*** OFFICIAL ONTARIO BOATING THREAD ***

Puzzleboy

454 Mag.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:32 AM, Renegade X said:

Thanks I saw that. Old guy driving it in the pic right?   I'm catching a lot of flack for buying non kid friendly toys, thinking now maybe get a cruiser instead..lol.  Some nice boats out there for not bad money.  1999 Sea Ray Sundancer for 35 k seems pretty good to me.  

Nice boat Puzzler.  That have a 496 in it? I was in a sweet 38 fountain last weekend doing 94 mph across the lake..Bad ass

This year has been the least amount I have used my boat since purchasing it back in August 2006. Shitty weather is to blame, mostly. I put 5 Gals in it in July, when I was finally able to pull it out, and I haven't added a drop since. Was thinking about pulling it this week-end but will likely be a couple more yet due to being busy.

My buds boat ran 108 this year on GPS. It was on a new 4 blade prop, after he lost a fin just after running 100 mph on his 3 blade chopper prop. (lucky him!)

IMG_0799 (Large).JPG

IMG_1479 (Large).JPG

We haven't gone through a full tank of fuel yet this season. It's left the dock about 7 or 8 times all summer and my wife has been out twice thanks to the lousy weather. I have had more than my share of numb hands cleaning the hull in late September and will likely pull it out of the water the latter part of next week to clean the bottom. I'll leave it on the trailer and launch if I want to go out after that. Hopefully the sled season will be a good one. Last year sure wasn't.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Just read that.  Was shocked at the low numbers!!  I think they miss stepped when they made the dancer into a sedan/coupe style and no longer a traditional express cruiser..  Then priced it out of reach of higher end of middle class families.  

1 minute ago, odot1 said:

Just read that.  Was shocked at the low numbers!!  I think they miss stepped when they made the dancer into a sedan/coupe style and no longer a traditional express cruiser..  Then priced it out of reach of higher end of middle class families.  

Whats shocking is someone actually paid 425 million for Bayliner.

• Haha 1

Rough business, and follows economic cycles.  It would be much quicker to talk about boat companies that HAVEN'T gone out of business.  :)

Say what you want about Bayliners...... not counting PWCs, they sold more boats than anybody. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Rough business, and follows economic cycles.  It would be much quicker to talk about boat companies that HAVEN'T gone out of business.  :)

Say what you want about Bayliners...... not counting PWCs, they sold more boats than anybody. 

Kinda like the K-car of the boating world!!!

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 12/7/2017 at 3:49 AM, Puzzleboy said:

I'm not a boater but that's an interesting read. Shocking how the numbers have gone in that industry.

There have been quite a few dealers disappear over the last few years as well. Even some of the big ones. Crates comes to mind. Then there were a couple that got caught by their finance company. Selling boats and not paying GE Capital who is financing the inventory for the boats you sell got some shut down. Others have done it with snowmobile, seadoo and ATV inventory as well.  Sell the product, reseal the crate and put it back out in the yard empty to make it look like you still have the inventory.

9 hours ago, 02sled said:

There have been quite a few dealers disappear over the last few years as well. Even some of the big ones. Crates comes to mind. Then there were a couple that got caught by their finance company. Selling boats and not paying GE Capital who is financing the inventory for the boats you sell got some shut down. Others have done it with snowmobile, seadoo and ATV inventory as well.  Sell the product, reseal the crate and put it back out in the yard empty to make it look like you still have the inventory.

Guess I will never understand why guys who have been in the business for decades could ever get put out by their finance company and why they are not self surviving. 

They got shut down by in most cases GE Capital when they did an audit of inventory to insure that their security was indeed there. I guess it comes down to mismanagement and when GE calls for the loan to be paid back, they can't. The only possible result is bankruptcy.

I heard of one situation reported by a senior manager at one of the dealers where the business owners saw the handwriting on the wall about the sustainability of the business and started drawing cash from the business for themselves using it to buy high end luxury vehicles etc. knowing their personal assets were protected.