1st time home buyers help me

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

When interest rates go up sale prices go down.....always. When you can see a slowdown in demand (and you can) wait it out.

I could have written a term paper on why and why not but why bother on a sled forum? My opinion stands....WAIT it out

Thanks for that nugget.

16 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

When interest rates go up sale prices go down.....always. When you can see a slowdown in demand (and you can) wait it out.

I could have written a term paper on why and why not but why bother on a sled forum? My opinion stands....WAIT it out

He is in rural new york though. Just like rural Maine the crash really didn't hurt home prices in already depressed areas. If he lived in a town with a big mill that employed a lot of people locally and it closed that would be the only thing that could really help out his buying power, but I don't think that is the case here. 

11 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

really because prices rose while rates overall rose from 1993 to 1997.  I made enough to payoff my student loans with the sale of the place i bough in 94 and sold in 96 and made another 50 grand on the one i bought in 96 and sold end of 97.

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

really because prices rose while rates overall rose from 1993 to 1997.  I made enough to payoff my student loans with the sale of the place i bough in 94 and sold in 96 and made another 50 grand on the one i bought in 96 and sold end of 97.

Again what the fuck do I know.

23 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Again what the fuck do I know.

exactly glad you realized that,  i won't argue the cost to print a book of tickets for the MA state police and you don't argue about the real estate market :news:  

FTR my point is you used the word always which is not factually correct.   I am not saying we aren't going to see another widespread collapse in RE we will certainly do so at least once more in my working lifetime maybe twice as I have already worked through 2 of them.  The last 2 RE bubbles grew because of the ez financing available which is not the driver of this one which is why I am not panicking and yes I do agree that rising rates will soften appreciation and may result in pockets of decline but unless there is dramatic rate increases like the early 80's had then I don't see if being that bad and sometimes the gov learns lessons from the past and can try to keep things in control through monetary policy.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

Depends on the location. In the Toronto and surrounding area it's simply a matter of supply and demand. The demand has outstripped the supply for probably about 20 years and there aren't any signs of it slowing down any time soon. The demand STILL exceeds by far the supply. The average price of $1.21-million for detached properties sold in the GTA this past month smashed the former peak of $1.07-million set in January and climbed 32.5 per cent from a year earlier.

Would you have suggested someone simply wait out over 20 years.

We are seeing the lack of supply in Toronto driving up prices outside of the area. Barrie which is an hour north has seen prices go up significantly. For Barrie the year-to-date average price for all homes sold was $511,214, up 30.1% from 2016.

The prices you guys pay and for what you get up there is nuts. Just like it is in California 

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

exactly glad you realized that,  i won't argue the cost to print a book of tickets for the MA state police and you don't argue about the real estate market :news:  

FTR my point is you used the word always which is not factually correct.   I am not saying we aren't going to see another widespread collapse in RE we will certainly do so at least once more in my working lifetime maybe twice as I have already worked through 2 of them.  The last 2 RE bubbles grew because of the ez financing available which is not the driver of this one which is why I am not panicking and yes I do agree that rising rates will soften appreciation and may result in pockets of decline but unless there is dramatic rate increases like the early 80's had then I don't see if being that bad and sometimes the gov learns lessons from the past and can try to keep things in control through monetary policy.  

:groin::owned:

• Gold Member

After today if markets are really where they are super hot every where I will say you have to jump fast and quick.  Right now that I bought a new house and moved last month, The Wife and I spent some time getting the old house whipped into shape,  Slapping a couple $100 dollars in Sherwin Williams on interior walls, Replacing bedroom carpet with $1400 dollars in home depot special on free install promotion carpet, and paid a pro cleaning company to come in and spend the day...  Less then 24 hours later after listing went active we have 3 offers apparently I have yet to see as the agent just texted.  I was thinking an honest list price in my area for my neighborhood would have been $160K.  Agent said we would start at $165K.  After a last minute decision yesterday we said screw it and listed at 177k.  With 3 offers apparently i am just floored at what is happening in this market.  

After today I believe this market is totally fake and totally propped up to the point of this pop is going to hurt worst then the last.

