PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

3 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Or U-Hauls and the like.  My Dad (an old Class A license guy) goes on about those and RVs all the time.  lol

Hi Odot 1,

Can you clarify do the larger fifth wheel trailers require a modified A license?

My parents both had to get modified A for their Pick up and 35 foot fifth wheel.  This was done by RV dealer.

Odot 1 can you also verify weight limit but for comercial i think it is 10,000lbs trailer and you require your A license.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Hi Odot 1,

Can you clarify do the larger fifth wheel trailers require a modified A license?

My parents both had to get modified A for their Pick up and 35 foot fifth wheel.  This was done by RV dealer.

Odot 1 can you also verify weight limit but for comercial i think it is 10,000lbs trailer and you require your A license.

Yes to the modified A licences for the larger 5th wheels and the big RVs.   

Regular A licence:

• Any combination of truck/tractor and trailer with a Manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (MGVWR) of at least 4600 kg; and
  • A full air brake system on both the truck/tractor and trailer.

Restricted Class A licence:

• Any combination of truck/tractor and trailer with a Manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (MGVWR) of at least 4600 kg; and
  • Trailer is not equipped with air brakes.

So essentially its a bit of weight but also a separate full braking system.   

20 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Yes to the modified A licences for the larger 5th wheels and the big RVs.   

Regular A licence:

• A full air brake system on both the truck/tractor and trailer.

Restricted Class A licence:

• Trailer is not equipped with air brakes.

So essentially its a bit of weight but also a separate full braking system.   

So to acquire that license is it the same as class A as far as medical exam,re writing tests, do you have to take a road test to get this I had never heard of this class of license interested to know if the winters dont improve here I might have to buy a huge RV and trailer and head to Inuvik or Alaska for 6 months of the year,wearing different apparel  than snow birds, fur hat, bid snow pants ,sorrels,and a sun lamp.Frozen Joe

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

So to acquire that license is it the same as class A as far as medical exam,re writing tests, do you have to take a road test to get this I had never heard of this class of license interested to know if the winters dont improve here I might have to buy a huge RV and trailer and head to Inuvik or Alaska for 6 months of the year,wearing different apparel  than snow birds, fur hat, bid snow pants ,sorrels,and a sun lamp.Frozen Joe

From what I can tell, the differences are almost non-existent in the process.  The obvious difference being the vehicle used for the road test.  Still need medical, eyes, written test etc..  I've been an AMZ licence for a long time.  I didn't find the road test all that challenging, nor are the written tests.   Pulled this from MTO site;

Restricted Class A licence

What you can drive

The restricted Class A (condition R) licence is meant for drivers operating smaller truck-trailer combinations, such as a recreational, horse or utility trailer.

You can also drive:

• a car or light truck covered by a Class G licence
  • heavy trucks covered by the Class D truck licence

What you can't drive

With a restricted Class A licence, you can't:

• pull a trailer equipped with air brakes
  • drive a full-size tractor-trailer
  • drive a vehicle pulling a double trailer
  • train another driver on a vehicle that requires full Class A privileges to drive

Requirements

To apply for a restricted Class A licence (condition R), you need to:

• be at least 18 years old
  • hold a valid Ontario licence other than G1, G2, M, M1 or M2
  • pass an eye test
  • submit a medical report
  • pass a knowledge test about operating large trucks and tractor-trailers
  • pass a road test

• Thanks 1

I see in the regs Odot 1 "Drive a vehicle pulling a double trailer" I have seen this more frequently in the last couple years on the highways pickup truck with a camper trailer with a boat trailer tagging along, so is that a illegal practice or they just breezed thru under the radar as it were.Joe 

It's legal (might even be referenced earlier in this thread IIRC), but for some reason the legislation states that the tow vehicle must be a "pickup truck".  Lol.  Nobody seems to know why that is.....  I'm sure Odot can post up the piece of legislation that defines the requirements. 

I'm thinking of doing it with two sled trailers.  My dad does it with the fifth wheel and a boat trailer. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 1

Yea my original understanding of this when i asked a guy at a service centre was it was legal behind a fifth or a gooseneck but yes i did mean bumper pull "only a saying"  behind a pickup two in the rear '"that will make the girls wince".Make no mistake straight Joe

3 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

Yea my original understanding of this when i asked a guy at a service centre was it was legal behind a fifth or a gooseneck but yes i did mean bumper pull "only a saying"  behind a pickup two in the rear '"that will make the girls wince".Make no mistake straight Joe

12 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

It's legal (might even be referenced earlier in this thread IIRC), but for some reason the legislation states that the tow vehicle must be a "pickup truck".  Lol.  Nobody seems to know why that is.....  I'm sure Odot can post up the piece of legislation that defines the requirements. 

