Positive turn?

From one of his biggest fan clubs.MC should approve...

7-in-10 speech-watchers say Trump boosted optimism

150519144125-jennifer-agiesta-profile-sm

By Jennifer Agiesta, CNN Polling Director

Updated 9:06 AM ET, Wed March 1, 2017

CNN/ORC poll: Trump receives positive reviews

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
1:04

Story highlights

• Trump scored the highest marks for his proposed policies on the economy
  • Almost two-thirds said Trump has the right priorities for the country

(CNN)President Donald Trump's first address to Congress received largely positive reviews from viewers, with 57% who tuned in saying they had a very positive reaction to the speech, according to a new CNN/ORC poll of speech-watchers.

Nearly 7-in-10 who watched said the President's proposed policies would move the country in the right direction and almost two-thirds said the president has the right priorities for the country. Overall, about 7-in-10 said the speech made them feel more optimistic about the direction of the country.
The survey, conducted among a group of Americans who said in interviews conducted before the speech that they planned to watch and agreed to be re-contacted, only reflects the views of those who watched the speech, not of all Americans.
People who choose to watch a political speech such as this one tend to be more supportive of the speaker. In this case, the pool of speech-watchers was about eight points more Republican than the population as a whole.
On specific issues, Trump scored the highest marks for his proposed policies on the economy, with 72% saying those went in the right direction. Almost as many, 70%, said the same about his terrorism proposals. Slightly fewer, but still a majority, felt his policies on taxes (64%), immigration (62%) or health care (61%) were heading in the right direction.
Ideologically, about two-thirds saw Trump's speech as about right, while roughly on-quarter (26%) pegged it as too conservative. Just 8% said it wasn't conservative enough.
While the 57% who said they had a very positive reaction to Trump's speech outpaces the marks received by his predecessor for any of his recent State of the Union addresses, they fell below the reviews either Barack Obama or George W. Bush received for either of their initial addresses to Congress. In 2009, 68% had a very positive reaction to Obama, while 66% gave Bush very positive reviews in 2001. Likewise, the 69% of speech-watchers who thought Trump's policies would move the nation in the right direction lagged behind the share who felt that way about Obama's or Bush's policies in the first year, and ranks around their low-marks on this score. Obama's low-mark on that score was 68% last year and his high was 88% in 2009. Bush topped out at 91% in 2002 and hit a low mark of 67% in the final year of his presidency.
The CNN/ORC Poll was conducted February 28 among 509 Americans who watched President Trump's speech. Respondents were first interviewed as part of a random national sample conducted February 24-27. In those interviews, respondents indicated they planned to watch tonight's speech and were willing to be re-interviewed. Results for the full sample have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Mainecat said:

Ya but he used a teleprompter and we all know the rethugs here hate that.....lmao

His message was still on track with how he campaigned.  

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Ya but he used a teleprompter and we all know the rethugs here hate that.....lmao

Stop being a hack long enough to acknowledge his performance was his best yet. 

• Like 1

I have to say that was more love I've seen for Trump on CNN to date yet.   It wasn't much but how they have been it was slightly different.  

MC. You truly are a bitter man. With your attitude no one will ever want to agree with anything you say. Life is all about compromise, you will never get everything you want in life.

Trump is a complete duffus. Yet he is where he is partially because of people like you. Normal people just hate the elitist attitude most liberals have. You're like a spoiled child.

Act like an adult and maybe you will be treated like an adult. Constant complaining about every little thing is exactly what a 12 year old does. Man up.  

• Like 2

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yeah he read words someone else wrote off a teleprompter until he went off at the end.

A teleprompter.....lmao

You really are a pathetic little man. Obama used a teleprompter and you sucked his dick. You hypocrite hack!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yeah he read words someone else wrote off a teleprompter until he went off at the end.

A teleprompter.....lmao

You quite possibly are the biggest child here

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

please.  like our president. please 

You don't have to like him. Or anyone. Just man up and don't be a winney little cunt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

His message was still on track with how he campaigned.  

I thought he did pretty good. Few things he said i disagree with but others i agree. 

I will say this, I believe this was the first time i can remember that a newly elected president spoke about actual issues that people care about and acted like he is GOING to do something about them. Pretty much every president I can remember just mouthed off a bunch of prepared bullshit and had really no intention of doing any of it. Whether you agree with what he says he wants to do or not, i respect that he is dedicated (or appears so) to actually DOING it. 

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

I will say this, I believe this was the first time i can remember that a newly elected president spoke about actual issues that people care about and acted like he is GOING to do something about them. Pretty much every president I can remember just mouthed off a bunch of prepared bullshit and had really no intention of doing any of it. Whether you agree with what he says he wants to do or not, i respect that he is dedicated (or appears so) to actually DOING it. 

If he campaigned like Obama and governed like Trump, that would be one thing.

But everyone knew what they got when they got Trump. Then act surprised he governs like Trump.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

maybe he'll turn into this goofy looking, malignant narcissist that's insulting and assholelike, yet really does give a shit. my mind is always open to a person making changes. all i've seen so far is decisive chatter and partisan attacks. but we will see. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

maybe he'll turn into this goofy looking, malignant narcissist that's insulting and assholelike, yet really does give a shit. my mind is always open to a person making changes. all i've seen so far is decisive chatter and partisan attacks. but we will see. 

I agree with the childish tweeting and behavior being embarrassing. But im going to give him a chance. What else are you gonna do?

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Dem reply to him, after the speech, the first 4 minutes of it sounded like the speech TRUMP JUST GAVE! He all but agreed with Trump through the 'Not-specifically-bashing-Trump' phase. It sounded to me like he had no idea what Trump was going to say, and wrote a bash piece based on his wrong assumption.

Paid family leave? HOW CONSERVATIVE OF HIM!!!!

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Ill say this too... I dont mind Trump as much as i do some Trump supporters. We have a guy in the office who is just a miserable mother. And then some of my friends just talk some retarded shit. Its mind numbing. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I agree with the childish tweeting and behavior being embarrassing. But im going to give him a chance. What else are you gonna do?

i'm in the business of giving people second chances. but the proof is in the doing. if he takes the energy that he uses to appease his ignorant followers and protect his fragile, ever in need of a stroke ego, and channels it into something positive, id get behind him. i'm waiting  

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the Dem reply to him, after the speech, the first 4 minutes of it sounded like the speech TRUMP JUST GAVE! He all but agreed with Trump through the 'Not-specifically-bashing-Trump' phase. It sounded to me like he had no idea what Trump was going to say, and wrote a bash piece based on his wrong assumption.

Paid family leave? HOW CONSERVATIVE OF HIM!!!!

the dems really dont look good in any of this. They look like they are just being cunts for the sake of being cunts. $1 trillion in infrastructure spending? thats sounds right up the dems alley. If you cant agree on common ground then you are just a cunt. 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Ill say this too... I dont mind Trump as much as i do some Trump supporters. We have a guy in the office who is just a miserable mother. And then some of my friends just talk some retarded shit. Its mind numbing. 

That goes for the dog catcher all the way to President; let's be honest.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

the dems really dont look good in any of this. They look like they are just being cunts for the sake of being cunts. $1 trillion in infrastructure spending? thats sounds right up the dems alley. If you cant agree on common ground then you are just a cunt. 

they really are looking pathetic.