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

After today if markets are really where they are super hot every where I will say you have to jump fast and quick.  Right now that I bought a new house and moved last month, The Wife and I spent some time getting the old house whipped into shape,  Slapping a couple $100 dollars in Sherwin Williams on interior walls, Replacing bedroom carpet with $1400 dollars in home depot special on free install promotion carpet, and paid a pro cleaning company to come in and spend the day...  Less then 24 hours later after listing went active we have 3 offers apparently I have yet to see as the agent just texted.  I was thinking an honest list price in my area for my neighborhood would have been $160K.  Agent said we would start at $165K.  After a last minute decision yesterday we said screw it and listed at 177k.  With 3 offers apparently i am just floored at what is happening in this market.  

After today I believe this market is totally fake and totally propped up to the point of this pop is going to hurt worst then the last.

Yup that's why I said save your cash and wait it out if a first time buyer.

post#17

Edited by Mainecat

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

it's not built on the backs of unqualified borrowers which makes me believe it won't hurt like the last one.  What would rent run in that area for that house.  Mortgage depending on taxes should be all of $1200-1300 or so with minimal down.  

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Seriously dude, the 160K homes are not going to pop the market.  People are bidding 700K over asking here.

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

it's not built on the backs of unqualified borrowers which makes me believe it won't hurt like the last one.  What would rent run in that area for that house.  Mortgage depending on taxes should be all of $1200-1300 or so with minimal down.  

1000-1100.  It was the wifes house before we met single mom special.  Taxes are about 1100 a year and insurance I think I was paying around 500 a year.  It will be the highest house price sold in the development to date by 10k.  Low house are $115k in the development.  I have done alot to the place over the years have kick as yard, heated and insulated 2 car and such but people are fricken bonkers worse then when I bought my own house in 2007.  I figure the top of our house was 165K or that is the value I would put on it....

Yay for my wife and me on this sell but it scares the fuck out of me!

The place I just bought I figure we paid around 50-60k to much for it or what I think its worth but if we didn't jump on it somebody else was right behind us.  Literally like 5 minutes behind us after we had a signed and accepted offer a better offer came into the seller.

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

1000-1100.  It was the wifes house before we met single mom special.  Taxes are about 1100 a year and insurance I think I was paying around 500 a year.  It will be the highest house price sold in the development to date by 10k.  Low house are $115k in the development.  I have done alot to the place over the years have kick as yard, heated and insulated 2 car and such but people are fricken bonkers worse then when I bought my own house in 2007.  I figure the top of our house was 165K or that is the value I would put on it....

Yay for my wife and me on this sell but it scares the fuck out of me!

The place I just bought I figure we paid around 50-60k to much for it or what I think its worth but if we didn't jump on it somebody else was right behind us.  Literally like 5 minutes behind us after we had a signed and accepted offer a better offer came into the seller.

hell taxes that low then the mortgage should be the same or less than the rent 

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Seriously dude, the 160K homes are not going to pop the market.  People are bidding 700K over asking here.

Area based/income  Its not a booming metropolis.  Our house they will over pay 20k in my opinion.  Its going to be a miracle if it appraises for what there offer is for the area.  This house was literally a 135k-140k house in 2011.  What I called the bottom of our market.

i looked at a 1500sqft brick home on sunday. it was gutted 5 years ago. new wiring/box, plaster, kitchen, baths. it's a two bedroom with a small office. beautiful neighborhood filled with character homes. this one was built in 1920. $125,000 asking. it's been sitting 100 days. 

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

We are pending!!! Info later, I don't want to jinx it!

Great news!  Good to see you decided to go against MC's advice.  Misery and loneliness are not a good route.

:lol:

Good luck!

:bc:

i bid on 4 homes before getting mine. i finally went full asking price and got it. the home still appraised $6k above my offer. playing the foreclosure game is great if you have the patience and time. i don't. market on homes between $150k and 200k is red hot. even homes down to the 125k go fast. usually there's an offer within 48 hours. i'm watch valuation really close. if it continues to rise i may be tempted to sell come next spring. 

2 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

i bid on 4 homes before getting mine. i finally went full asking price and got it. the home still appraised $6k above my offer. playing the foreclosure game is great if you have the patience and time. i don't. market on homes between $150k and 200k is red hot. even homes down to the 125k go fast. usually there's an offer within 48 hours. i'm watch valuation really close. if it continues to rise i may be tempted to sell come next spring. 

Full asking :guzzle: bidding wars are almost always over asking by as much as 20% you ignorant know nothing sack of shit :finger3: 

31 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It amazes me what decent properties you guys can get for that kind of money.  Here you wouldn't get a pot to piss in.