Possum Stew

Poncho

I just got home from the cottage so for dinner I decided to throw a steak on the BBQ.  Anyway, as I was BBQing I was looking out over the pool thinking about summer fun when I noticed what looked like a little creature in the pool.....I walked out to investigate and there under the water was Mr Possum, I knew he wasn't in the water for more than a day or so, but he was very dead, so I reached in (cloves on) and pulled out a nice Possum!  Beauty little guy.  Too bad, I could have saved $20.00 on the steak and cooked him.....anyway I took some pics and then pitched him over the fence for the coyotes. We have so much wildlife in my area, great to be on the forest.....not so good for Mr Possum.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 2

I've seen a couple of 'possums in Ontario. The 1 I know for sure was on Ritson Road east of Columbus. Lots of them as road kill in NC & Virginia. I was in Missouri & Arkansas last spring. I'd never seen an armadillo before. They were dead all over the place. 

Edited by revrnd

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Poncho said:

I just got home from the cottage so for dinner I decided to throw a steak on the BBQ.  Anyway, as I was BBQing I was looking out over the pool thinking about summer fun when I noticed what looked like a little creature in the pool.....I walked out to investigate and there under the water was Mr Possum, I knew he wasn't in the water for more than a day or so, but he was very dead, so I reached in (cloves on) and pulled out a nice Possum!  Beauty little guy.  Too bad, I could have saved $20.00 on the steak and cooked him.....anyway I took some pics and then pitched him over the fence for the coyotes. We have so much wildlife in my area, great to be on the forest.....not so good for Mr Possum.

You need a safety cover. No more dead rodents.

• Platinum Contributing Member
48 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Yep, I might have you install one next fall....., last year I had 6 dead baby ducks, and numerous squirrels too.....rabbit few years back as well..

Get me some dimensions and I will get you a quote.

http://covertechind.com/

Covertech's deluxe cover works well. Less light penetration so the water doesn't turn, heavier straps and springs.

I think they are called Opossum's everywhere but New Zealand, at least that is what I was told.

We should all be thankful they are around as one of their main diets are Ticks. With those little bastards breeding like crazy lately and the increase in lyme disease, these are a great to have around! 

Opossum.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Insert Jethro Bodine's possum recipe. 

LOL, I was thinking of posting a comment about sounds like they're getting into Poncho's 'ce-ment pond'.

Not exactly.

And besides, there are no hot women in snowmobiling..... they don't exist, unfortunately.  :(

6 hours ago, Garth said:

Do some sleddin' this past weekend? 

Edited by Puzzleboy

I hope that was addressed to Poncho, and not me...... would be a bit disturbing. 

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Those critters carry their young in their pouch....given the time of the year, I would think there is a greater chance you might find a dead one with babies still in them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

I hope that was addressed to Poncho, and not me...... would be a bit disturbing. 

LOL...If that is the sort of thing you are into, I agree, just at tad disturbing...might want to get that sort of behaviour looked at...

• Like 1