Theft Ring Caught

revrnd

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

I beg to differ, works for some YES but not most.  Guys like RR take them for a ride until the money is gone :lol: 

Even during 2008 Most pensions gave a very good return, something most investors didn't get

These pensions as well as IPP's must guarantee a 7.5% return or the company is on the hook for the shortfall.  

That is too much of a challenge for junior achievers without taking risks. :lol:

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

check out the commuted payout in 9 years - she is still just a puppy

If interest rates are still low she can get that payout, the higher the interest rate the less you get.

Perhaps the bond yields will be negative by then.:lol:

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

These pensions as well as IPP's must guarantee a 7.5% return or the company is on the hook for the shortfall.  

That is too much of a challenge for junior achievers without taking risks. :lol:

:lol:  I guess the 50% increase in monthly premiums isn't covering shortfalls? 

Do teachers have AVC with their pensions? 

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Perhaps the bond yields will be negative by then.:lol:

Oh no doubt another planned recession is coming,  that is the beauty of collective pensions.  Similar to why millon and billionaires do okay during these recessions.

Becareful having her at home everyday isn't as good as it was when you were first married :lmao:

:lol:  I guess the 50% increase in monthly premiums isn't covering shortfalls? 

Do teachers have AVC with their pensions? 

Not that I'm aware of and wife is pretty clueless about her pension.:lol:

I believe they can make up for missed contributions but can't contribute in excess.  She has an RRSP for that.

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Not that I'm aware of and wife is pretty clueless about her pension.:lol:

I believe they can make up for missed contributions but can't contribute in excess.  She has an RRSP for that.

I asked because OMERs went to that a few years back, but all extra money is at full risk to the ROR.  Saying that, you can't get a better return anywhere.  Better than any RRSP could get you.

I find most people have no idea how their pension works.  A guy I know told me he is going to take his pension early and keep working at the same job :lol:   what a dummy.  Another guy started late in his 40's and says he will get full pension at 65 :lol:  ah dah doe ah NO HE WON'T

Oh no doubt another planned recession is coming,  that is the beauty of collective pensions.  Similar to why millon and billionaires do okay during these recessions.

Becareful having her at home everyday isn't as good as it was when you were first married :lmao:

Of course there will be another recession at some point.  For now we are looking at a pullback sometime mid next year, but really nobody knows.  As for timing the markets, forget about it as even the best can't.

Here is an article from EdgePoint Wealth that discusses that.  

https://www.edgepointwealth.com/en/Insights/Simply-Put/It-takes-two-to-time-the-market

Interesting they quoted Peter Lynch in the article.

Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves – Peter Lynch

4 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

I asked because OMERs went to that a few years back, but all extra money is at full risk to the ROR.  Saying that, you can't get a better return anywhere.  Better than any RRSP could get you.

I find most people have no idea how their pension works.  A guy I know told me he is going to take his pension early and keep working at the same job :lol:   what a dummy.  Another guy started late in his 40's and says he will get full pension at 65 :lol:  ah dah doe ah NO HE WON'T

There are plenty that will beat OMERS, but they are pretty good and you would be wise to top up as much as you could to get the full ROR.

Here is just one.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com//globe-investor/funds-and-etfs/funds/summary/?id=17968&companyName=Mawer Canadian Equity Series A

I believe you can also join the Sask Pension as it is open to everyone.  Its 30 year return (Balanced Fund) is over 8%.

https://www.saskpension.com/investments.php#returns

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There are plenty that will beat OMERS, but they are pretty good and you would be wise to top up as much as you could to get the full ROR.

Here is just one.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com//globe-investor/funds-and-etfs/funds/summary/?id=17968&companyName=Mawer Canadian Equity Series A

I believe you can also join the Sask Pension as it is open to everyone.  Its 30 year return (Balanced Fund) is over 8%.

https://www.saskpension.com/investments.php#returns

Omers was almost 11% last year, hassle free without any knowledge needed.  Can't beat that for savings and being tax deferred makes it appeal to many.

17 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Omers was almost 11% last year, hassle free without any knowledge needed.  Can't beat that for savings and being tax deferred makes it appeal to many.

Looks like its treated much like an RRSP so the value will all go to your estate/spouse unlike the db plan.  

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Looks like its treated much like an RRSP so the value will all go to your estate/spouse unlike the db plan.  

Yes he or she would get all the money and interest if you crook, or paid to the estate.

You can only withdraw 20% a year before you retire, the fifth year you can withdraw all funds (taxed of course)

71 years old like RRSPs you must transfer all funds to LIRA if locked in

So there are some rules to get this return so its not exactly like a savings account or whatever

3 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Yes he or she would get all the money and interest if you crook, or paid to the estate.

You can only withdraw 20% a year before you retire, the fifth year you can withdraw all funds (taxed of course)

71 years old like RRSPs you must transfer all funds to LIRA if locked in

So there are some rules to get this return so its not exactly like a savings account or whatever

At 71 it goes into a RIF but the holdings can be exactly the same as your RRSP.  There are min withdrawl requirements each year.