PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

1 minute ago, tinman said:

Thanks, I will let him know. And no it isn't me. 

Rrrrightttt...  asking for a friend!!!   Lol! JK I know you guys are pretty straight on here..   

Edited by odot1
  • Haha 2

Just now, tinman said:

Sorry Sean is it law that an interlock is installed after first conviction now. Read that it was after 3rd within 10 yrs.  

In all honesty, I'd have to check. Originally interlock allowed a 2yr prohibition to  become 1yr plus 1yr with interlock.  Not sure if that has changed.  Will try to get accurate answer. 

5 hours ago, odot1 said:

In all honesty, I'd have to check. Originally interlock allowed a 2yr prohibition to  become 1yr plus 1yr with interlock.  Not sure if that has changed.  Will try to get accurate answer. 

I asked further and got more info. It is his first offence. He plead guilty and got a reduced sentence with the installation of the interlock. 

Thanks for clarifying.

Some clarification needed on sled insurance,private property use only with a OFSC trail passing thru it owner of the property and offspring using the sled strictly on and within the limits of his own farm i understand that this machine would require to be registered but would it have to be insured and licensed to be legal would not the insurance that covers the farm be enough the users would be of minimum age to operate the machine.Joe

9 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

Some clarification needed on sled insurance,private property use only with a OFSC trail passing thru it owner of the property and offspring using the sled strictly on and within the limits of his own farm i understand that this machine would require to be registered but would it have to be insured and licensed to be legal would not the insurance that covers the farm be enough the users would be of minimum age to operate the machine.Joe

here's the absolute black/white answer:  your sled/bike/quad etc no need for insurance if it is owned and driven by the property owner.  It needs to be registered as well.  This proves ownership. This also extends to the helmet law.  Your property + your bike/sled = no hemelt requirement.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, odot1 said:

here's the absolute black/white answer:  your sled/bike/quad etc no need for insurance if it is owned and driven by the property owner.  It needs to be registered as well.  This proves ownership. This also extends to the helmet law.  Your property + your bike/sled = no hemelt requirement.

Sean, I thought if you say had a $20,000 SXS used on property if it was registered and you wanted theft insurance it would need to be insured. If its not insured then it falls under your homeowners insurance (as long as you let them know) just like a lawnmower/bicycle for fire and theft. Might be more of an insurance question. Just wondered why you said it "Proves Ownership". Ownership for what reason?

Edited by Algonquin Rider

1 hour ago, Algonquin Rider said:

Sean, I thought if you say had a $20,000 SXS used on property if it was registered and you wanted theft insurance it would need to be insured. If its not insured then it falls under your homeowners insurance (as long as you let them know) just like a lawnmower/bicycle for fire and theft. Might be more of an insurance question. Just wondered why you said it "Proves Ownership". Ownership for what reason?

The insurance is always up to you with your own bike/sked/etc on your own property. It's once you leave your property that you must have liability insurance. I can't speak for the insurance companies about coverage re theft.  As proof of ownership... that's how we would determine if you truly own the vehicle if we were there for some reason.  Say you had an ofsc trail on your property that you riding on and we came across you.  Your registration proves you are the owner and thus not requiring insurance.  

• Thanks 1

Sean, Can you share any more details on the apparent 195 charges laid this past weekend up in the Ottawa region on the trails?

Sounds like a big number that could see a big impact, would be great to know the breakdown.

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Sean, Can you share any more details on the apparent 195 charges laid this past weekend up in the Ottawa region on the trails?

Sounds like a big number that could see a big impact, would be great to know the breakdown.

I'll have to check.  Hadn't heard that number but have been off for a bit.  

20190212_163739.jpg

1 minute ago, odot1 said:

20190212_163739.jpg

Off again...run into a guy bigger than you :)

This is the link to the report.....would be interesting to know more about it, that seems like a big number for weekend.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-news/police-snowmobile-unit-lays-195-charges-over-weekend/wcm/71ad128a-cb27-45c2-b8a5-5f934e0a6ab6

Heal fast :bc:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Off again...run into a guy bigger than you :)

This is the link to the report.....would be interesting to know more about it, that seems like a big number for weekend.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-news/police-snowmobile-unit-lays-195-charges-over-weekend/wcm/71ad128a-cb27-45c2-b8a5-5f934e0a6ab6

Heal fast :bc:

Thanks!!  Sadly, no cool story...getting out of cruiser onto glare ice.  Fractured the scaphoid bone.  At least partner had a good laugh!  I checked the link.  That was Ottawa PD. But the article used a very old OPP sled pic...  I'm assuming they charged for anything and everything by the looks of it.  So expired insurances, fail to have registration available etc..  

6 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Thanks!!  Sadly, no cool story...getting out of cruiser onto glare ice.  Fractured the scaphoid bone.  At least partner had a good laugh!  I checked the link.  That was Ottawa PD. But the article used a very old OPP sled pic...  I'm assuming they charged for anything and everything by the looks of it.  So expired insurances, fail to have registration available etc..  

Bones are not as strong as they once were, as you age.....had a couple of dirt bike mishaps over the summer, and damn, I do not ever recall my recover taking that long before! 

That is why I was wondering about the charges, what all were they looking for and was there any grace being given..... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Bones are not as strong as they once were, as you age.....had a couple of dirt bike mishaps over the summer, and damn, I do not ever recall my recover taking that long before! 

That is why I was wondering about the charges, what all were they looking for and was there any grace being given..... 

Omg, takes FOREVER to heal now, yet so easily injured. 

Doesn't look like they were exercising much discretion but wasn't there so can't say for sure.  They get a lot of Quebec sledders there snd they, in my experience rarely have Ontario trail passes.  Could be quote a few charges there as well. 

11 hours ago, odot1 said:

20190212_163739.jpg

Sorry to see, Sean. Heal quick! :bc:

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

My daughter has epilepsy... so everything is purple :)

:thumb:

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:35 PM, odot1 said:

Shitty deal man.  I broke mine before too and it is the worst bone to break in your wrist.  I'm not sure where you live but if you need surgery PM me.  I will give you my doctors name in Sunnybrook that fixed it after a Doc in Oshawa ruined it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Shitty deal man.  I broke mine before too and it is the worst bone to break in your wrist.  I'm not sure where you live but if you need surgery PM me.  I will give you my doctors name in Sunnybrook that fixed it after a Doc in Oshawa ruined it.

Thanks!!  Visited surgeon yesterday...  seem to be on track.  Now in a splint, 6 weeks post fracture.  Begin physiotherapy tomorrow.  Also found some major arthritis in there which goes nicely with my soon to be replaced left shoulder.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

This is typical cheesy Gov't safety poster but it does spell out quite clearly the penalties for impaired/drug driving for novice/young drivers for those of you with young'uns at home.  AS always...I'm the messenger.  If you need to blast it, rant and rave please create a seperate but entertaining thread!!

Sean

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/pdfs/impaired-is-impaired-screen.pdf