*** OFFICIAL ONTARIO BOATING THREAD ***

Puzzleboy

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

Anyone watch this sell on Barrett-Jackson tonight? Seemed like a lot of boat for $45,000.

I'm not sure what these normally sell for or how many actually come up for sale but it must cost a ton of money more than that to restore to this condition.

image.thumb.png.eb6fc3bdb32fe0ef0d1cda8f16e26808.png

Lot #827   1927 DITCHBURN 21-FOOT GENTLEMAN'S RACER

Built by Ditchburn Boats of Lake Muskoka, Ontario, the "Malolo," meaning "flying fish" in Hawaiian, was originally custom-crafted in 1927. From the luxurious yellow pleated leather seats to the restored Gray Fireball racing engine, this boat is stunning. Most of the hull planks are single-run from front to back and fitted very well. Modern amenities including an under seat heater, electrical panel, radio and bilge pumps are all hidden behind the beautiful woodwork. Ditchburn boats were known as the "Rolls Royce of Boats" at the time and were considered to be one of the premier speedboat and yacht builders in the world. This classic Ditchburn was restored in 2006 to a very high standard and includes a custom Atwood tandem axle trailer.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1927-DITCHBURN-21-FOOT-GENTLEMANS-RACER-BOAT-215108

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Anyone watch this sell on Barrett-Jackson tonight? Seemed like a lot of boat for $45,000.

I'm not sure what these normally sell for or how many actually come up for sale but it must cost a ton of money more than that to restore to this condition.

Built by Ditchburn Boats of Lake Muskoka, Ontario, the "Malolo," meaning "flying fish" in Hawaiian, was originally custom-crafted in 1927. From the luxurious yellow pleated leather seats to the restored Gray Fireball racing engine, this boat is stunning. Most of the hull planks are single-run from front to back and fitted very well. Modern amenities including an under seat heater, electrical panel, radio and bilge pumps are all hidden behind the beautiful woodwork. Ditchburn boats were known as the "Rolls Royce of Boats" at the time and were considered to be one of the premier speedboat and yacht builders in the world. This classic Ditchburn was restored in 2006 to a very high standard and includes a custom Atwood tandem axle trailer.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1927-DITCHBURN-21-FOOT-GENTLEMANS-RACER-BOAT-215108

pretty decent price. Its the big ones. 30 footers that go for several hundred grand 

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That's about $56,000 CDN though...

We went to the boat show Wed. Lots of very pricey toys. The 59' Sea Ray was only $2899.00 bi-weekly payments but I don't recall for how many years. Then there was the 51' Carver that was unfortunately sold. I was all set to buy it. I knew pontoons were getting pricey but.... I thought I had seen it all when we came across the $122,000.00 pontoon until we came to the $277,000.00 pontoon that was already sold. Lots of people with lots of money. Oh and of course the guy who bought the $4500 canoe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

We went to the boat show Wed. Lots of very pricey toys. The 59' Sea Ray was only $2899.00 bi-weekly payments but I don't recall for how many years. Then there was the 51' Carver that was unfortunately sold. I was all set to buy it. I knew pontoons were getting pricey but.... I thought I had seen it all when we came across the $122,000.00 pontoon until we came to the $277,000.00 pontoon that was already sold. Lots of people with lots of money. Oh and of course the guy who bought the $4500 canoe.

Was there on Sunday...  the second day open to public.  That Carver was already sold.  The big SeaRays were both sold as well. Talked to my buddy at Radioworld booth.... they hit 6 figures the first day!!!   I'm in the wrong line of work...

I've never been to the boat show, where they didn't have sold tags on a lot of the pricey stuff.  I'm pretty sure some of it is bogus, to hide a very tough industry/market.  Not saying they all are, but some.  Obviously, people with coin DO buy these boats. 

Just not sure they do it at the boat show, especially on purchases of that magnitude.  :) 

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

Was there on Sunday...  the second day open to public.  That Carver was already sold.  The big SeaRays were both sold as well. Talked to my buddy at Radioworld booth.... they hit 6 figures the first day!!!   I'm in the wrong line of work...

And here I was thinking it was you that bought the Carver....

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I've never been to the boat show, where they didn't have sold tags on a lot of the pricey stuff.  I'm pretty sure some of it is bogus, to hide a very tough industry/market.  Not saying they all are, but some.  Obviously, people with coin DO buy these boats. 

Just not sure they do it at the boat show, especially on purchases of that magnitude.  :) 

I've had a few dealers tell me that they do 70-75% of their annual boat sales at the boat show which seems to make sense. You can compare and kick the tires of what you're interested in all in one spot without having to travel all around the country. The Pride Marine big Sea Rays are apparently put in the water at Bay Port in Midland. I have a couple of friends that work there and they tell me most of all those big cruisers are typically sold very quickly at the show each year. They tell me the buyers want a full season out of their purchase and buying early is the way to do it.

