Rogers Vs Bell for Cell

Blackstar

• Platinum Contributing Member

I've been with Bell for over 20 years for my cell. I now have 5 smart phones on a small business plan and I'm spend on average $400/month.

Rogers has pitched me a plan that will cost me about $50 less, give me more gigs and they will buy out my Bell contracts and supply 5 new smart phones.

Also along with this I plan to ditch my  main line with Bell (its been forwarded to my cell for all of those 20 years) and dump the fax line since its rarely used any more.

What's everyone's experience with Rogers? I'm sure I won't hear any good stories. I'm most interested in service. For years all I ever heard from Rogers users was there were too many holes in the coverage. The Rogers dude says that's all fixed as Rogers and Bell share towers now. In fact he says all cell providers uses the same towers.

Jump or no jump?

I always found that i had better reception with rogers than friends with bell. with rogers, be prepared to spend 30 min minimum on a call to get something done, even a basic question will take 20 min. fucking slow customer service....blaw blaw, find the right department...wait in the cue...answer secuirity questions... sorry i cant help you...back in the cue...more secuirity questions. once you find someone, you can here them flipping pages on how to fix your issue or hear them typing on google on how to fix your issue... sometimes you just want to go off on them. then they hang up on you...

i jumped to fido for 1/2 the cost. almost the same northern reception. same shit customer service

Edited by Taillight

I would say you won't really notice a difference and both have shit customer service.  Its Bell and Telus that share the same towers.

I have Koodo (Telus) 3 phones and pay about 200 /month, unlimited calling across Canada, text, 4g data, 2g for the other two.

We also have a fax to email service (office) that does not require a physical line as some customers still fax in PO's for confirmation.

Wife is the only one who used the land line at home or I would ditch it, but is not with Bell anyways.

As AC says.. Bell and Telus share towers not Rogers, that rep is feeding you BS.  I find Rogers to have a better signal out in the fringe areas up north.  But they all have dead zones.  There is a spot in Mississauga where I take my kids swimming and my Rogers phone is pretty much dead, where Bell/Telus is almost 5 bars.  If you want to see tower locations in your area you can check this map linked below, but topography plays in to it too.  My cottage is near a Bell tower but because of the poor line of site to the towers it was pretty much a dead zone.  Also, ironically the signals used to be better with the older technology.  My 3G phone on Bell or Telus worked just fine at the cottage, once the H+ and 4G phones came out the signal immediately got worse, they don't have the same range.  I ended up switching my company's corporate account to Rogers so I could have a signal at the cottage. 

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Edited by rjd75

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I've been with Bell for over 20 years for my cell. I now have 5 smart phones on a small business plan and I'm spend on average $400/month.

Rogers has pitched me a plan that will cost me about $50 less, give me more gigs and they will buy out my Bell contracts and supply 5 new smart phones.

Also along with this I plan to ditch my  main line with Bell (its been forwarded to my cell for all of those 20 years) and dump the fax line since its rarely used any more.

What's everyone's experience with Rogers? I'm sure I won't hear any good stories. I'm most interested in service. For years all I ever heard from Rogers users was there were too many holes in the coverage. The Rogers dude says that's all fixed as Rogers and Bell share towers now. In fact he says all cell providers uses the same towers.

Jump or no jump?

I don't know whether they share towers or not. I currently have a provider that uses the Rogers network. I wasn't aware of who they used when I signed up and had I known I likely wouldn't have signed up based on past experience. Our company plan was with Rogers and coverage even in Toronto WAS questionable. I would be driving down 427 just south of the 401 with 5 bars showing. As soon as I got on the off ramp heading home it dropped to 1 or 2. If I wanted to use the cell phone at home I had to stand in the living room in the sweet spot next to the windows to be able to talk to anyone.

Having said that, that was past experience and find now I have had good coverage wherever I have gone. From Toronto west to London and Windsor. North up the 400 to Sudbury and unfortunately not beyond Oshawa when driving east. I did however fly to and have no problems in Montreal with coverage. At home I now get 2 or 3 bars even in the basement so there must have been some upgrades. I have also had good to fair reception out in the boat on Georgian Bay.

It seems as though they have improved significantly from about 5 years ago.

You mention more gig. How dependent are you on email or internet when traveling around? It seems you can save significantly by trading off data gig for phone minutes. I know a few people who have passed on having data on their phones in favour of accessing their email and internet from their home network or the free WiFi that you find in so many places like Tim's. Stop for your coffee, connect to their network for free and do your email while there. Texting tends to be unlimited and the voice minutes greater.

Edited by 02sled

We share 11 gig now. going to 13 and Rogers is cheaper to buy more.

my guys are on site, sending emails, pics, watching radar and no doubt watching vids on FB.

when the home internet goes out i'm using phone for email and my son streams netflix.

Called Bell and they have no interest in matching. 20 years but they don't care.

thanks for the replies guy. looks like I'm jumping.

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

We share 11 gig now. going to 13 and Rogers is cheaper to buy more.

my guys are on site, sending emails, pics, watching radar and no doubt watching vids on FB.

when the home internet goes out i'm using phone for email and my son streams netflix.

Called Bell and they have no interest in matching. 20 years but they don't care.

thanks for the replies guy. looks like I'm jumping.

