Septic Problems

gtserider

Anyone have experience with a frozen septic bed? The frost has gone deeper last night than it was all year. I have been trying to force hot water in with limited success. But 40 gallons doesn't last long. I think my solution is to pump effluent into the bush.The pump chamber is on the exit side of the tank and the water is just a little worse than grey water.I could also pump into an unused underground gas tank but concerned about pump out.It was emptied but still could have residue.I think I'm fubared for the near future.

14 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Anyone have experience with a frozen septic bed? The frost has gone deeper last night than it was all year. I have been trying to force hot water in with limited success. But 40 gallons doesn't last long. I think my solution is to pump effluent into the bush.The pump chamber is on the exit side of the tank and the water is just a little worse than grey water.I could also pump into an unused underground gas tank but concerned about pump out.It was emptied but still could have residue.I think I'm fubared for the near future.

When that happens here (Northern MN).  People cover their drainage fields with hay.  Lots of places sell/rent electric drain field blankets too to get it thawed out.  This is why it's important that people not ride over the drainage areas and pack the snow down. We are getting some reports of problems here too with this last cold snap after all this snow loss.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

When that happens here (Northern MN).  People cover their drainage fields with hay.  Lots of places sell/rent electric drain field blankets too to get it thawed out.  This is why it's important that people not ride over the drainage areas and pack the snow down. We are getting some reports of problems here too with this last cold snap after all this snow loss.

I was away for a few days which didn't help.I,m halfway up Georgian Bay and similar temps and snow to you.Hay is not an option around here.This Ontario, to plug in a blanket might as well do chapter what ever it is.:bashhead:

Tarp it like a tent and get a construction heater, you'll have to juggle the venting but hang a thermometer inside. Make sure the heater is drawing fresh air, not heated air from inside the tent.