PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

34 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Hey man, another question...lol.  Can my 9 year old daughter go on the back of my Harley? She can touch the foot pegs.  I seem to remember a guy in Barrie or somethin getting charged with child endangerment.   I would actually like to put her in front of me for the 1st ride to be honest, like when I was a kid.

Was that not involving a guy that was going thru a divorce & it was the soon to be ex that filed the complaint?

44 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Hey man, another question...lol.  Can my 9 year old daughter go on the back of my Harley? She can touch the foot pegs.  I seem to remember a guy in Barrie or somethin getting charged with child endangerment.   I would actually like to put her in front of me for the 1st ride to be honest, like when I was a kid.

There is no specific age limit as long as she is secure with proper helmet.  The tank could be considered "crowding the driver" by a more...umm...strict copper.   

18 hours ago, revrnd said:

Was that not involving a guy that was going thru a divorce & it was the soon to be ex that filed the complaint?

I'm not sure.

18 hours ago, odot1 said:

There is no specific age limit as long as she is secure with proper helmet.  The tank could be considered "crowding the driver" by a more...umm...strict copper.   

Ok, thanks again!  I wish my wife would "crowd the driver" once in a while haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fluffy said:

Question, does distracted driving apply to boating?   In particular, using a cell phone?

First... to clear things up. There is no actual "distracted driving" charge.  Its the fancy catch all name for using phones, eating, reading etc...  anything that removes your focus from the rd. 

Now...for the actual question. No, no such charge.  There is a careless boating offence as well as failing to keep a proper watch.  

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, odot1 said:

First... to clear things up. There is no actual "distracted driving" charge.  Its the fancy catch all name for using phones, eating, reading etc...  anything that removes your focus from the rd. 

Now...for the actual question. No, no such charge.  There is a careless boating offence as well as failing to keep a proper watch.  

oh oh

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you can answer this one?

We attended a family BBQ on the weekend.  The party was held on a relative's 100 acre property, well away from the neighbours (the neighbour was invited and attended).

At some point during the evening we noticed a drone circling the party. When it noticed that several people were pointing at it, it rose in elevation but stayed overhead. There was some talk about shooting it down, but I was able to convince them that discharging a firearm would probably result in more of a problem.

Question, what is the law concerning drones? Are they allowed to spy on you? Can they be shot down? How can you stop them from flying over head?

Thanks for this venue to ask questions.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

We attended a family BBQ on the weekend.  The party was held on a relative's 100 acre property, well away from the neighbours (the neighbour was invited and attended).

At some point during the evening we noticed a drone circling the party. When it noticed that several people were pointing at it, it rose in elevation but stayed overhead. There was some talk about shooting it down, but I was able to convince them that discharging a firearm would probably result in more of a problem.

Question, what is the law concerning drones? Are they allowed to spy on you? Can they be shot down? How can you stop them from flying over head?

How about using one of these?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

DO NOT SHOOT AT THE DRONE!!!!!!  (as tempting/fun as it would be)

You would create so many new problems for yourself.  Get as much detail as possible about it, where it came from, direction of flight etc.  Report all to local police, also Transport Canada has online reporting tools.  The base for it can't be  that far away unless it's some sort of Gov't drone, which I doubt it was.  If you're going to "shoot" at it...  try a high pressure water stream.  The potato gun idea is interesting.  But have to watch velocities so you don't enter into criminal code territory.

Sean

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html#permission

Rules for recreational drones

To fly a recreational drone (or model aircraft), you must follow the safety rules in the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft.

Review these rules before flying a drone for fun, if the drone weighs over 250 g and under 35 kg. If your drone is 250 g or less, read our tips for flying safe.

Following the safety rules helps keep people, aircraft and property safe. If you fly where you are not allowed or you break the rules below, you could be fined up to $3,000.

Fly your drone:

• below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 76 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.6 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.9 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number

You are exempt from these rules if you are at a field or event approved by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the consumption of whats called the non-alcoholic beers (Coors Edge, Budweiser Prohibition, Labatts Blue 0.5, etc) that states "<0.5 Alcohol Content" on the label, and can be purchased in various grocery stores. 

Can this be transported/consumed as any other non-alcoholic drink such as pop or Gatorade, etc when ATV'ing or boating?

17 minutes ago, Pembroke Stratos said:

I have a question about the consumption of whats called the non-alcoholic beers (Coors Edge, Budweiser Prohibition, Labatts Blue 0.5, etc) that states "<0.5 Alcohol Content" on the label, and can be purchased in various grocery stores. 

Can this be transported/consumed as any other non-alcoholic drink such as pop or Gatorade, etc when ATV'ing or boating?

Are you serious?  Its like pop and water.

22 minutes ago, Pembroke Stratos said:

Soooo...  the short answer.  Yup! Long answer, well also yup.  But just beware that you will potentially have "beer breath" which coukd result in closer inspection by an officer.  But no fear about consuming, transporting etc...  I've had a couple incidents where they claimed "near beer" and actually had the cans filled with real beer.  They laughed, we laughed, i arrested for impaired, their lawyer laughed at his newest income..   good times!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Are you serious?  Its like pop and water.

Yes I am quite serious.  Due to a medical issue I have had to give up alcohol.  I've found the Coors Edge and Labatts Blue 0.5 to be quite close to a regular light beer like Coors Light or Michelob Ultra.  When I stopped in to my local OPP detachment in Petawawa to ask, I was told that the "near beers" are treated the same as real beer, in that it cannot be consumed while driving.  I found this odd (although not surprising in Ontario with our ridiculous laws), and wanted odot1's opinion.

Edited by Pembroke Stratos

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

Soooo...  the short answer.  Yup! Long answer, well also yup.  But just beware that you will potentially have "beer breath" which coukd result in closer inspection by an officer.  But no fear about consuming, transporting etc...  I've had a couple incidents where they claimed "near beer" and actually had the cans filled with real beer.  They laughed, we laughed, i arrested for impaired, their lawyer laughed at his newest income..   good times!!

Thanks odot1!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, Blackstar said:

According to Wiki......The Government of Canada defines an alcoholic drink as "a beverage containing 1.1% or more alcohol by volume."

Curious... how many of those 0.5% would it take to get your BAC up to a level where you could be charged? Conceivably I guess it could be done?

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, 02sled said:

Curious... how many of those 0.5% would it take to get your BAC up to a level where you could be charged? Conceivably I guess it could be done?

A lot!!  It could be done, but the amount of fluid vs alcohol content would keep flushing your system along the way.  We talked about this on a breath testing course.  There are way too many variables to even make a good estimate.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sigh...  Just home from a search and back in tomorrow morning.  Sledder water skipping late last night didn't make it.  In an unrelated incident, 17yr old male fighting for life in hospital after ripping down a closed trail and hitting a closed steel gate this morning. Not a great start so far.  Ride safe guys!!  I really fkn hate knocking on doors and explaining why a loved one is not coming home.

3 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Sigh...  Just home from a search and back in tomorrow morning.  Sledder water skipping late last night didn't make it.  In an unrelated incident, 17yr old male fighting for life in hospital after ripping down a closed trail and hitting a closed steel gate this morning. Not a great start so far.  Ride safe guys!!  I really fkn hate knocking on doors and explaining why a loved one is not coming home.

wow odot1 kudos 

• Like 1