Textron

2 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

Move the steering post ahead 5 inches then you can stand up effortlessly and hammer thru the rough stuff.

nah , thats what the polaris is for. I did put a seat tank from a 2001 on it though. Its narrower and much more comfortable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Don't let Pierre bend your ear. Limited...

The Tiger is growing on me, I've owned a lot of lime green sleds and I am coming off a two year run on a pickle and that was preceded by a pumpkin, I'm feelin it and it's time to go traditional :bc: 

zr goon1.jpg

zr 8000.JPG

tunnel.jpg

IMG_4350.JPG

2018 8000.jpg

The Tiger is growing on me, I've owned a lot of lime green sleds and I am coming off a two year run on a pickle and that was preceded by a pumpkin, I'm feelin it and it's time to go traditional :bc: 

so u are going black with purple bumpers and stripes poss leopard seat    that is traditional and something I would get behind  

72ext650_0ll1.jpg

71ext292_sp_0k1.jpg

71kk793h_0jj4.jpg

71kc001.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

so u are going black with purple bumpers and stripes poss leopard seat    that is traditional and something I would get behind  

72ext650_0ll1.jpg

I'm done with antiques, although that 650 EXT is sweet. The 71 760 below is a blast only because of the insane racket it makes, you could be doing 40 on it and people will swear they saw you doing 100 mph, oh and it just blows oily exhaust all over your pants :lol: 

I sold that Panther a few years ago and now it's time for the 71 760 and a 75 Pantera to find another home.

IMG_0953.JPG

panther 440.jpg

I no longer own any antiques but still like the early ext/king cat /kitty cat swoosh and would like a factory through back . not in to the whole Wisconsin tuxedo thing never owned a orange cat . my cat color is the 11 limited   

32 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Can't really go wrong with either sled.:bc:

36 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I no longer own any antiques but still like the early ext/king cat /kitty cat swoosh and would like a factory through back . not in to the whole Wisconsin tuxedo thing never owned a orange cat . my cat color is the 11 limited   

If I rode in the mountains like you I would want a high visibility sled, black looks just like another rock in the snow.

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

If I rode in the mountains like you I would want a high visibility sled, black looks just like another rock in the snow.

true also bit worried about the primer grey . the white poo and cats always make think that guy has never seen a slide . 

4 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm done with antiques, although that 650 EXT is sweet. The 71 760 below is a blast only because of the insane racket it makes, you could be doing 40 on it and people will swear they saw you doing 100 mph, oh and it just blows oily exhaust all over your pants :lol: 

I sold that Panther a few years ago and now it's time for the 71 760 and a 75 Pantera to find another home.

IMG_0953.JPG

panther 440.jpg

Montana pipes!

you'd have to be fucked in the head to think that cat is on the wrong path with the partnership with Yamaha and now having a billion dollar owner. I'm just glad I'm one of the guys that's been supporting cat the last 20 years and helped make this possible. Every time some brand x guy swings a leg over his shit he should remember that cats the reason he has the shit he has one way or another.  Facts

On 2017-03-26 at 9:04 AM, f7ben said:

I probably rode more miles than you and my sled performed wonderfully all year ....what else you got

I think Reeves put 2-3k miles on this year on his new cat :bc: 

9 hours ago, Jet said:

you'd have to be fucked in the head to think that cat is on the wrong path with the partnership with Yamaha and now having a billion dollar owner. I'm just glad I'm one of the guys that's been supporting cat the last 20 years and helped make this possible. Every time some brand x guy swings a leg over his shit he should remember that cats the reason he has the shit he has one way or another.  Facts

Cat riders on new iron should thank doo for the sdi technology from 2003. 

