PERSONAL opinions of an OPP SAVE officer

odot1

Couple of things you could answer?

Railway crossing,what is the fine for crossing a rail track.We have an shittty situation where we pay for the x but they took it out with maintenance. In the course of trail opening we discovered this. I know how to get across,listen to rail,3 people.

What regs apply to a tracked Argo. Lake,closed trail on crown land?

How is Rubert doing.

5 hours ago, gtserider said:

Couple of things you could answer?

Railway crossing,what is the fine for crossing a rail track.We have an shittty situation where we pay for the x but they took it out with maintenance. In the course of trail opening we discovered this. I know how to get across,listen to rail,3 people.

What regs apply to a tracked Argo. Lake,closed trail on crown land?

How is Rubert doing.

Crossing a rail line at an unmarked location is considered trespassing so could be the $65 total fine under trespass to property act or could also fall under the Railway Safety Act in which case the fine starts around $115 I believe...this is a federal regualtion as well so you could be slapped with a court appearance.  Highly unlikely but I want you to have as much info as possible!!

Argos would be covered under to off-road vehcile act and all requirements apply including helmets and plates.  Technically on the water they become a vessel and as such would require the related safety gear including life jackets.  

Rupert is doing awesome!!  Such a great dog, really think he aopted me! He has become very affectionate as he grows older.  Thank you for asking 

Sean

Question for you about towing a ATV.

On hwy 400 today i saw a SUV with a trailer hitch box carrier.  In the carrier the driver had strapped down the rear wheels of Can Am Renegade and the front wheels were on running on the road surface.  

Is it legal to pull an atv behind a SUV on the highway?  Or have the wheels running on the highway surface instead of being pulled on a trailer?

I wish i could have grabbed a picture but snow storm and heavy traffic prevented it.

44 minutes ago, Sksman said:

On hwy 400 today i saw a SUV with a trailer hitch box carrier.  In the carrier the driver had strapped down the rear wheels of Can Am Renegade and the front wheels were on running on the road surface.  

Is it legal to pull an atv behind a SUV on the highway?  Or have the wheels running on the highway surface instead of being pulled on a trailer?

I wish i could have grabbed a picture but snow storm and heavy traffic prevented it.

Wow!!  I can't see tha being legit.  I will have to double check to ensure my answer is 100%  Let me get back to you on that one...

Sean

A pic would've great...  I/m still shocked!1

2 hours ago, odot1 said:

Crossing a rail line at an unmarked location is considered trespassing so could be the $65 total fine under trespass to property act or could also fall under the Railway Safety Act in which case the fine starts around $115 I believe...this is a federal regualtion as well so you could be slapped with a court appearance.  Highly unlikely but I want you to have as much info as possible!!

Argos would be covered under to off-road vehcile act and all requirements apply including helmets and plates.  Technically on the water they become a vessel and as such would require the related safety gear including life jackets.  

Rupert is doing awesome!!  Such a great dog, really think he aopted me! He has become very affectionate as he grows older.  Thank you for asking 

Sean

Not worried about the fine on the rail crossing it's the train that hurts.The xing is only accessible in the winter--barely.

So when does ice become water in the technical scence?

Our 2 older labs get better with age.Good to hear Rupert is looking after you.

• Like 1

Just now, gtserider said:

Not worried about the fine on the rail crossing it's the train that hurts.The xing is only accessible in the winter--barely.

So when does ice become water in the technical scence?

Our 2 older labs get better with age.Good to hear Rupert is looking after you.

Ahhh..sorry, missed that.  If frozen enough to drive on, the argo would not be considered a vessel...  back to being Off Road Vehicle.  And yeah, gotta love the Labs...  great dogs for sure..  Still miss my original one. 

12 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Ahhh..sorry, missed that.  If frozen enough to drive on, the argo would not be considered a vessel...  back to being Off Road Vehicle.  And yeah, gotta love the Labs...  great dogs for sure..  Still miss my original one. 

My original was named CAPTAIN.--first boat in 1964.first sled in 69.Before the MSVA and all the other BS you have to work with. Thanks for the info. Scratch the big guys ears for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gtserider said:

My original was named CAPTAIN.--first boat in 1964.first sled in 69.Before the MSVA and all the other BS you have to work with. Thanks for the info. Scratch the big guys ears for me.

Oh I had a funny today,Got to tell a cop where to go.He was blocking are road and my uninsured unlicensed plow truck that doesn,t really have reverse.He was very apologetic and skidded that piece of crap  dodge thing he was driiving down the hwy. 

• Like 1

I bet that box carrier is not even rated for that kind of weight.  And if the guy claims it's a "trailer", I bet he could get nailed for improper hitch, no trailer reg/license, etc. 

I'd love to know how the thing went around corners..... without squealing or blowing the SxS's tires....... Lol

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Edited by Puzzleboy

20 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I bet that box carrier is not even rated for that kind of weight.  And if the guy claims it's a "trailer", I bet he could get nailed for improper hitch, no trailer reg/license, etc. 

I'd love to know how the thing went around corners..... without squealing or blowing the SxS's tires....... Lol

Pics on Groomer Guys face page.

54 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Pretty sure ATV tires not for highway use also. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sksman said:

This is the guy i saw.  

IMG_0151.JPG

Yup , illegal!!!!  I was think the two wheel car carrier for some reason.  Too be fair I just had my tonsils ripped out, uvula cut out and nose rebuilt..  Morphine clouding everything!!  Without question absolutely illegal.  Traffic coppers dream right there!!!

Wow, that sounds like a tough arrest with all that damage.....

6 hours ago, odot1 said:

Yup , illegal!!!!  I was think the two wheel car carrier for some reason.  Too be fair I just had my tonsils ripped out, uvula cut out and nose rebuilt..  Morphine clouding everything!!  Without question absolutely illegal.  Traffic coppers dream right there!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odot1 said:

Feel better soon. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!  I'd never ever recommend tonsils out this late in life (44).  By far the worst pain I've ever experienced   And I've done many stupidly painful things in my time!!  And of course. All new snow and trails green again... Sigh....

• Like 1

How do we make aftermarket exhaust modifying decibel mufflers illegal to possess in Ontario ?

I like the sound of any ripping engine but they are destroying  years of dedication and commitment to this sport and access to those willing to allow access to their private property. The only exclusion would be closed competition with a permit. The noise, revelry and disrespect has to stop and it seems pretty simple to me. Accused and found with a can and you're fined and it's confiscated.

No ??

Edited by Tinker
  • Like 1

Its a weird loophole...akin to say RADAR detectors.  Illegal to use but not purchase or possess.  Many laws like that.  Certainly they can be fined for using any non-stock muffler/exhaust along a trail or roadway but there are no provisions to seize the piece of equipment.  You could probably stretch a few pieces of legislation and articulate a seizure but that's not really what those pieces of legislation were intended for.  I know the guys in my unit will always fine an offender but that's a few sleds out of thousands.  Like you, I don't understand why some feel they need louder exhaust.  To me it sounds stupid and would get irritating on a longer ride.  I include motorcycles in this as well.  I also see people running off the trails far too often and again don't understand why...  Go find your own private property for that. 

As for your question..  to make possession illegal you'd have to start by petitioning your local MPP or any sled minded MPP with similar thoughts and have him/her introduce a private members bill.  Perhaps make it an enviro issue?   Get petitions going as well...  This is how ATV's and now side by sides are now road legal.