PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

18 minutes ago, 02sled said:

They still get found and the bad guy caught. There is no perfect killing. Don't you watch CSI. They do all the analysis and catch the killer all in an hour 

Didn't you watch Fargo?

Hi Sean,

Last Saturday, while we were out riding up in the Kaladar area, I had my sled  properly parked at a 3 way intersection and I could hear a couple of sleds come toward the blind intersection way to fast.  My first thought is, this isn,t going to end well. Luckily, they did manage to slam the brakes on hard at the last second and slid within a couple of feet of another guy sitting on his parked sled. Certainly gave him a hell of a scare. This near crash got me wondering. What if they would of crashed into sleds that were properly parked on the side of the trail. If the people involved are not seriously injured, I could see something like this escalating into a brawl. LOL Besides exchanging insurance info and taking a bunch of pictures, does each sledder basically take care of their own deductible, and that is it, or can you guys lay charges after the fact with enough pictures and witnesses as evidence, so the innocent parties could at least recover their deductible ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Hi Sean,

Last Saturday, while we were out riding up in the Kaladar area, I had my sled  properly parked at a 3 way intersection and I could hear a couple of sleds come toward the blind intersection way to fast.  My first thought is, this isn,t going to end well. Luckily, they did manage to slam the brakes on hard at the last second and slid within a couple of feet of another guy sitting on his parked sled. Certainly gave him a hell of a scare. This near crash got me wondering. What if they would of crashed into sleds that were properly parked on the side of the trail. If the people involved are not seriously injured, I could see something like this escalating into a brawl. LOL Besides exchanging insurance info and taking a bunch of pictures, does each sledder basically take care of their own deductible, and that is it, or can you guys lay charges after the fact with enough pictures and witnesses as evidence, so the innocent parties could at least recover their deductible ?

I will take this one Sean....Frosty if the sleds hit your parked Yamaha it's very likely you would be facing an obstruction charge....and failure to warn...Titanic Parking only.....

As for the issue, each sledder takes care of their loss......over to you Sean...lol

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Hi Sean,

Yes, I could easily see trail side brawl!!!  You have to look at it just like a collision with your car.  There is an obligation to report any collision with over $400 damage or injury.  Exchange info as would normally, definitely take pictures and the contact the police asap.  We will generate an occurrence and provide with its number for your insurance company. AS for the deductibles, again no different from a car..  and of course dependent upon the insurance company and your level of insurance.  We can lay charges after the fact based on your statement but that does mean you will have to testify in court to support this.

Duty to report accident

13. (1) Every person in charge of a motorized snow vehicle who is directly or indirectly involved in an accident shall, if the accident results in personal injuries or in damage to property apparently exceeding $400, report the accident forthwith to the nearest police officer and furnish the police officer with information in respect of,

(a) the names and addresses of the persons involved;

(b) the date and location of the occurrence; and

(c) the circumstances under which the accident occurred

2 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I will take this one Sean....Frosty if the sleds hit your parked Yamaha it's very likely you would facing an obstruction charge....and failure to warn...Titanic Parking only.....

As for the issue, each sledder takes care of their loss......over to you Sean...lol

Orrrr....  what Poncho said!!!   LMFAO!!!  On a side note...was in the Cloyne - Gunter area today.  Trails great and only a few sledders out.  Somehow still 2 trail permit charges though. 

1 minute ago, odot1 said:

Orrrr....  what Poncho said!!!   LMFAO!!!  On a side note...was in the Cloyne - Gunter area today.  Trails great and only a few sledders out.  Somehow still 2 trail permit charges though. 

Warning....I will be in Griffith this weekend, planning a ride to Cloyne and back.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys.

And for the record, my Yamaha is parked, and I,m riding a Cat Turbo, like in my Avi. LOL

How much is the no trail permit ticket ? 

We,re going to ride the trails around Metcalfe, and north eastern Ontario to-day, maybe over as far as Alexandria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

Total fine for not having trail permit is $240.  Again, a zero tolerance offence..  no trail permit = ticket every time. 

That's what my question was to the officer last Sun'. They had written 1 up already this season. Met there truck on trailer on Wed' south of Apsley.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

That's what my question was to the officer last Sun'. They had written 1 up already this season. Met there truck on trailer on Wed' south of Apsley.

Just one?  Wow... I hope that means that area is very compliant.  Our unit has written way too many this season.  Sad really, at least the money spent on the permit goes back to the trails..  The money for the fine just goes back to the provincial coffers for social programs and healthcare etc...

Edited by odot1
spelling error

36 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Just one?  Wow... I hope that means that area is very complainant.  Our unit has written way too many this season.  Sad really, at least the money spent on the permit goes back to the trails..  The money for the fine just goes back to the provincial coffers for social programs and healthcare etc...

In the fine is there the victims surcharge .........

• Like 1

So like most tickets if you go to court and plead guilty does the fine get chopped in half or less? I was in court yesterday as a witness to a traffic accident and while there watched the judge say time and time again for a red light camera. The set fine is $260 however in light of your coming forward and pleading guilty I am reducing the fine to $100.

If that is the case on the No Trail Permit as well that just reinforces what so many have said. We need a penalty with some real teeth to it. Make it a $750 fine and fewer people will take the chance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 02sled said:

So like most tickets if you go to court and plead guilty does the fine get chopped in half or less? I was in court yesterday as a witness to a traffic accident and while there watched the judge say time and time again for a red light camera. The set fine is $260 however in light of your coming forward and pleading guilty I am reducing the fine to $100.

If that is the case on the No Trail Permit as well that just reinforces what so many have said. We need a penalty with some real teeth to it. Make it a $750 fine and fewer people will take the chance. 

Too be honest, I've not yet had anyone fight the ticket.  Seems most of them take the chance on either a fine or buying the pass...  The fact that the charge does not end up on your licence abstract seems to sway them from going to court, just pay it and it goes away.

2 hours ago, odot1 said:

Too be honest, I've not yet had anyone fight the ticket.  Seems most of them take the chance on either a fine or buying the pass...  The fact that the charge does not end up on your licence abstract seems to sway them from going to court, just pay it and it goes away.

Will this ticket be 1 of the offences that go against your plate renewal?

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

Will this ticket be 1 of the offences that go against your plate renewal?

As far as plate renewal goes...its not really tickets, its unpaid fines owed to the government.  So, yes...if you fail to pay the fine you will not be able to renew your plates.

• Like 1