Swiss 777 Engine Change in Iqaluit

Poncho

He flew with TCA/Air Canada 1951 until 1991, in those days 60 was retirement. He then flew the Lancaster at Hamilton until 2006 retiring as the worlds oldest Lancaster pilot, he did his last solo flight in 2011 at 81.  He now flies with me.  He flew 30000 hrs and since 1948 and never bent one airplane.  Not bad I'd say....

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Poncho said:

He flew with TCA/Air Canada 1951 until 1991, in those days 60 was retirement. He then flew the Lancaster at Hamilton until 2006 retiring as the worlds oldest Lancaster pilot, he did his last solo flight in 2011 at 81.  He now flies with me.  He flew 30000 hrs and since 1948 and never bent one airplane.  Not bad I'd say....

Well good for your dad.:congrats:I'm to old and broke to take it up seriously.Any hrs I had felt good and wouldn't have taken much to get me up there. Oh well.

10 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Oh-some of flying minutes were in one of Freddy Lakers DC 10s. 10-15 min in 2nd seat and they acutely took it off auto.Glad the cargo door didn't blow off when I was flying it.

Cargo door was an issue in the early day.....fixed later.

Sioux was bad too, but that was the tail engine which suffered an uncontained fan disc failure of the tail engine, ripping out all 3 hydraulics.  The fact that anybody survived that with no flight control authority, is incredible.  The fireball footage is horrific. DC added one fuse at the back, but it nearly happened again (triple hyd failure) in 2002 on a cargo aircraft from a tire explosion. 

My comment was referencing the pylon/engine separation due to the forklift shortcut - O'Hare. #1 engine flipped up over the wing on takeoff, retracted the slats, and the left wing stalled.  Bit of a quick hell ride for those folks, right into the ground.  But hey, the "procedure" saved American a few hours of maintenance.  Nasty stuff.  At least it was quick. 

23 minutes ago, Poncho said:

One engine....Sioux City.  Yes, I know the guy who had that better idea......didn't end well.

ohare.jpg

Edited by Puzzleboy

On March 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Poncho said:

:bc: to your Dad 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎12 at 4:12 PM, Poncho said:

That's awesome. I love the Lanc it always flies over my house. I would kill for a ride.

My boy is doing flight school now and is going to college to become a pilot. I am making sure he knows his way around engines and mechanical issues. I don't want him stranded on a lake in Northern Ontario not knowing which side of a box wrench to use...........

They did spins yesterday and my wife is not happy about that at all.

Edited by Usedtoskidoo

He wants to go to Sault. They have the Zlin trainers, better than a 172.  Confed is second.   he wants to fly in the north first. 

Spins were good he said but his door kept popping open during the spin. Didn't tell the wife that. 

Edited by Usedtoskidoo

The Sault used to have a requirement for 20/20 vision (probably against the law now - discrimination).  Look into it though if it's an issue. 

Has he done the entrance exam though?  If not, have him brush up on his math.  Ratios/conversions, simple formulae, and fractions IIRC.... nothing tricky like Calculus, etc.  I only did the Con exam.  Exam was pretty easy, but high school marks were just as important. 

Con used to get you float endorsed.  And the trouble with Seneca, was that you didn't fly in the first year.  Of course, that could all be different now. 

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

The Sault used to have a requirement for 20/20 vision (probably against the law now - discrimination).  Look into it though if it's an issue. 

Has he done the entrance exam though?  If not, have him brush up on his math.  Ratios/conversions, simple formulae, and fractions IIRC.... nothing tricky like Calculus, etc.  I only did the Con exam.  Exam was pretty easy, but high school marks were just as important. 

Con used to get you float endorsed.  And the trouble with Seneca, was that you didn't fly in the first year.  Of course, that could all be different now. 

Yes vision not an issue now. And Float is only a private thing now. Which sucks. You fly in second semester at Sault now. But that is winter is Sault ste marie. So good luck getting a flight.  

I knew the vision thing would change.  I never applied to the Sault, but my dad did call there and blast them about it (I was 17 at the time).  He asked them if he should get his MP involved, and that they were not training fighter pilots, so why the requirement?  Lol.  Maybe he helped get it changed.  :)

All the best to your son, wherever he goes.  They are typically over-subscribed courses, so tell him he's gotta work hard. 

On May 26, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Puzzleboy said:

Good for him.  Is he going to Seneca, Con, or the Sault? 

Tell the wife, spins in a trainer aren't that bad.  :)

You would have no idea.......as I recall you get dizzy on an average off ramp....in an average Corvette........You couldn't handle a spin...

11 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

thanks. He doesn't apply until next year but we travelled to the Sault to check out the campus. already. Nice place

You could do all of this through Brampton Flight Collage. I will PM you. Cheers

On 5/26/2017 at 8:21 AM, Usedtoskidoo said:

That's awesome. I love the Lanc it always flies over my house. I would kill for a ride.

My boy is doing flight school now and is going to college to become a pilot. I am making sure he knows his way around engines and mechanical issues. I don't want him stranded on a lake in Northern Ontario not knowing which side of a box wrench to use...........

They did spins yesterday and my wife is not happy about that at all.

My son is looking at Seneca but has not done flight school.

9 hours ago, Poncho said:

Include me as well.:bc:

9 hours ago, Poncho said:

Thanks I appreciate it. he does want to go away to school though so that's his first intention. I'm assuming he wants to party a bit and bang college girls.

No pm though.

28 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My son is looking at Seneca but has not done flight school.

Include me as well.:bc:

I have heard nothing good from Seneca except the Air Force comes sniffing around in year two, if that appeals to you.

Thanks Poncho. I appreciate it.

He is desperate to go away from home so I doubt that's on his radar. No pun intended but I will certainly show him and let him know.

I was talking to one fellow and he said if you can go to Florida for pilot training as its way easier to get hours.