PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

14 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Thank you.

I doubt they can put in a regulation that states ball size.   Stating hitch rating makes sense.

Oh yeah...  no one is gonna tell me how small my balls are!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

It is possible that FMVSS has changed that going forward trailers that length are to be built w/ that size coupler?

My TT, a 21 footer, has the coupler welded to the 'A frame'. I cant't imagine forcing people to do a major rework on a trailer to make it compliant.

It would be like saying vehicles w/ drum brakes wouldn't be legal for highway use.

Edited by revrnd

12 hours ago, revrnd said:

It is possible that FMVSS has changed that going forward trailers that length are to be built w/ that size coupler?

My TT, a 21 footer, has the coupler welded to the 'A frame'. I cant't imagine forcing people to do a major rework on a trailer to make it compliant.

It would be like saying vehicles w/ drum brakes wouldn't be legal for highway use.

I could not find anything supporting new changes but will continue to look.  As with anything else like this, if there was a change, all previous systems would be grandfathered in.  

• Like 1

Other than an ATV must be designed to carry 2 passengers rather than an aftermarket seat, are there any specific 'standards' that an ATV must meet to be road legal in Ontario? AFAIK, as long as your paperwork is in order & you're wearing a helmet, you are good to go. Am I missing anything?

Would any officer care about this (or whether the sticker was missing?):

(4) If the off-road vehicle is an all-terrain vehicle manufactured after December 31, 2001, it must display in plain view the overloading warning label that was affixed to the vehicle at the time of its manufacture to show the maximum weight capacity. O. Reg. 135/15, s. 3.

38 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Other than an ATV must be designed to carry 2 passengers rather than an aftermarket seat, are there any specific 'standards' that an ATV must meet to be road legal in Ontario? AFAIK, as long as your paperwork is in order & you're wearing a helmet, you are good to go. Am I missing anything?

(4) If the off-road vehicle is an all-terrain vehicle manufactured after December 31, 2001, it must display in plain view the overloading warning label that was affixed to the vehicle at the time of its manufacture to show the maximum weight capacity. O. Reg. 135/15, s. 3.

I think I'd maybe be in trouble.... The first thing I do whenever I get anything new is to remove those butt ugly orange and black on white warning labels that you find everywhere telling you not to be stupid.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I think I'd maybe be in trouble.... The first thing I do whenever I get anything new is to remove those butt ugly orange and black on white warning labels that you find everywhere telling you not to be stupid.

LOL

If you stop me next winter don't look @ the tunnel extension on my sled ☺️

Asking for someone that seems overly paranoid about the whole riding on road thing. 

23 hours ago, revrnd said:

Where do I begin?!?!?!  There are many..  reflex reflectors on all four corners facing outward, tire pressures, lights on at all times, brakes  etc....  Then you have UTV/side by side.  Standards for windshields, seat belts, width, power etc...

Here's what I want to see:  Helmet (on AND done up properly), "proper" speed, lights on, passenger compliance.  Paperwork if I stop you.  Do I really care about stickers that get chewed up the first few times through a dense trail.. NOPE!  (unless you convince me to care.. 😉 ).  I can only think of one or two officers that may actually look for those.  Neither work the trails anymore.  

22 hours ago, 02sled said:

Don't knock stupidity!!  It feeds my family!!!

22 hours ago, revrnd said:

LOL

If you stop me next winter don't look @ the tunnel extension on my sled ☺️

Asking for someone that seems overly paranoid about the whole riding on road thing. 

:lol2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

X2 on the helmet securement. When I pulled into the local gas station to fill up the Ranger on Weds', a friend gave me a heads up that 3 ATV riders had been ticketed in the village (2 separate incidents) for not having their helmets done up properly.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

X2 on the helmet securement. When I pulled into the local gas station to fill up the Ranger on Weds', a friend gave me a heads up that 3 ATV riders had been ticketed in the village (2 separate incidents) for not having their helmets done up properly.

Too bad they got the tickets but the pressure comes from way up the line.  And really, if the strap isn't on securely you might as well not even bother wearing the helmet.  

1 hour ago, odot1 said:

Too bad they got the tickets but the pressure comes from way up the line.  And really, if the strap isn't on securely you might as well not even bother wearing the helmet.  

As long as I've ridden a snowmobile (the 70s) or ATV (early 80s), I've ALWAYS made sure that the helmet is on properly. I imagine the motorcycle guys on here are of the same thought.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

MTO.MNRF-OPP closed down hwy 69 today.I had a question for Sean but I am so traumatized from the interrogation that i forgot what to ask him. I think it was about old trailer plates that might not be in the system anymore.

3 minutes ago, gtserider said:

MTO.MNRF-OPP closed down hwy 69 today.I had a question for Sean but I am so traumatized from the interrogation that i forgot what to ask him. I think it was about old trailer plates that might not be in the system anymore.

Uh oh...  this doesn't sound great...  feel free to PM if you need/want..

28 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Uh oh...  this doesn't sound great...  feel free to PM if you need/want..

Told them I was in a rush to take dog food to Rubert and all my fish comes from Nofrills.Yes I will. Tonight--not here.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, soupkid said:

Can you be charged with impaired on a bicycle?

No.  To be charged with impaired the vehicle must be driven or propelled by anything OTHER THAN muscular power.  However, should you be drunk riding a bike in public (off private property) you be arrested and fined for public intoxication and depending on the circumstances held until sober.

51 minutes ago, odot1 said:

No.  To be charged with impaired the vehicle must be driven or propelled by anything OTHER THAN muscular power.  However, should you be drunk riding a bike in public (off private property) you be arrested and fined for public intoxication and depending on the circumstances held until sober.

what about navigable items like a canoe or row boat :dunno:  I as sure you can be charged with impaired 

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

what about navigable items like a canoe or row boat :dunno:  I as sure you can be charged with impaired 

As they fall under the definition of vessel, yes it is technically possible to be charged with impaired.

6 minutes ago, odot1 said:

As they fall under the definition of vessel, yes it is technically possible to be charged with impaired.

Thanks Sean 

Funny I was reading up on golf carts, seems all these golf courses are breaking the law sell beer to the driver of the cart.  

lol a course I play crosses the road, always think of a RIDE setup there - scary :lol: 

Edited by 1trailmaker
  • Haha 1

Just now, stealth bomber said:

Can you get charged with impaired by moving the grass in the ditch in front of your house with a self propelled push mower?

You're using muscular power as part of the process.  You're not actually driving it, so I'd suggest no.  

On 6/1/2018 at 5:18 PM, 1trailmaker said:

Thanks Sean 

Funny I was reading up on golf carts, seems all these golf courses are breaking the law sell beer to the driver of the cart.  

lol a course I play crosses the road, always think of a RIDE setup there - scary :lol: 

They should set one up.  

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man, another question...lol.  Can my 9 year old daughter go on the back of my Harley? She can touch the foot pegs.  I seem to remember a guy in Barrie or somethin getting charged with child endangerment.   I would actually like to put her in front of me for the 1st ride to be honest, like when I was a kid.