GMG is a better built grill than the newer traegers.  I would like to see if they can truly be brought up to a consistent 500 degrees as my little traeger doesn't stand a chance of that which is needed to truly make it the only grill you need.  Been looking at a wifi daniel boone.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

i think the GMG is a better built grill than the newer traegers.  I would like to see if they can truly be brought up to a consistent 500 degrees as my little traeger doesn't stand a chance of that which is needed to truly make it the only grill you need.  Been looking at a wifi daniel boone.  

What model traeger do you have?....i got the best that was available at the time.

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

better quality? How so?

Since they went the big box store route quality has really gone down hill, they've been made in China for a while now. The other grills mentioned are simply built better, with better materials. They also cost more of course.

Busted augers and heating elements are the norm.

6 minutes ago, Doos said:

Since they went the big box store route quality has really gone down hill, they've been made in China for a while now. The other grills mentioned are simply built better, with better materials. They also cost more of course.

Busted augers and heating elements are the norm.

Ah ic. :bc:

Mine was 1699.00

Check that.... wife says 1299.00

Edited by Dave

14 minutes ago, Dave said:

What model traeger do you have?....i got the best that was available at the time.

whatever the original small one was called,  bought it used still has the old 3 speed feeder not the electronic one.  I don't use it a ton so it was perfect to start prob 1x a week for 3-4 months.    

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

whatever the original small one was called,  bought it used still has the old 3 speed feeder not the electronic one.  I don't use it a ton so it was perfect to start prob 1x a week for 3-4 months.    

:bc:

Think that one is 499.95 here

• Gold Member
46 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

My gmg will stay 490-510 in the summer on gmg pelts.  Winter I get a touch more temp fluctuation.  Treager pelts are a touch more inconsistent as well

We have a traeger and its a POS. Fucking auger is always fucked up. It doesn't get up to temp worth a shit. And its a flimsy POS. 

Just my experience. I refuse to use it anymore. 

A bud has a green mountain or whatever they are called. Seems to be much better built. 

We just bought a Traeger Timberline 1300 last week which apparently is a new model for them. I'm looking forward to using it at the lake this summer. We'll take it north and assemble it in a few weeks. They definitely aren't cheap but we were able to buy direct from Traeger and saved a bunch.  

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I have a non wifi Daniel Boone. It will hit 500 easy. I have had to replace the auger once, but Gmg sent me one for free.