PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

Just now, Algonquin Rider said:

So a 12yo can drive a SXS with 4 other kids on a trail even if its Crown or Private land trail?

Yup.  Under 12 requires parental supervision. Scary, eh??

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Yup.  Under 12 requires parental supervision. Scary, eh??

So who is responsible for the liability on Crown Land Trails and ATV Trails on Private Land? Would the Private Land Owners know this risk? A Sled operator on an OFSC Trail is covered with insurance.  What about a 10yo driving a SXS with passengers on Crown Land and have an accident. Who is liable? The insured SXS / Parents? Don't the ATV Clubs have to have insurance on Crown Land Trails like the OFAC Trails?

Just now, Algonquin Rider said:

So who is responsible for the liability on Crown Land Trails and ATV Trails on Private Land? Would the Private Land Owners know this risk? A Sled operator on an OFSC Trail is covered with insurance.  What about a 10yo driving a SXS with passengers on Crown Land and have an accident. Who is liable? The insured SXS / Parents? Don't the ATV Clubs have to have insurance on Crown Land Trails like the OFAC Trails?

ATV is where sledding was before OFSC.  A few organized trail systems but no unifying body and voice.  As for liability all atvs are required to be insured unless it's your atv on your property.  I'd assume the operational clubs have isurance akin to OFSC for their trail systems.  

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Odot1 have you ever heard of a "mobile RIDE"  :lol: 

Wife goes to an event in Aurora at some restaurant bar, leaving she gets pulled over with in a block

Cop "this is a mobile Ride" have you been drinking blah blah blah you've done nothing wrong blah blah

WTF

Isn't that illegal?

7 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Wife goes to an event in Aurora at some restaurant bar, leaving she gets pulled over with in a block

Cop "this is a mobile Ride" have you been drinking blah blah blah you've done nothing wrong blah blah

WTF

Isn't that illegal?

I have actually heard the term.  Not necessarily used in this context.  In this age of social media where evertbody posts the location of static RIDE check points officers are becoming more creative and fluid in where/when/how they conduct the checks in order to ensure it remains an efficient tool.  Aa for the legality of it, driving ihas been ruled a privilege and not a right under the charter.  This means thst a vehicle on the highway (the term for any road used by public) is subject to being stopped to ensure the driver is licenced, the vehicle properly documented and insured.  The courts took this further and allowed for tge random stopping of vehicles to ensure the sobriety of the driver.  As long as the officer is doing either the former or the latter he or she is operating under the parameters of the law.  This protection can not be used to simply go on "fishing trips" however, meaning the officer must be able to articulate the reasons for the stop.

8 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

WTF

Isn't that illegal?

Lucky that wasn't you.

Are they setup to test for pot yet? :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odot1 said:

I have actually heard the term.  Not necessarily used in this context.  In this age of social media where evertbody posts the location of static RIDE check points officers are becoming more creative and fluid in where/when/how they conduct the checks in order to ensure it remains an efficient tool.  Aa for the legality of it, driving ihas been ruled a privilege and not a right under the charter.  This means thst a vehicle on the highway (the term for any road used by public) is subject to being stopped to ensure the driver is licenced, the vehicle properly documented and insured.  The courts took this further and allowed for tge random stopping of vehicles to ensure the sobriety of the driver.  As long as the officer is doing either the former or the latter he or she is operating under the parameters of the law.  This protection can not be used to simply go on "fishing trips" however, meaning the officer must be able to articulate the reasons for the stop.

nothing more than "I saw you pull out of that restaurant"

either way Thanks Odot

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Little fire vs cop humour...  Been a while since I posted in here..  AND....if I create some sort of spin off hate comments...  start a new thread please..   I'd like to keep this going...(the question/answer...not the fire bashing..although......... :P )

shutup.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like my nephew when he was in about Grade 3. There was a female constable visiting his class. After she did her presentation, she asked if any of the kids if they had questions. I guess the nephew put his hand up & she said, "Yes?" To which he replied, "Is that a Glock that you carry?" I don't recall how that was finished, but I imagine her or the teacher were probably taken aback.

Edited by revrnd
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Algonquin Rider said:

Hey Sean, When you Guy's (SAVE) are on an open OFSC Trail in the Winter that is on Crown Land and an ATV with either tracks or tires is on the trail, what would happen to the ATV Driver? 

With the phasing out of the Land Use Agreements this has become grey area.  Before the agreements made the OFSC agents/occupiers of the land and we could enforce legislation that pertained to them.  No trail pass meant easy trespass charge and kicked off trail.  Without the agreement. the Crown remains the sole occupier and has no legislation in place for the ATV use on the trails...except of course they are NOT allowed within the boundaries on provincial parks.  I have also, in the past charged ATVers with criminal mischief for wrecking the trails intentionally.  It was usually settled out of court with restitution being made the riders.  We (OPP/SAVE/OFSC/stakeholders) need to figure this out ASAP.  I will report back to guys as soon as I get anything substantial.

