Drone clip with snowmobiles

ckf

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Pretty cool john.  What does it look like at normal speed.  That seems like it's slow down just a little

That was normal speed. The drone was only able to go 17 mph in regular mode. I was able to unlock sport mode after the sleds went by. That gets me up in to the low 40 mph range.

I just did another flight from the state beach. I think I got some good footage of sleds. I was kind of nervous because there was a small plane with skis practicing landings on the other side of the lake and it was flying low.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ckf said:

I was out flying today and caught some sleds going down the lake. I didn't have my settings right to be able to go to sport mode so I could fly faster in order to keep up with them. Hopefully I can get more clips this weekend to make a video.

John

I am about to pull the trigger on a better Drone. The Son and I have had a few of the hundo specials.. time for an upgrade!! What will $500 get Us?? looking for HD video really and pictures.. Any input would be great thanks!!

6 minutes ago, Trackstand said:

John

I am about to pull the trigger on a better Drone. The Son and I have had a few of the hundo specials.. time for an upgrade!! What will $500 get Us?? looking for HD video really and pictures.. Any input would be great thanks!!

3 minutes ago, Trackstand said:

Hey Mike,

I'd suggest spending a little more. He's why, The DJI standard uses wifi for the connection between the controller and the drone. The range sucks compared to the Lightbridge connection of the Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Pro, Phantom 4. A lot of people on the drone forum that buy the standard get frustrated and sell it to buy something better. If I was looking to get something to start with without spending much I would consider getting something like this refurbished DJI Phantom 3 Pro. It's a great drone for $700. It gives you the lightbridge connection and 4k video. In an open area like a lake or something without obstructions in your line of sight, you can get 3 miles range.

Check it out https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Professional-Refurbished-Official/dp/B01M1577RE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1489878909&sr=1-4&keywords=dji+phantom+3+pro&linkCode=ll1&tag=nekwx-20&linkId=8b1a06159eb1736a98bb3f1f95bf3204

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

Hey Mike,

I'd suggest spending a little more. He's why, The DJI standard uses wifi for the connection between the controller and the drone. The range sucks compared to the Lightbridge connection of the Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 3 Pro, Phantom 4. A lot of people on the drone forum that buy the standard get frustrated and sell it to buy something better. If I was looking to get something to start with without spending much I would consider getting something like this refurbished DJI Phantom 3 Pro. It's a great drone for $700. It gives you the lightbridge connection and 4k video. In an open area like a lake or something without obstructions in your line of sight, you can get 3 miles range.

Check it out https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Professional-Refurbished-Official/dp/B01M1577RE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1489878909&sr=1-4&keywords=dji+phantom+3+pro&linkCode=ll1&tag=nekwx-20&linkId=8b1a06159eb1736a98bb3f1f95bf3204

LOL Thats how it always goes!!! Spend just alittle more!!! I am just worried as I am not a real tech geek.. might be far too much setup and work to fly? some say all that extra stuff is a waste others like it!! just unsure...

2 minutes ago, Trackstand said:

LOL Thats how it always goes!!! Spend just alittle more!!! I am just worried as I am not a real tech geek.. might be far too much setup and work to fly? some say all that extra stuff is a waste others like it!! just unsure...

they are very easy to setup and fly. trust me on this one Mike, it truly is worth it for the range. the wifi gets frustrating when you loose the video feed to your phone or tablet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

That is super cool.  How far away from you is the drone at the furthest point.  Sure is smooth picture quality.  

Maybe a little over a 1/4 mile at the furthest. I think you can see me parked to the left as the groomer approaches the road crossing.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff. I can see us getting to a point where every snowmobile club will have one of those for checking their trails.

It would also be a great way for law enforcement to catch sledders riding on the wrong side of the trails, especially around sharp corners, or guys going off trail. LOL

53 minutes ago, ckf said:

Here's a quick edit using some of the sled and groomer footage from yesterday. Let me know what you guys think.

Holly crap is that a nice video.. that one shot shows you backing out really fast??? What are You using?/:bc:

10 minutes ago, Trackstand said:

Holly crap is that a nice video.. that one shot shows you backing out really fast??? What are You using?/:bc:

Thanks Mike. I'm using a DJI Phantom 4 https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dji+phantom+4&sprefix=dji+,aps,613&crid=3DEKFK6HNOS3N&linkCode=ll2&tag=nekwx-20&linkId=fd77e5a24afed4bfcc438a61c0b75b10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The state snowmobile association here in Vermont, VAST, saw my videos and contacted me about helping them put together a snowmobile video. I talked to Rob and we are going to work together on the project. The weather doesn't look to good for this weekend, but if things change VAST is going to bring some sleds up to Rob's neck of the woods this weekend to do some filming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

The state snowmobile association here in Vermont, VAST, saw my videos and contacted me about helping them put together a snowmobile video. I talked to Rob and we are going to work together on the project. The weather doesn't look to good for this weekend, but if things change VAST is going to bring some sleds up to Rob's neck of the woods this weekend to do some filming. 

:bc: 

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Saaaweet!

1 minute ago, Dave said:

Saaaweet!

I'm super excited about it. This works out great because Rob and I have recently been talking about collaborating on some sort of project. If we can't do it this weekend it may have to wait until next year.

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I'm super excited about it. This works out great because Rob and I have recently been talking about collaborating on some sort of project. If we can't do it this weekend it may have to wait until next year.

Git r done! :bc:

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

Git r done! :bc:

It all depends on the weather. They would like to do something when it is bright and sunny. The reason to do it near Rob's is because he still has 42" of snow at his snow stake because he lives at an elevation of 2200'.

• Like 1