Wow!

33 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Who's at fault?  :news:

Highway was closed....id say truckers at fault....no insurance coverage as well because hwy was closed.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Dave said:

Highway was closed....id say truckers at fault....no insurance coverage as well because hwy was closed.

Missed that part. That's crazy shit 

Edited by Skidooski

4 hours ago, Polarissledder said:

I find the insurance thing to be strange... you have coverage for going through the ice on a lake ffs.... 

Don't know about other jurisdictions but in Ontario if you're driving on a closed road your insurance is nullified if anything happens. 

7 hours ago, Polarissledder said:

I find the insurance thing to be strange... you have coverage for going through the ice on a lake ffs.... 

Not unless you're paying extra for it. When I get sled insurance they want to know if I'm travelling on a lake. Of course I say no but if I say yes they won't cover me. Same with cars.

1 hour ago, Dave said:

You do?

In Manitoba, You have coverage no matter where you operate your vehicle. 

As far as on closed roads...  : https://www.portageonline.com/local/mpi-closed-smiley-3pm

A spokesperson for Manitoba Public Insurance says it is an urban myth that Autopac coverage is void if a motorist is involved in a collision on a closed highway.

Some major highways in southern Manitoba have been closed on two separate occasions since Christmas as the result of stormy weather. But Brian Smiley says if someone chooses to venture out onto a highway that is closed, they will still have insurance, provided they have a valid Autopac policy.

Smiley says he doesn't know where the myth started, but it is something they have been hearing over the last few years. And, he doesn't know how things work in private insurance jurisdictions.

But, just because you won't lose your insurance, doesn't mean you won't still be lighter in the wallet if you decide to gamble by driving down a closed highway. According to RCMP, motorists can be ticketed. The fine is approximately $240.

The decision to close a highway is made by Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation with advisory from RCMP. It considers such factors as the number of calls for service, road conditions and visibility.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/2-trucks-plunge-through-ice-on-red-river-1.660852

Insurance will likely cover trucks

Brian Smiley, spokesman for Manitoba Public Insurance, said over-eager ice fishermen are usually behind vehicles that fall through ice.

Most of the incidents are covered by insurance, he said.

"We don't often punish for stupidity, for lack of a better word," he said.
"The vehicle owner certainly would be questioned, they would be spoken to, perhaps even a bit of a safety lecture, but at the end of the day, their truck would probably be covered."

However, there is a point where a claim might be denied, he said.

"If there's signs posted saying, 'Thin ice, don't go out,' or warning signs, and the vehicle owner continues to just ignore those signs, then there could be a very strong likelihood that that claim could be denied and the owner would be out without his truck."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/semi-hits-snowmobile-manitoba-snow-storm-1.4016324

Bob Scott says he's thankful to be alive after he was slammed into by a semi-trailer while on his snowmobile in the middle of a snow-covered southern Manitoba highway Tuesday.

"I'm fine," said the Alexander, Man., resident from the hospital in Brandon on Wednesday evening. "I have a broken arm and a broken leg and just a lot of bumps and bruises. They had to put pins and stuff into my forearm but other than that I'm fine."

The lifelong snowmobiler was out delivering fuel, food and blankets to drivers stranded on the highway by a winter storm when his snowmobile spun out into the road, he said. He didn't see the semi coming as it barrelled towards him through the blowing snow.

"We turned to go back up the other side [of the road] just to make sure everyone was still OK, and, next thing know I kind of spun out on the road and then, semi hit me," he said.

Scott said he doesn't know how long he'll be in the hospital, but he's grateful his injuries weren't fatal.

"I'm very thankful, yeah. Someone was definitely watching over me yesterday, that's for sure," he added.

In Manitoba you are covered on frozen bodies of water with a 4x4 vehicle unless it is a closed ice road.

Your insurance is null and void when traveling on closed roads and you can get a fine by the RCMP.

The snowmobiles will have insurance (if they are plated).  The semi driver was traveling WAY to fast and in reality should not have been driving since the highway was closed the night before. 

1hr and 30 min from here firefighters were combing the highways on sleds looking for people stranded. 

19 hours ago, snopro31 said:

In Manitoba you are covered on frozen bodies of water with a 4x4 vehicle unless it is a closed ice road.

Your insurance is null and void when traveling on closed roads and you can get a fine by the RCMP.

The snowmobiles will have insurance (if they are plated).  The semi driver was traveling WAY to fast and in reality should not have been driving since the highway was closed the night before. 

1hr and 30 min from here firefighters were combing the highways on sleds looking for people stranded. 

Those statements contradict themselves.... and ORV's aren't allowed to travel on roads at all. They are only allowed to cross.

In MB, you have coverage no matter how stupid you are, unless as stated, you ignore warning signs.

8 hours ago, Polarissledder said:

Those statements contradict themselves.... and ORV's aren't allowed to travel on roads at all. They are only allowed to cross.

In MB, you have coverage no matter how stupid you are, unless as stated, you ignore warning signs.

Nope. Closed road you have no coverage. 

ORV's are allowed on many roads in Manitoba.  Hell I drove my sled today on a trail that is one a maintained open road for 10km.  And its legal.