I switched home phone from Bell to Rogers after about 25 years. When I called them to tell them what Rogers was offering the people in the call centre simply said here are our packages and the rates. Until you are actually leaving they likely don't take you seriously. When they were notified of the disconnect and that my number would be ported over to Rogers then they started calling from their retention department trying to entice me to stay. They actually were slightly better than the Rogers price now. Too little too late. They had their chance.

You could try calling Bell and asking to talk to their retention group. I just did that for my satellite radio and got 6 months for $30. They were willing to do $129 for a year which was the discounted rate. Some people are willing to pay the $192 a year it seems which is their regular rate. In 6 months I will renegotiate and use the $30 as a precedent.

You can also get plans for $65 unlimited, 4 gdata or $75 5 gig data with either Koodo or Fido.  That should be more than enough data.

If it isn't, then just install the 02 app that monitors employee usage behaviour.  It even pops up a nuisance message informing the employee that their current activity is not sanctioned.

Sorry 02.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You can also get plans for $65 unlimited, 4 gdata or $75 5 gig data with either Koodo or Fido.  That should be more than enough data.

If it isn't, then just install the 02 app that monitors employee usage behaviour.  It even pops up a nuisance message informing the employee that their current activity is not sanctioned.

Sorry 02.

:lol:I actually told the guys that it didn't make sense for them to carry two phones, one for personal and one for business. As long as they weren't making calls overseas they were good. One of the perks of the job.

True tracking of employees. Microchip your employees... then you can tell how long they spend in the washroom, away from their desk and track their movement in the building. Even know that Mike and Karen spend a lot of time together. I think it's ridiculous but I wonder how long it will be until it becomes common place.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/swedish-company-epicenter-implants-microchips-into-employees/news-story/5c48700ebb54262ae389db085593ab12

Edited by 02sled

• 2 weeks later...

If you do not get into remote areas, jump....which you likely have by now anyways.

Both are always improving and expanding their networks, by Bell traditionally use to have broader coverage in remote or rural areas.

Last time we were in QC, I had Rogers and my brother had Bell.....I had next to no coverage most places where he still did.

Besides, Bell will offer you the same in another 1 or 2 years....free phones, better rates & pay the Rogers contract penalty to jump ship.

Edited by Stoney

• 3 weeks later...

I jumped to Rogers. Did the change over on Thursday.

When the numbers transferred, Bell was on the phone asking what was going on. What a joke.

But, Bell is just fucking crooked. We call the cancel the landlines as we won't need them any more.

"You are under a 3 year contract" they say.

"Since when?" I say.

"Since 2010. Christine agreed to this and we have a recording." They say.

" So you have a recording of my Ex-wife (of 16 years) agreeing to a 3 year contract 7 years ago? And this somehow makes me still under contract 4 years after it expired." I say.

"Well maybe its someone else but Yes, its an automatic renewing contract with a new rate each 3 years. We send you a notice before it renews. You have to call us on the one cancellation day or the penalty is $500/line." They say.

"LOL, so I've never seen this notice. When did you send it last?"  I say.

"In Dec 2015. Its on page 5, paragraph 3 of your regular monthly bill." They say.

"Well cancel the line and send what ever bill you want cause you'll have to haul me to c ourt for that.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I jumped to Rogers. Did the change over on Thursday.

When the numbers transferred, Bell was on the phone asking what was going on. What a joke.

But, Bell is just fucking crooked. We call the cancel the landlines as we won't need them any more.

"You are under a 3 year contract" they say.

"Since when?" I say.

"Since 2010. Christine agreed to this and we have a recording." They say.

" So you have a recording of my Ex-wife (of 16 years) agreeing to a 3 year contract 7 years ago? And this somehow makes me still under contract 4 years after it expired." I say.

"Well maybe its someone else but Yes, its an automatic renewing contract with a new rate each 3 years. We send you a notice before it renews. You have to call us on the one cancellation day or the penalty is $500/line." They say.

"LOL, so I've never seen this notice. When did you send it last?"  I say.

"In Dec 2015. Its on page 5, paragraph 3 of your regular monthly bill." They say.

"Well cancel the line and send what ever bill you want cause you'll have to haul me to c ourt for that.

Typical Bell... When I moved the home phone from Bell to Rogers, Bell tried similar tactics. They also tried offering discount rates to get me to stay. Too little too late. They should have given me those rates long before. There would also be a disconnect fee, a cancellation penalty and a bunch of other charges. They bill a month in advance. They expected me to pay for the month I wouldn't be using their service, all their misc. fees and then they would send me what they decided I was entitled to as a refund if they decided I was. I calculated the daily rate and paid what I owed while they threatened to send it to collections.

Then we got into the fun part.

Our neighbourhood the Bell line runs from a pole, through the air to your house. I told them to come and get their line off of my house since I had no need for it anymore. They tried telling me they were going to leave it there for when I changed my mind. Told them I wouldn't be changing my mind, get it off my house in the next 5 business days or I would do it for them. They said I can't do that and that they would be charging me damages if I did. Once again. 5 business days from now at 4:00 PM I will be cutting the cable to my house, coiling it up and hanging it on the pole at the back corner of my yard. They were there 2 days later.

They still operate with the mentality that they have a monopoly.