Sean

Edited by odot1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, odot1 said:

With the phasing out of the Land Use Agreements this has become grey area.  Before the agreements made the OFSC agents/occupiers of the land and we could enforce legislation that pertained to them.  No trail pass meant easy trespass charge and kicked off trail.  Without the agreement. the Crown remains the sole occupier and has no legislation in place for the ATV use on the trails...except of course they are NOT allowed within the boundaries on provincial parks.  I have also, in the past charged ATVers with criminal mischief for wrecking the trails intentionally.  It was usually settled out of court with restitution being made the riders.  We (OPP/SAVE/OFSC/stakeholders) need to figure this out ASAP.  I will report back to guys as soon as I get anything substantial.

Sean

Soooo...  This turned out to be incredibly complicated.  I finally dug up a number for OFSC (almost impossible).  I spoke to their government programs/enforcement guru.  The first most bold point he made was the OFSC has nothing to do with grooming or any sort of trail management/issue.  He further made it clear the OFSC is an "umbrella corporation" spate from the clubs.  As I dug deeper here is what I've found...brace yourselves... Some clubs still have forms of the land user permit (LUP) but this depends greatly on the individual clubs AND the MNR district in which they reside.  So for example, OFSC District 2.  The L and A Ridge Runners may have an LUP in place but the Bancroft area club may not.  What seems to be happening is that the MNR is distancing itself from any form of restricted/regulated access on Crown land.  This has an effect of reducing enforcement opportunities when it comes to keeping ATVs off trails within crown land areas.  I know that really doesn't completely answer the question on any sort of larger scale area...but it's the best I've got for now.  There is a stakeholder meeting soon..  MTO/OPP etc to discuss bringing the MSVA and the ORVA act more in line with each other and perhaps something will come from that.  Sorry guys!!!

On 10/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, odot1 said:

Soooo...  This turned out to be incredibly complicated.  I finally dug up a number for OFSC (almost impossible).  I spoke to their government programs/enforcement guru.  The first most bold point he made was the OFSC has nothing to do with grooming or any sort of trail management/issue.  He further made it clear the OFSC is an "umbrella corporation" spate from the clubs.  As I dug deeper here is what I've found...brace yourselves... Some clubs still have forms of the land user permit (LUP) but this depends greatly on the individual clubs AND the MNR district in which they reside.  So for example, OFSC District 2.  The L and A Ridge Runners may have an LUP in place but the Bancroft area club may not.  What seems to be happening is that the MNR is distancing itself from any form of restricted/regulated access on Crown land.  This has an effect of reducing enforcement opportunities when it comes to keeping ATVs off trails within crown land areas.  I know that really doesn't completely answer the question on any sort of larger scale area...but it's the best I've got for now.  There is a stakeholder meeting soon..  MTO/OPP etc to discuss bringing the MSVA and the ORVA act more in line with each other and perhaps something will come from that.  Sorry guys!!!

Thanks for the info Sean. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, grggade said:

thanks AGAIN  Sean for all your time on these topics ,,,,

My pleasure!  Looking forward to (hopefully) a better sled season this year!  Keep the questions coming.  

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Downtown on University Avenue today..... a little out of his jurisdiction, ain't he?  :)

NYPD.JPG

Lmfao!!!  Jut a little!!  Saw similar in Montreal over tge summer....  poaching bastards!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

I wonder if this is legit on business or being used in a movie like often happens 

Movie...  No plates on it..  Usually when out of province forces come here for business its done in plain cars or a flight/rental car deal.  

On 10/4/2017 at 9:13 PM, odot1 said:

Little fire vs cop humour...  Been a while since I posted in here..  AND....if I create some sort of spin off hate comments...  start a new thread please..   I'd like to keep this going...(the question/answer...not the fire bashing..although......... :P )

shutup.jpg

A few years back I was getting some firefighting training at work. The instructor said that they always let the over excited police officers secure the area first. If they drop to the ground then the firefighters know it's a dangerous chemical fire and put their oxygen masks on before going forward. He was kidding of course.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the eastbound 401 between Ajax & Whitby passing thru the new 412 interchange. I was in the slow lane driving beside the on ramp from the 412 when 3 vehicles that I had passed earlier, drove by on the ramp. Is there any reg' proscribing using an on or off ramp as a passing lane? 

This isn't the 1st time I've seen something like this.

There is no specific "pass on ramp" but could charge with "pass on right - not in safety" or could stretch it and go with "pass - off roadway" and hope the justice agrees with the interpretation. 

• Like 1