I'm thinking of doing it with two sled trailers.  My dad does it with the fifth wheel and a boat trailer. 

20 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

I see in the regs Odot 1 "Drive a vehicle pulling a double trailer" I have seen this more frequently in the last couple years on the highways pickup truck with a camper trailer with a boat trailer tagging along, so is that a illegal practice or they just breezed thru under the radar as it were.Joe 

Yes...it's legal and seems to be happening more and more frequently.  As the Puzzler said the regs reference pickup trucks only..   Never did clarification on this. The requirements aren't any different really than a single trailer.  It was discussed a little while ago in this thread.  You have to watch your overall weight and length.  I'll have to dig for the regs..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to hear the rationale, but might have to go to Queen's Park to get it.  I could see if it's a stability issue, but of course lots of light pickups don't have rear leaf springs anymore anyway. 

You would think as long as the tow rating was respected, it would be ok.  But it's right there in the legislation.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Now you gotta get off your butt, find it, and repost it!  :) 

Hard to believe it was that long ago..... sucks that we couldn't keep all that old info. 

Yeah...  I'm not even getting paid for this shit!!!!!!   Well..  other than the internal warm fuzzy feeling of helping you guys (not Zoso though..  or F7Ben)!!!

• Like 1

The double towing thing I thought or recall had something to do with the first trailer attached had to be a 5'er, than a boat or second trailer attached to the rear of the 5'er.

I honestly do not think any 1/2 ton trucks actually have the payload rating to really support the pin weight of a 5'er, so that puts you into the 3/4 & 1 ton range......but some are crazy enough to listen to the trailer and truck sales people who suggest a 1/2 ton does have the ratings....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sean, can you post up the regs for double towing, if you have them?  Would be a good read. 

So I've looked and all I can find is a reference to an MTO publication Part 6 addressing this issue.  It reads:

"Towing More Than One Vehicle

Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act.

The maximum length of any combination of vehicles is 23 m (75' 6")."

Having said that...  I can't find the actual publication any more. This was back in 2010.  I will try to get more solid and factual info for you guys...

Sean

Edited by odot1

Very much appreciated Odot1 thanks for taking the time to answer this question I have been considering this for some time as wanting to haul the fishin craft along with the utv pretty sure the ole General could pull them but although I have great respect for our law enforcement I like to keep visits not unlike the inlaws down to a minimum  preferably non existent so runnin under the radar is the order of the day.Stealth Joe 

Edited by Slow Joe
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

What are the legalities of someone flying a drone over private property?

Certainly not my area of expertise...but we did talk about this last summer at work.  Hers the regs...

• below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number

You are exempt from these rules if you are at a field or event approved by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada. 

Basically...unless you live in a rural setting you're kinda stuck ans have to venture out somewhere.  This is all "policed" by Transport Canada and they would be responsible for administer fines.  The lesser stuff can be fined up to $3000.  The major stuff...such as endangering an aircraft can get you up $25000 in fines.   AND..  beware of trespassing laws, the  new voyeurism laws etc....

12 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

Very much appreciated Odot1 thanks for taking the time to answer this question I have been considering this for some time as wanting to haul the fishin craft along with the utv pretty sure the ole General could pull them but although I have great respect for our law enforcement I like to keep visits not unlike the inlaws down to a minimum  preferably non existent so runnin under the radar is the order of the day.Stealth Joe 

Thanks for the kind words Joe.....and lmfao at the inlaw comparison!! 

Just now, revrnd said:

Thanks Sean. A chap I know was telling me about someone (he's assuming his neighbour from hell) flying their drone over his acreage checking out his gravel pit.

Gotta love neighbours!!  I've heard of guys shooting the drones down with shotguns... but if caught you're kinda screwed with firearms charges.  

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Gotta love neighbours!!  I've heard of guys shooting the drones down with shotguns... but if caught you're kinda screwed with firearms charges.  

Skeet shooting perhaps?

• Haha 1