PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

Just now, JohnnyB said:

what side of the sled is the yearly val tag supposed to be affixed. left/right as you sit. Couple long time sledders having a disagreement.

Left side as you sit.  Did I win you a beer????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, odot1 said:

Left side as you sit.  Did I win you a beer????

It's been like that since day one hasn't it? A rider in our group had it on the wrong side. He's blaming the dealer, but the newer valtag is on the wrong side, but an older 1 is on the correct side. The reason I noticed is that I was standing on the left side and the sticker was expired. 'Mike you know you still need to get a val tag?' 'Yeah, this year's is on the this side.' 

Me:

'The dealer put this year's on it...'

I don't know how the dealer would be involved since he's had the sled for a couple of years. Does he need the dealer to put his birthday sticker on for him?

Edited by revrnd
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

It's been like that since day one hasn't it? A rider in our group had them on the wrong side. He's blaming the dealer, but the newer valtag is on the wrong side, but an older 1 is on the correct side. The reason I noticed is that I was standing on the left side and the sticker was expired. 'Mike you know you still need to get a val tag?' 'Yeah, this year's is on the this side.' 

Me:

'The dealer put this year's on it...'

I don't know how the dealer would be involved since he's had the sled for a couple of years. Does he need to put his birthday sticker on for him?

Yup, as far back as I can remember. I think he may be pawning off his mistake on the dealer!  

Regardless of the law, it makes interactions with us so much quicker.  You approach me, I see your pass, numbers and Val tag all visible from my point of view I generally hold you you less than a few seconds.  Makes both of our lives easier.  

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 10/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, odot1 said:

Soooo...  This turned out to be incredibly complicated.  I finally dug up a number for OFSC (almost impossible).  I spoke to their government programs/enforcement guru.  The first most bold point he made was the OFSC has nothing to do with grooming or any sort of trail management/issue.  He further made it clear the OFSC is an "umbrella corporation" spate from the clubs.  As I dug deeper here is what I've found...brace yourselves... Some clubs still have forms of the land user permit (LUP) but this depends greatly on the individual clubs AND the MNR district in which they reside.  So for example, OFSC District 2.  The L and A Ridge Runners may have an LUP in place but the Bancroft area club may not.  What seems to be happening is that the MNR is distancing itself from any form of restricted/regulated access on Crown land.  This has an effect of reducing enforcement opportunities when it comes to keeping ATVs off trails within crown land areas.  I know that really doesn't completely answer the question on any sort of larger scale area...but it's the best I've got for now.  There is a stakeholder meeting soon..  MTO/OPP etc to discuss bringing the MSVA and the ORVA act more in line with each other and perhaps something will come from that.  Sorry guys!!!

Morning Sean

Is there any update on ATVs riding on OFSC Prescribed Trails on Crown Land during snowmobile season?

Can they be charged with trespassing?

Thanks, Dan

2 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

Morning Sean

Is there any update on ATVs riding on OFSC Prescribed Trails on Crown Land during snowmobile season?

Can they be charged with trespassing?

Thanks, Dan

Hey Dan

No real updates on this. I know the OFSC and various ATV clubs have had ongoing chats about this, but nothing solved.  In the end in depends on what the Land User Agreement dictates and who has "ownership" of the trail portion.  In an ideal world we'd like to see the ATVs stay away from groomed trails, but unless otherwise posted, there won't be any trespass charges.  I wish I had a more definitive answer for you.   

Sean

4 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Hey Dan

No real updates on this. I know the OFSC and various ATV clubs have had ongoing chats about this, but nothing solved.  In the end in depends on what the Land User Agreement dictates and who has "ownership" of the trail portion.  In an ideal world we'd like to see the ATVs stay away from groomed trails, but unless otherwise posted, there won't be any trespass charges.  I wish I had a more definitive answer for you.   

Sean

Trail permit required

2.1 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle upon a prescribed trail except under the authority of, and in accordance with, a trail permit for the motorized snow vehicle issued under subsection (2) or except on lands occupied by the owner of the motorized snow vehicle.  2000, c. 30, s. 3.

Can't this MSVA section be used against ATVs as they don't have a "trail permit" to be on the Prescribed Trail? 

I understand ATVs are not "snow vehicles". Figure there may be some wiggle room in there.

1 minute ago, yamadan700 said:

Trail permit required

2.1 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle upon a prescribed trail except under the authority of, and in accordance with, a trail permit for the motorized snow vehicle issued under subsection (2) or except on lands occupied by the owner of the motorized snow vehicle.  2000, c. 30, s. 3.

Can't this MSVA section be used against ATVs as they don't have a "trail permit" to be on the Prescribed Trail? 

I understand ATVs are not "snow vehicles". Figure there may be some wiggle room in there.

That's definitely a logical thought.  But (there's always a but) the courts don't see it that way. The prevailing view is that crown land is open to all Ontarians to use.  Trust me, we've looked at all angles we could think of, courts often disagree.  

3 minutes ago, odot1 said:

That's definitely a logical thought.  But (there's always a but) the courts don't see it that way. The prevailing view is that crown land is open to all Ontarians to use.  Trust me, we've looked at all angles we could think of, courts often disagree.  

Wow!! That's shocking in a bad way! 

We can't post "No ATVs" on Crown Land as we don't have control over it.  It appears that ATVs can run OFSC trails on Crown Land without permits and there is nothing we/you can do about it.:sad:   

So, one could technically take an off road mini excavator or a recreational bulldozer😉 out on the Crown Land trails in the summer and play around and there's not much you could do about it. 

Check out the Buckhorn club FB page as it is being discussed. I guess we were wrong.

It feels like such a waste of time and $$$ for the amount of volunteering we do, to have the base or groomed trails destroyed by ATVs. I may have to reconsider my involvement in the club.:whiteflag:

Thank you Sean for the quick replies:thumbsup:.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

We can't post "No ATVs" on Crown Land as we don't have control over it.  It appears that ATVs can run OFSC trails on Crown Land without permits and there is nothing we/you can do about it.:sad:   

So, one could technically take an off road mini excavator or a recreational bulldozer😉 out on the Crown Land trails in the summer and play around and there's not much you could do about it. 

Check out the Buckhorn club FB page as it is being discussed. I guess we were wrong.

It feels like such a waste of time and $$$ for the amount of volunteering we do, to have the base or groomed trails destroyed by ATVs. I may have to reconsider my involvement in the club.:whiteflag:

I understand the feeling. It's very frustrating. I have come across ATVs in the past deliberately chewing up the trails doing donuts etc.  I've charged them with mischief under the criminal code.  

• Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 10:00 AM, yamadan700 said:

Saw that as well and the trolls...

• Like 2