• Haha 1

Could be, I just figure if you're gonna drop 2 million on a boat, you don't really need a boat show to whet your appetite.  Plus, you'd think a fair bit of research would go into it. 

And they surely wouldn't want to start making deposits/payments on it any sooner than necessary. 

Just now, 02sled said:

And here I was thinking it was you that bought the Carver....

I've had a few dealers tell me that they do 70-75% of their annual boat sales at the boat show which seems to make sense. You can compare and kick the tires of what you're interested in all in one spot without having to travel all around the country. The Pride Marine big Sea Rays are apparently put in the water at Bay Port in Midland. I have a couple of friends that work there and they tell me most of all those big cruisers are typically sold very quickly at the show each year. They tell me the buyers want a full season out of their purchase and buying early is the way to do it.

6 hours ago, 02sled said:

That's about $56,000 CDN though...

Closer to $65000 CDN. 10% bidders fee and Barrett is offering shit for a Canadian dollar.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Closer to $65000 CDN. 10% bidders fee and Barrett is offering shit for a Canadian dollar.

forgot about the bidders fee... auctions in general seem to do pretty well. The seller pays a fee to the auction and the buyer pays a fee to the auction as well. For North Toronto auctions for a vehicle sale.

For “absolute sale,” the seller pays a $71.50 auction fee.

For “protected price,” the seller pays a $200 fee (whether or not sold), which includes an appraisal. As noted, any excess over the “protected price” is split evenly between the auction house and the seller.

At the auction, might not be the best place to exchange your funds....

38 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

At the auction, might not be the best place to exchange your funds....

Meh, don't worry, your bank will rape you too. I paid $1.28 for an American buck yesterday. They need their 3% you know.

I never go to a bank for any large amounts (over a few grand).  I go on KanTor's (kantor.ca) website, look at their current rate, and ask if RBC will match it.  They won't typically, but they'll come close. Then I either convert, or just withdraw the cash. 

If the difference is only $20 or so on the total, hardly worth driving around.  But I converted $7000 USD last winter, and it was around $56 in my favour to drive a few blocks to KanTor.  If you were buying a truck or something, you'd save hundreds.  Today they're at $1.2635  if you're buying U.S. funds, and our dollar is down a half cent today..... so you're paying the bank another 2-2.5% roughly.  Fuck them. 

That's just the one I use, there are lots of them around.  Their business is finding that middle ground between the bank's "best" rate, and the market rate. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

12 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I never go to a bank for any large amounts (over a few grand).  I go on KanTor's (kantor.ca) website, look at their current rate, and ask if RBC will match it.  They won't typically, but they'll come close. Then I either convert, or just withdraw the cash. 

If the difference is only $20 or so on the total, hardly worth driving around.  But I converted $7000 USD last winter, and it was around $56 in my favour to drive a few blocks to KanTor.  If you were buying a truck or something, you'd save hundreds.  Today they're at $1.2635  if you're buying U.S. funds, and our dollar is down a half cent today..... so you're paying the bank another 2-2.5% roughly.  Fuck them. 

That's just the one I use, there are lots of them around.  Their business is finding that middle ground between the bank's "best" rate, and the market rate. 

That looks pretty good for buying us.

We get a great exchange rate however it is converting the other way from us to cad and the more you convert the better the rate.  

19 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Manufacturers need to show to sell.  manufacturer may be cutting someone a deal to get customer to allow use of preordered boat in the show.  Manufacturer paying freight bill?  Or reduced pricing?

Also depends how many they build and stock each year.  How many $2 million dollar boats are sold every year in Canada?  

Stocking equipment is not cheap. And Shows are not cheap to exhibit at.  To bring a boat from USA Any boat imported across the border requires GST paid.  You get taxes back but it’s still tying up cash flow.

Oversized load freight bills are big too.  Maybe $25,000?  Plus show fees for unloading.

Show fees.  Booth space for a 50 foot boat would probably easily cost $25,000 or more. 

A lot of costs add up.

The bill to show a $2million boat is probably close to $250,000.  You better sell it quickly.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 9:44 AM, kragar said:

The tender for the 330 Sea Ray.  Not sure how I am going to attach it to the swim platform though

25talonside.jpeg

oh me like!

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 3:31 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Could be, I just figure if you're gonna drop 2 million on a boat, you don't really need a boat show to whet your appetite.  Plus, you'd think a fair bit of research would go into it. 

And they surely wouldn't want to start making deposits/payments on it any sooner than necessary. 

nope. Boat sales are bad all over even apparently in Florida where the retrofit market is booming

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 7:30 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

That looks pretty good for buying us.

We get a great exchange rate however it is converting the other way from us to cad and the more you convert the better the rate.  

I'm opening a USD account in Florida in march so I can avoid that crap.