California wildfire kills 2, destroys 19,000 acres

Fighting these forest fires just makes it worse in the long run.

(CNN) —Fighter fighters are battling a fast moving fatal wildfire in Southern California that has killed at least two people, officials said.

Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency Friday in Kern County, where the Erskine Fire has already torched more than 19,000 acres in the Lake Isabella area.

Nearly 100 structures have been burned to ashes, while 1,500 more are under imminent threat from the roaring flames, which have not been contained, firefighters said.

"It's normally one or two structures you hear (about), maybe a handful, but I can't even count the amount of houses around me that are burned down," resident Chadrick Kirby told CNN affiliate KGET.

As plumes of smoke cloud the sky, nearly 800 firefighters are battling the blaze in the rugged terrain, with several hundred more en route to the inferno, the Kern County Fire Department said.

The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory for the Kern County mountains and desert area until 5 a.m. (8 a.m. ET) Saturday.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, BOHICA said:

If they had Chicago style fire codes these structures wouldn't burn repeatedly in California.  Homes are always burning out there in the desert type mountains.

I know you're not Vince but you sure sound like him.:boot:

On the news yesterday they report 1.9 million acres have gone up in smoke nation wide this year compared to 1.5 million was our highest total from 2012. :o And as for Chicago all I can add is the Bears still suck!! :fuckyou:

26 minutes ago, soupkid said:

ISIS started it !!!!

You're a fucking racist!  It wasn't the people of that peaceful Islamic religion, it is the assault rifles that are to blame here. I just don't get why people cannot grasp this!!!

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

You're a fucking racist!  It wasn't the people of that peaceful Islamic religion, it is the assault rifles that are to blame here. I just don't get why people cannot grasp this!!!

I'm not racist, I hate everybody the same !!!!

I'm sure some bonehead from some fraction will step forward claiming "I did it"

some ahole did the same thing for the fort mac fire already.

• Gold Member
14 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

I know you're not Vince but you sure sound like him.:boot:

If they would build those structures out of masonry in cali they wouldnt burn...  After the big chicago fire we did away with timber cause chicago learned its lesson.  Even electical in chicago we run 400 mcm to each 120 volt residential outlet in 3 inch rigid galvenized steel conduit.