Almost Airshow season

Poncho

The Toronto one is getting pretty lame these days.  The year they had the Blue Angels was a good one, and I suspect the Snowbirds (or somebody) complained about being upstaged. Major delays too, with most of the performances.  Concorde back in the day was always nice too. 

London was good too.  Took my Dad to the Hamilton one a couple years ago to see the Mosquito for the first time.  They did a pretty good job with that show. 

On 2017-03-20 at 1:22 PM, Renegade X said:

Poncho, do you know when the show is in Trenton this year?  I'm gonna check that one out instead of the Toronto show

Edited by Puzzleboy

6 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

The Toronto one is getting pretty lame these days.  The year they had the Blue Angels was a good one, and I suspect the Snowbirds (or somebody) complained about being upstaged. Major delays too, with most of the performances.  Concorde back in the day was always nice too. 

London was good too.  Took my Dad to the Hamilton one a couple years ago to see the Mosquito for the first time.  They did a pretty good job with that show. 

There are really no great air shows in Canada anymore, after the late 80's and the numerous regulation changes made by TC the air show circuit was choked out badly.  Until you go to Reno or Duxford you haven't seen a good air show. All my good buddies and I go to Reno every year for the air races and usually in the spring to Chino, CA for that show.  Duxford is the best UK show for sure,.which we go to every other year....As for the Snowbirds comment, you couldn't be more wrong, they were not and never have been upstaged....The Snowbird are now one of the preferred jet acts in the US, the Patriots are gaining ground as well, but the Snowbirds, as of late, are a big US attraction..The Blue Angels were much better back when they had the A4's. No so good now.

Edited by Poncho

I said upstaged at the Toronto show.  Can't speak for the U.S. shows.  People still talk about it.  There was a pass every 30-60 seconds with multiple F-18s. 

When the Snowbirds were on the last couple years, there were pauses of 5 minutes or more with nothing going on.  People thought it was over, and then they would do another pass.  I'm not knocking the Snowbirds at all.  Fantastic pilots, especially with the ridiculous equipment they're using, which is no longer representative of any current training aircraft.  But to say the Snowbirds was a better display than what the Blue Angels put on 8 or so years ago...... you clearly weren't there.  :)

23 minutes ago, Poncho said:

There are really no great air shows in Canada anymore, after the late 80's and the numerous regulation changes made by TC the air show circuit was choked out badly.  Until you go to Reno or Duxford you haven't seen a good air show. All my good buddies and I go to Reno every year for the air races and usually in the spring to Chino, CA for that show.  Duxford is the best UK show for sure,.which we go to every other year....As for Snowbirds comment, you couldn't be more wrong, they were not and never have been upstaged....The Snowbird are now one of the preferred jet acts in the US, the Patriots are gaining ground as well, but the Snowbirds, as of late, are a big US attraction..The Blue Angels were much better back when they had the A4's. No so good now.

1 minute ago, Puzzleboy said:

I said upstaged at the Toronto show.  Can't speak for the U.S. shows.  People still talk about it.  There was a pass every 30-60 seconds with multiple F-18s. 

When the Snowbirds were on the last couple years, there were pauses of 5 minutes or more with nothing going on.  People thought it was over, and then they would do another pass.  I'm not knocking the Snowbirds at all.  Fantastic pilots, especially with the ridiculous equipment they're using, which is no longer representative of any current training aircraft.  But to say the Snowbirds was a better display than what the Blue Angels put on 8 or so years ago...... you clearly weren't there.  :)

Well that is the point but you are not qualified or a pilot so you would not understand.  The Snowbird piloting skill level is superior, even flying the, as you say, "ridiculous equipment". they do.  That "ridiculous equipment" takes more skill to flight then the Blue Angel aircraft.

I have never flown an F-18 or a Tudor in close formation, and neither have you. I never said that the Snowbirds weren't skilled, possibly even more so than other teams.  Or that flying old Tudors in formation was easy.  Where did I say that?  What I said was, that the Toronto performance blew away anything that the Snowbirds have done here.  Even looking at the crowd would tell you that.  And it is highly unlikely that politics did not play a part in the Angels not returning, when the crowds so visibly enjoyed them.  Just my opinion. 

Let me educate you.  These aerobatic teams are supposed to be a recruitment tool for our armed forces.  The aircraft the Snowbirds fly, are not representative of anything an aspiring aviator would ever fly should he join Canada's Air Force.  So our guys definitely need newer equipment,  and we really need it in terms of recruitment.  

But you clearly never saw the Blue Angels at the Toronto show that year, so not sure why you're arguing. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

....and you are wrong again on the first statement, I have flown along in the Tutor,..yes Snowbird and yes it is who you know...... And for that matter I have flown numerous other aircraft formations for photo sections, also flown demonstration in classic air shows and for warbirds magazine and air classic.  Actually there is a shot of me flying the photo ship in close formation for Air Classics magazine taken over Georgian Bay two years ago, I'm flying the photo ship, my brother is camera man.  There are more.....you are owned again....sad beat down...

image.jpeg

Edited by Poncho

Cool...... which close formation manoeuvres did you perform?  Post up a pic!

I've flown in a few formations myself.....nothing aerobatic though..... :(

Beautiful 195 shot.  Beautiful machine.  My dad almost bought one years ago.... probably a lot better that he didn't. He'd be a poorer man for it.... :)

What was the fuel burn on that beast?  (Don't say 200 per tank..... LoL)

I have pics on the work computer that can post later,  none on the IPad .....fuel burn on the C195 at cruise power- 19 squared is approximately 12 - 13 GPH, my 170 is 8 - 9 GPH.  That C195 is the first B model built and the Cessna demonstrator aircraft, it's a 1951. The owner allowed me to fly it left seat.  Great experience, please don't tell me you have done that too, because I will load my underpants in a split second....as Puzzle has done all and is the best at everything......:)

Edited by Poncho

Never even sat in a 195.  And have never claimed to have done it all, or be the best at anything.  If I had, the mother/daughter combo would be scratched off the ol' list. 

I just try to get by in this cruel,cruel world of ours.....

Fixing the heat in a hanger today and there was some nice warbirds in for winter storage as well as some nice jets the name on one I saw was a citation mustang ? Know nothing of planes but it was pretty cool especially looking down on them from the 60 feet up in the boom ! 

The Citation Mustang is a beauty, they are approved for single pilot operation, they are called (VLJ) very light jet.  Nice machine, my brother flew the original early model Citations with the old straight wings.  These are greatly improved.

Did you drop any tools on it?  :)

On 2017-03-22 at 9:35 PM, Gman said:

Fixing the heat in a hanger today and there was some nice warbirds in for winter storage as well as some nice jets the name on one I saw was a citation mustang ? Know nothing of planes but it was pretty cool especially looking down on them from the 60 feet up in the boom ! 

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Did you drop any tools on it?  :)

I was very careful but was very worried about that take a few hvac guy pay checks to pay for that oops !  I will take a few more pics when I am back changing one of the tubes out.