3 minutes ago, Reevester said:

3250 total. 2800 on the 800 and 450 on the 570. Not bad for a shitty season. Appreciate the reach around bub. :bc:

Damn nice year .....I put 1400 on the axys and 400 on the ZRT

9 hours ago, Kev144 said:

Cat riders on new iron should thank doo for the sdi technology from 2003. 

yeah what ever . doo was running full blown carbs in 03 . think cat was on its 3rd gen of efi by then . oh yeah was 03 the first yr doo finely dumped the trailing arm on a part of there line up .

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

yeah what ever . doo was running full blown carbs in 03 . think cat was on its 3rd gen of efi by then . oh yeah was 03 the first yr doo finely dumped the trailing arm on a part of there line up .

whats sad was the doo carbs got way better mpg then the cat efi :lol:

Edited by f7ben

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

whats sad was the doo carbs got way better mpg then the cat efi :lol:

until they hit 1000 mi and spit a hunk of the case in to the belly pan or the crank just locked up tight . yeah great stuff

Just now, Ez ryder said:

until they hit 1000 mi and spit a hunk of the case in to the belly pan or the crank just locked up tight . yeah great stuff

the gen 3 800 was shit but the 597 and 600ho were great motors

1 minute ago, Reevester said:

Could have easily been a 5k year had it stayed consistent at the cabin. Just a fucked up winter. 

It was a shit winter ......I only rode one day in temps less than 30f .....every fucking weekend I planned was during thaws

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It was a shit winter ......I only rode one day in temps less than 30f .....every fucking weekend I planned was during thaws

That's what killed it, thaws every other fucking week. Could have been 10 fucking feet around here if it didn't melt 4 days after every good storm. 

3 minutes ago, Reevester said:

That's what killed it, thaws every other fucking week. Could have been 10 fucking feet around here if it didn't melt 4 days after every good storm. 

What pissed me off most was its tough to dial the sled in and tell whats working riding in mashed potatoes and fucking warm temps. Just a shit winter, hope next year is better

Polaris offered to Buy Cat and when the deal fell through Cat went out of business.

Textron wanted out of the snowmobile business, too. Textron president Beverly Dolan, who had been president of Polaris during its first years with Textron, told Polaris's then-president, W. Hall Wendel, Jr., to sell off the company. A deal to sell the Polaris division to Canada's Bombardier fell through, however, because of the threat of antitrust action by the U.S. Department of Justice. Liquidation was on the horizon. This opened the door for a management group leveraged buyout led by Wendel, who believed that there was a market for snowmobiles and that seasonal snowfalls would rise again. Polaris Industries was created in July 1981, and a shutdown of the Roseau plant was avoided. (Still, the company began production with just 100 workers after the buyout.) Also at this time, plant workers voted the union out and Polaris proceeded to establish a Japanese labor model of worker participation, with a crew that had firsthand knowledge of the machines and their capabilities. Times were still tough, though: the 1982 product line consisted of the 1981 model with some detail changes, and barely more than 5,000 machines were built that season. The same year as the buyout, Polaris attempted to purchase Arctic Cat. When the deal failed, Arctic Cat shut down, leaving Polaris, at least for a while, as the only American snowmobile manufacturer.

The first years following the management buyout from Textron were lean and characterized by a skeleton factory crew and tight budgets. But the Textron debt was paid off ahead of schedule and the snowmobile line was expanded and improved. The company also expanded into Canada to become more price competitive and to create a stronger dealer network. Five years after the buyout the company had reached sales of $40 million and employed 450 people. A Polaris innovation of the early 1980s was the "Snow Check" early deposit program. Polaris encouraged its dealers with incentives to make spring deposits on machines for preseason delivery. For the first time snowmobiles were built to dealer orders rather than manufacturer forecasts, which had been resulting in excess inventory. Other factors helping the industry along at the time were advancements in clothing technology, winter resorts welcoming snowmobilers on winter vacations, and new engineering on the machines producing quieter, more reliable vehicles. By 1984 there were 20 million snowmobilers in the northern snowbelt and mountain regions using the vehicles for rescue and outdoor work as well as recreational and sporting events.

Edited by XCR1250
  • Like 1